Can I receive the Age Pension while living overseas?

While you may baulk at the idea of leaving our wonderful country, for some seniors, it’s their best option. Whether they are reuniting with family abroad, are dual citizens, are looking to experience another culture or searching for a budget-friendly place to live, it raises the question: Are they still eligible for the Australian Age Pension?

One such senior asked this question to the Sydney Morning Herald. Their full question is as follows:

‘I intend to retire at the end of 2023 at the age of 64. As a dual-national, I will be moving to Italy as a self-funded retiree, drawing initially on my Australian superannuation. Should my super balance drop below the Centrelink age pension threshold for singles in the future and current pension rules remain unchanged, could I access any Centrelink assistance as an Australian citizen living abroad? What government pension entitlements would I be eligible for when I reach 67?’

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 11.07.46 am.png
Looking to move overseas? Here’s everything you need to know about the impact on your pension. Image Credit: Shutterstock

What a fantastic question! George Cochrane, a superannuation and retirement expert, was kind enough to answer.

Services Australia states that ‘to get Age Pension you generally need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total. For at least 5 of these years, there must be no break in your residence.’

There are, however, social security agreements that may help you claim if you’re living or have lived and worked in certain countries. You’ll need to confirm whether the country you are moving to/living in holds a social security agreement with Australia.

In this particular case, they are moving to Italy. Australia and Italy have a current agreement in place requiring that ‘your total Australian residence combined with your period(s) of
coverage in Italy must add up to at least 10 years’.

If you live outside Australia when you claim, you generally need at least 12 months of Australian ‘Working Life Residence’, of which 6 months must be in one period. This simply means you must have worked for at least 12 months between the ages of 16 and 67.

Need help? International Services can:
  • help you claim a pension from any country with a social security agreement with Australia
  • advise on how to claim a pension from a country without an agreement.

Ready to claim?

Claim forms can be found on Services Australia’s website:
Claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus
Income and Assets form

You can then print these out and submit them according to the postal address on the form. You can also take the forms with you to your nearest service centre.

Alternatively, you can use your myGov account to fill out the forms electronically. Please note that your myGov and Centrelink accounts must be linked.
Not sure how to link your accounts? Services Australia has provided step-by-step instructions for your convenience. You can read more here.

You can submit your claim in the 13 weeks before you reach Age Pension age.

Eligibility

The age eligibility, according to Services Australia, is:

On 1 July 2021, the Age Pension age increased to 66 years and 6 months for people born from 1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956, inclusive.

If your birthdate is on or after 1 January 1957, you’ll have to wait until you turn 67. This will be the Age Pension age from 1 July 2023.

How much will I be paid?

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.14.38 am.png
The maximum basic rate and Basic Pension Supplement rate when you’re living outside Australia. Image Credit: Services Australia.

The maximum single age pension paid overseas is $25,038.

As Cochrane explains, this is ‘lower than that paid to residents, as you only get the basic pension supplement of $681.40 a year and lose the energy supplement of $366.60’.

To be eligible for the full pension, your assets must be below the $280,000 threshold or $419,000 for couples ($504,500 for non-homeowners or $643,500 for couples), and your fortnightly income must be below $190.

To receive a part pension paid overseas, your assets need to be below $601,000 for single homeowners ($904,500 for couples) or $825,500 for single non-homeowners ($1,129,000 for couples), along with fortnightly income below $2116.

You can read more on pension rates payable outside Australia here.

So there you go! Depending on the country, you may still be eligible for a pension paid overseas. Be sure to check your eligibility, members, so you don’t miss out!

Sponsored
I'm not sure that is right that a person only had to have lived in Australia for 10 years and only have worked 1 year.

it used to be 20years and it should be at least 20 years if not more.

I've heard how people move to Australia , work just so that when they retire they can receive a pension.

My husbands uncle and aunt moved to Australia in 1958 , worked hard and returned to Greece in 1979 . When they became the age for the pension they came back and applied and received the pension .

They lived like king and queen in Greece as the Australia pension was more than what the Greeks monthly wage was.

To me no one should receive an Australian pension unless they have been in Australia for 30 years or more. Then the money they would save on this give it to the Australian Pensioners .

The government just can't get things right

My neighbour has just recently returned to live in her home country Ireland.
To keep her full Australian pension she had to have lived in Australia for 30 years and had work for a certain period
(which she had). She is now in Ireland and receiving full pension.

Reactions: Granny*Deb and Ian1
I have lived and worked in Australia over half my life and am now retired in Australia, I am unable to ever have a pension unless I divorce my husband or he passed away, as he is younger than me, I have worked since I was sixteen to 67 yrs and my tax was always classed as single, but alas none for me because my husband earns over $90,000.00 a year, if I remove myself back to NZ I will be given my entitlement doesn’t matter what my husband earns over there

Yes, it's an unfair condition and why many married couples separate legally though still share a house or else couples who are defacto state they are not so they can both get the single aged pension, it's totally hypocritical. If two people have both worked and paid taxes why should they be descriminated because they are married. Being moral and honest in Australia these days is not valued

The advice from Centrelink that you can apply for the pension 13 weeks before you are eligible is very misleading. I retired last July, so to have the paperwork in place I filled in the forms 12 weeks before I retired. Of course I was rejected because I was earning an income at the date of application. I had to re-apply for the Aged pension again after I retired, and although it was back-paid, I had to wait 10 weeks for my first payment, so make sure you have enough to tide you over until payments begin.

My neighbour has just recently returned to live in her home country Ireland.
To keep her full Australian pension she had to have lived in Australia for 30 years and had work for a certain period
(which she had). She is now in Ireland and receiving full pension.
And that's how it should be ..not 10 years and 1 year working

I have lived and worked in Australia over half my life and am now retired in Australia, I am unable to ever have a pension unless I divorce my husband or he passed away, as he is younger than me, I have worked since I was sixteen to 67 yrs and my tax was always classed as single, but alas none for me because my husband earns over $90,000.00 a year, if I remove myself back to NZ I will be given my entitlement doesn’t matter what my husband earns over there
My aunty married someone 12 years younger and she can't get the pension due to hubby working although he maybe able to retire soon and go on disability due to just about being a cripple, he has 4 years until retirement

Reactions: Ezzy
Looks like people get very ripped off with their pension here and even if they go and live abroad. It's like Big Brother is watching you all the time just in case they pay you a few cents too much. 🙄

I'm still a British Citizen, but a permanent resident. I get the UK state pension sent here which is one fixed rate for singles and couples depending on how long you paid into it while working.

None of your assets or any other money affects what pensioners get unlike here. It gets increased every year in the UK and only in certain countries that people emigrate to depending on what reciprocal arrangements the UK has with them. However, Australia (part of the commonwealth) isn't one of them so I've had no increase for 4 years and won't ever get one unless they change the system at some time? 😕
I've also got a small UK work pension and savings so I'm all self funded. And can't claim for Oz pension for 10 years and not eligible for any sort of benefits other then Medicare.

Reactions: Happymad and Marj53
My husband is an age pensioner (70yo), but is not receiving full pension (single). Because I am still working at the moment. My income is affecting his pension.
I have no issue with this. Combined you are living above a pensioner entitlement. Just because you are of age does not mean you have an automatic entitlement. If you want to complain and live on less, give up your job and both live on less money.

I have no issue with this. Combined you are living above a pensioner entitlement. Just because you are of age does not mean you have an automatic entitlement. If you want to complain and live on less, give up your job and both live on less money.
Yes, that is good point :)

Reactions: Marj53
Yes, that is good point :)
Not really, since people work independently of one another even though they are married. It should be based on an individual basis doesn't matter if you are married. If I turn 67 before my husband why can I not get the pension? No wonder people divorce in old age just so that they can survive. It seems the more you are dishonest (as with taxes) the more the government supports you.

Not really, since people work independently of one another even though they are married. It should be based on an individual basis doesn't matter if you are married. If I turn 67 before my husband why can I not get the pension? No wonder people divorce in old age just so that they can survive. It seems the more you are dishonest (as with taxes) the more the government supports you.
True

I was advised by Services Australia, that if I were to travel to another country and stay abroad for more than 3 months, I would loose the entire pension. This seems unfair when I hear of this arrangement of being able to live in another country and still be paid basic pension which is more than nothing.
I have a question unrelated to overseas pension. What income can I earn yearly (gross income) and still maintain my full pension?

While you may baulk at the idea of leaving our wonderful country, for some seniors, it’s their best option. Whether they are reuniting with family abroad, are dual citizens, are looking to experience another culture or searching for a budget-friendly place to live, it raises the question: Are they still eligible for the Australian Age Pension?

One such senior asked this question to the Sydney Morning Herald. Their full question is as follows:

‘I intend to retire at the end of 2023 at the age of 64. As a dual-national, I will be moving to Italy as a self-funded retiree, drawing initially on my Australian superannuation. Should my super balance drop below the Centrelink age pension threshold for singles in the future and current pension rules remain unchanged, could I access any Centrelink assistance as an Australian citizen living abroad? What government pension entitlements would I be eligible for when I reach 67?’

View attachment 15524
Looking to move overseas? Here’s everything you need to know about the impact on your pension. Image Credit: Shutterstock

What a fantastic question! George Cochrane, a superannuation and retirement expert, was kind enough to answer.

Services Australia states that ‘to get Age Pension you generally need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total. For at least 5 of these years, there must be no break in your residence.’

There are, however, social security agreements that may help you claim if you’re living or have lived and worked in certain countries. You’ll need to confirm whether the country you are moving to/living in holds a social security agreement with Australia.

In this particular case, they are moving to Italy. Australia and Italy have a current agreement in place requiring that ‘your total Australian residence combined with your period(s) of
coverage in Italy must add up to at least 10 years’.

If you live outside Australia when you claim, you generally need at least 12 months of Australian ‘Working Life Residence’, of which 6 months must be in one period. This simply means you must have worked for at least 12 months between the ages of 16 and 67.

Need help? International Services can:
  • help you claim a pension from any country with a social security agreement with Australia
  • advise on how to claim a pension from a country without an agreement.

Ready to claim?

Claim forms can be found on Services Australia’s website:
Claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus
Income and Assets form

You can then print these out and submit them according to the postal address on the form. You can also take the forms with you to your nearest service centre.

Alternatively, you can use your myGov account to fill out the forms electronically. Please note that your myGov and Centrelink accounts must be linked.
Not sure how to link your accounts? Services Australia has provided step-by-step instructions for your convenience. You can read more here.

You can submit your claim in the 13 weeks before you reach Age Pension age.

Eligibility

The age eligibility, according to Services Australia, is:

On 1 July 2021, the Age Pension age increased to 66 years and 6 months for people born from 1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956, inclusive.

If your birthdate is on or after 1 January 1957, you’ll have to wait until you turn 67. This will be the Age Pension age from 1 July 2023.

How much will I be paid?

View attachment 15523
The maximum basic rate and Basic Pension Supplement rate when you’re living outside Australia. Image Credit: Services Australia.

The maximum single age pension paid overseas is $25,038.

As Cochrane explains, this is ‘lower than that paid to residents, as you only get the basic pension supplement of $681.40 a year and lose the energy supplement of $366.60’.

To be eligible for the full pension, your assets must be below the $280,000 threshold or $419,000 for couples ($504,500 for non-homeowners or $643,500 for couples), and your fortnightly income must be below $190.

To receive a part pension paid overseas, your assets need to be below $601,000 for single homeowners ($904,500 for couples) or $825,500 for single non-homeowners ($1,129,000 for couples), along with fortnightly income below $2116.

You can read more on pension rates payable outside Australia here.

So there you go! Depending on the country, you may still be eligible for a pension paid overseas. Be sure to check your eligibility, members, so you don’t miss out!
I have lived & paid tax in Australia from 1986 to 2007 ... I was medically discharged at the age of 55 due to a complete physical & mental breakdown.

I became a disability pensioner in 2008 & have been unable to work since ... at first though, ie 2007, the OZ govt made me spend all of my savings first! HOW CRUEL.

In 2013, I was still living in Perth, Western Australia & had to sell my home just to live ... I thought of going home to New Zealand where I still have extensive family & friends. I was told that I wouldn't get my Australian Disability Pension & the NZ government refused to give me any monetary assistance unless I had worked & paid tax for the 10 years previous. They ignored the fact that I had been paying tax from the age of 16 to 34 in NZ.

In 2015 I was told that if I left the country OZ for more than 28 days, I would lose my disability pension! I originally wanted to travel overseas for 3 months, but due to this regulation I had to condense my travel to 29 days (I had to get government approval for one extra day!)

in 2013 i relocated from Perth to Coolangatta and i feel very isolated here.

I loathe living in Queensland as it is just too hot & humid for me.

Can someone please provide me with a response to my statements & to inform me in an 'easy' way, not legalise speak, as after my coma in 2016, the analytical part of my brain refuses to engage? HELP!

Thank you ... Di Booth