Cadbury's Easter bunny price hike is 'absolutely criminal' according to shoppers

Easter is a time of joy, family gatherings, and of course, indulging in chocolate treats.

However, for some Australian shoppers, the price of these sweet delights leaves a bitter taste.

A recent social media post has sparked outrage over the cost of one of Cadbury’s most iconic Easter dairy milk products at Coles, with one customer labelling the price as 'absolutely criminal'.

The shopper took to social media to express his disbelief at the $10 price tag attached to the Cadbury Dairy Milk Easter Bunny 250g ($7).

However, Coles will be reducing the price to $7 for one week only, starting February 28.

A closer examination of the sales tag revealed that the price equates to $4 per 100g, which is more than double the per 100g price of Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Large Chocolate Block 360g, also priced at $7 online.

'If I had kids, they’d be about to learn the truth about the Easter bunny...$10 is outrageous,' the shopper wrote.

201.jpg
Cadbury Dairy Milk Easter Bunny 250g retailed at $7 for one week only, starting February 28. Credits: Cadbury

His post quickly gained traction, with many social media users echoing his sentiments and expressing their anger over the price per kilo cost.

'I just noticed shopping today that the price is now [per] 100g and not kg. These are 40 [dollars] a kilo!' said one.

'$40 per kilo! Not just outrageous, that’s theft,' another added.

‘That’s [an] expensive 250g chocolate,’ one more commented.

The price hike left many customers reminiscing about the days when these Easter treats were more affordable.

'I remember when these were only $1. I’m struggling as it is, imagine if you’re a family on a single income,' said one.

'These used to be $4.50. I’d buy three for my kids every year. They are older now and don’t like Easter-type chocolate, so I just buy them their day chocolate instead. I bet these won’t be all sold,' another wrote.

It is believed that the price of Cadbury’s 250g bunnies has remained steady since 2023, when they were also priced at $10.

A look back at Coles catalogues from previous years shows that 150g-170g bunnies were priced at $5.50 in 2020 and $6 in 2021.

This indicates an increase in the price of these Easter treats over the years.

However, the rising cost of chocolate is not a new issue.

Late last year, chocolate lovers were warned to brace themselves for price hikes on their favourite items due to a 40 per cent increase in sugar and cocoa costs.

This could potentially lead to a further rise in supermarket chocolate prices during 2024 or result in a reduction in product weight to accommodate the inflated costs.

'That is taking the p*** now, ripping people off,' one user responded.

In addition to the Dairy Milk Eastern Bunny, Cadbury recently unveiled a variety of new Eastern treats in collaboration with Pascall, Sour Patch Kids, and the Natural Confectionary Co., to make Aussies’ Easter a lot more exciting. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer criticised Cadbury for the 'outrageous' price of Easter Dairy Milk bunnies, retailing for $10.
  • Social media users were outraged over the price per kilo, with some calculations showing the bunnies costing $40 per kilo.
  • Despite customer complaints, it was confirmed that there was no increase to the price of Cadbury’s 250g bunnies from the previous year.
  • Coles catalogues showed prices of Easter bunnies in previous years, and there's a temporary price reduction announced. However, there were concerns about potential price hikes for chocolate due to rising sugar and cocoa costs.

Have you noticed a significant increase in the price of your favourite chocolate brands? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Please tell me, in the name of research, how much more chocolate, in a solid block of the stuff, can you get for the equivalent price? Does a chocolate bunny's ear (let's say it weighs up to 20 grams) taste better than a 20 gram piece broken from the slab? How much more choccy is left in both?

Reactions: oldsalt
A classic example of hyperbole...gross exaggeration..."outrage" at the price of Cadbury's Easter bunnies. You say it yourselves...they are reduced for the next week. If they are too pricey just don't buy them. And please when claiming "outrage" have your spell check on....it is "confectionEry" NOT "confectionAry"

Sad - another item that is now only available for the well off - talk about class distinction making a major comeback - We really going backwards.

Reactions: oldsalt and IAN3005
I took a stroll through Woollie yesterday to check out the prices of Easter.... I was reeling by the time I left.....absolutely ridiculous....
People should put off buying the product until AFTER Easter and get the slashed prices on the overstock..... there are more ways to skin a cat.
That will eat into their profit... ha ha ha

I took a stroll through Woollie yesterday to check out the prices of Easter.... I was reeling by the time I left.....absolutely ridiculous....
People should put off buying the product until AFTER Easter and get the slashed prices on the overstock..... there are more ways to skin a cat.
That will eat into their profit... ha ha ha
Leave cats out of it!

I LOVE CATS!!! :p

Last edited:
I have been boycoting Coles and Woolies for months now and Aldi is benifitting because their prices are staying more than reasonable.

Reactions: oldsalt
Boycott buying it and the other overpriced Easter chocolates till after Easter when they haven't been sold the stock and it usually goes down to half price to get rid of the stock. I noticed that happened after Christmas Coles Christmas chocolates, biscuits etc went down to half or ever cheaper price. Bunny thieves.

Wait till Easter is over then go and buy them at a fraction of the price. Celebrate easter late and save a foutune. Prices are often 1/3 to 1/4 of the original price. Happy Easter.

Reactions: IAN3005