Cafe owner gets fined after selling “overpriced” decaf coffee to customer, believes the penalty is “outdated”

We've all been there – you're out and about, you're enjoying a nice cup of coffee, and then you see the price. And it's more than you were expecting. Maybe you grumble to yourself, maybe you even say something to the barista. But would you ever go so far as to call the police?

Apparently, one Italian customer did just that. Francesco Sanapo, the owner of an Italian cafe, was recently fined after a customer called the police over the cost of his espresso. The customer was charged €2 ($3) and phoned the police, leaving Sanapo irate.

The average cost of espresso in Italy is €1 ($1.50). So why was this customer so upset? Sanapo took to Instagram to defend the cost of his coffee, explaining that it is the cost of a quality espresso these days. And he has a point – good coffee isn't cheap. The video of his explanation quickly went viral.

But regardless of the cost of coffee, Francesco believes the customer "would have made the same scenes anyway."

Please note that the video is in Italian. Credit: Instagram/@sanapofrancesco

The cafe owner further explained the issue in a video posted on Instagram, saying: "They fined me because they paid 2 euros for my espresso. This can't go through, it can't happen."

"Help me!!! Please help me to spread the word, to spread this message of mine, my outburst alone will remain in vain."

He also justified that he uses the highest quality decaffeinated coffee blend and water extraction process for his espressos, hence the price of each drink.

Francesco took a stand against what he sees as an "outdated" fine levied against him for not displaying the cost of his espressos clearly.

The cafe owner also said that the prices of his drinks were presented "in the menu QR code".

"I believe that with everything that is administered in bars today, this law has a lot of absurdity and should be changed, otherwise 99.9% of bars and restaurants would be easily mistaken," he quipped.

"I am not one who uses social media to complain, but this time they have touched a key that is too important for me and for the entire hospitality sector and in particular for the coffee/cafeteria world."

"The idea that this man is now walking around proud of himself, believing that he has given a lesson, that he has done justice, this just does not suit me and I sincerely hope that this video somehow gets to him so that he can maybe have the opportunity to meet him and confront each other."

The cafe owner's video has gone viral, which he said that he did not expect.

He said: "I posted the video but never, ever thought it would go viral."

"Mine was just an outlet and a form of disappointment manifested to my followers, but in the morning when I woke up I realised that something strong had happened. My video had been shared over and over again."

"The prices in my restaurant are highlighted. The only one that was missing was the decaf and that is why I was fined, but believe me if I had had the price displayed, I would not have taken the fine but this customer would have made the same scenes anyway."

Francesco said that the customer was not "outraged" because the price wasn't displayed. Rather, he was upset "over the price".

He said: "I often get criticised for the price of my coffee, but I go on my way, I don't want to generate poverty, I don't want to sell espresso for 1 euro and serve low quality. 1 euro is no longer sustainable and I will fight with all my strength to get this message across."

"Coffee is my life, my main passion is my mission is to tell about its beauty and goodness."

vafCHf6A7BHxTywK4wnWXpmPQrSo4i0BISXcA6xmYihaFccYT7i8ZNNAwTv5DkyVnXszLDPtJ8c2X_9aV1VZJJAtrkcEXRZcuuZSRD1vfrcL_XorDCd-zrcUCrO3s3I5seyduYHUsfybYOcd

Francesco claimed that he uses high-quality decaffeinated coffee and water extraction process for his espressos, justifying the price of his drink. Credit: Instagram/@sanapofrancesco.

A number of cafe owners and customers have expressed their support for Francesco.

One person wrote: "The hype of this news will fade within a few hours, the quality of its premises and its loyal customers will not."

"I fully understand your indignation. Highest esteem for you and what you have built."

"I often come to you for coffee and I recommend it to tourists who stay with me," another added.

"Sorry to read what happened."

Francesco responded to the support from other users, writing: "Thanks for your words."

However, others joined the customer in complaining about the price of his drink.

One comment read: "You charge 2 euros for an espresso and you even show yourself in the face to justify and explain a madness."

"2 euros for an espresso is a robbery... shame!"

Meanwhile, some users pointed out that the "shame" should be borne by the customer who called the police.

One person said: "It's a shame. Incorrect customer."

"When people don't know the real value of things go like this!" another said.

A third chimed in: "Trivially I find that you pay for quality. If you think the price is too high, don't go back. I'm very sorry but I hope this episode doesn't discourage you."

LaBczkMAId2-71VZuno1aRDhlsKMirBsEKEO6MZVDtB2Kjqk1DXUmjWKz6fkRb_TcfFFyNF2h19ZqvvLzqAJtXMy-5MOKSya_b4n31UpVXL8sdMatmvOOG0o00VFzbPELraDU35zWVRpCAwq

A number of his customers and other cafe owners expressed their support for Francesco. Credit: Getty Images.

One cafe owner went as far as to describe Francesco's story as a 'game-changer', writing: "Be proud of yourself. Maybe they don't know that the other decaffeinated products are chemically treated to be such."

How about you? Do you think the customer was in the right to call the police over the price of the coffee or do the cafe owner's arguments make much more sense? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: BJM
Sponsored
Cafe owner gets fined after selling “overpriced” decaf coffee to customer, believes the penalty is “outdated”

We've all been there – you're out and about, you're enjoying a nice cup of coffee, and then you see the price. And it's more than you were expecting. Maybe you grumble to yourself, maybe you even say something to the barista. But would you ever go so far as to call the police?

Apparently, one Italian customer did just that. Francesco Sanapo, the owner of an Italian cafe, was recently fined after a customer called the police over the cost of his espresso. The customer was charged €2 ($3) and phoned the police, leaving Sanapo irate.

The average cost of espresso in Italy is €1 ($1.50). So why was this customer so upset? Sanapo took to Instagram to defend the cost of his coffee, explaining that it is the cost of a quality espresso these days. And he has a point – good coffee isn't cheap. The video of his explanation quickly went viral.

But regardless of the cost of coffee, Francesco believes the customer "would have made the same scenes anyway."

The cafe owner further explained the issue in a video posted on Instagram, saying: "They fined me because they paid 2 euros for my espresso. This can't go through, it can't happen."

"Help me!!! Please help me to spread the word, to spread this message of mine, my outburst alone will remain in vain."

He also justified that he uses the highest quality decaffeinated coffee blend and water extraction process for his espressos, hence the price of each drink.

Francesco took a stand against what he sees as an "outdated" fine levied against him for not displaying the cost of his espressos clearly.

The cafe owner also said that the prices of his drinks were presented "in the menu QR code".

"I believe that with everything that is administered in bars today, this law has a lot of absurdity and should be changed, otherwise 99.9% of bars and restaurants would be easily mistaken," he quipped.

"I am not one who uses social media to complain, but this time they have touched a key that is too important for me and for the entire hospitality sector and in particular for the coffee/cafeteria world."

"The idea that this man is now walking around proud of himself, believing that he has given a lesson, that he has done justice, this just does not suit me and I sincerely hope that this video somehow gets to him so that he can maybe have the opportunity to meet him and confront each other."

"Mine was just an outlet and a form of disappointment manifested to my followers, but in the morning when I woke up I realised that something strong had happened. My video had been shared over and over again."

"The prices in my restaurant are highlighted. The only one that was missing was the decaf and that is why I was fined, but believe me if I had had the price displayed, I would not have taken the fine but this customer would have made the same scenes anyway."

Francesco said that the customer was not "outraged" because the price wasn't displayed. Rather, he was upset "over the price".

He said: "I often get criticised for the price of my coffee, but I go on my way, I don't want to generate poverty, I don't want to sell espresso for 1 euro and serve low quality. 1 euro is no longer sustainable and I will fight with all my strength to get this message across."

"Coffee is my life, my main passion is my mission is to tell about its beauty and goodness."

vafCHf6A7BHxTywK4wnWXpmPQrSo4i0BISXcA6xmYihaFccYT7i8ZNNAwTv5DkyVnXszLDPtJ8c2X_9aV1VZJJAtrkcEXRZcuuZSRD1vfrcL_XorDCd-zrcUCrO3s3I5seyduYHUsfybYOcd

Francesco claimed that he uses high-quality decaffeinated coffee and water extraction process for his espressos, justifying the price of his drink. Credit: Instagram/@sanapofrancesco.

A number of cafe owners and customers have expressed their support for Francesco.

One person wrote: "The hype of this news will fade within a few hours, the quality of its premises and its loyal customers will not."

"I fully understand your indignation. Highest esteem for you and what you have built."

"I often come to you for coffee and I recommend it to tourists who stay with me," another added.

Francesco responded to the support from other users, writing: "Thanks for your words."

However, others joined the customer in complaining about the price of his drink.

One comment read: "You charge 2 euros for an espresso and you even show yourself in the face to justify and explain a madness."

Meanwhile, some users pointed out that the "shame" should be borne by the customer who called the police.

A third chimed in: "Trivially I find that you pay for quality. If you think the price is too high, don't go back. I'm very sorry but I hope this episode doesn't discourage you."

LaBczkMAId2-71VZuno1aRDhlsKMirBsEKEO6MZVDtB2Kjqk1DXUmjWKz6fkRb_TcfFFyNF2h19ZqvvLzqAJtXMy-5MOKSya_b4n31UpVXL8sdMatmvOOG0o00VFzbPELraDU35zWVRpCAwq

A number of his customers and other cafe owners expressed their support for Francesco. Credit: Getty Images.

One cafe owner went as far as to describe Francesco's story as a 'game-changer', writing: "Be proud of yourself. Maybe they don't know that the other decaffeinated products are chemically treated to be such."

How about you? Do you think the customer was in the right to call the police over the price of the coffee or do the cafe owner's arguments make much more sense? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Good coffee is worth its weight in gold. If you want rubbish then pay the low price. If you want quality, then pay the asking price.

Reactions: 68autobug

Try buying a decent coffee in Australia for under $6.
The customer just wanted his 2 minutes of fame