Cabbage schnitzel

1000024514.jpg
Recipe and Image Source: Delish

Cabbage Schnitzel​

A breaded fried cutlet is one of life’s greatest pleasures, and these cabbage schnitzels are no exception. Coated in crispy golden brown bread crumbs and drizzled with a luscious mushroom gravy, this vegetarian spin on a meaty classic will delight meat lovers and vegetarians alike.

Cutting and breading cabbage “cutlets” may sound complicated, but it’s really simple. Just make sure that each cutlet has some of the centre stem of the cabbage attached to it when it’s cut—this will hold the cutlet together so it doesn’t fall apart—and don’t be shy with the egg or the panko when you’re breading. Full, even coverage is going to make for the most delicious cutlet.

While schnitzel in its purest form is served with a simple parsley and lemon garnish, we’ve taken this version up a notch with a rich mushroom gravy. Is it strictly necessary? Not really. But when given the option to add gravy, has anyone ever said no?

Ingredients​

MUSHROOM GRAVY​

• 6 tbsp.
    vegetable oil, divided
  • 8 oz.
    cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp.
    (or more) kosher salt, divided
  • 1/2
    yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 c.
    all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c.
    dry white wine
  • 2 c.
    low-sodium vegetable broth
    sprig thyme
  • 1 tsp.
    vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp.
    freshly ground black pepper

SCHNITZEL​

head green cabbage
  • 2 1/2 tsp.
    kosher salt, plus more
  • 1 c.
    (120 g.) all-purpose flour
    large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 1/2 tsp.
    Dijon mustard
  • 2 1/2 c.
    panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp.
    freshly ground black pepper
  • Vegetable oil, for frying (1 1/2 to 2 c.)
  • 1/4 c.
    fresh parsley, finely chopped

Directions​

• MUSHROOM GRAVY​

1. Step 1 In a medium pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until deeply browned, 12 to 15 minutes; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer mushrooms to a plate.
    2. Step 2 In the same pan over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 4 tablespoons oil. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour to form a thick paste and cook, stirring, until very pale gold in colour and bubbles at the bottom of the pan, about 1 minute. Whisk in wine until combined, then whisk in broth, thyme, Worcestershire, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
    3. Step 3 Stir in mushrooms; season with salt if needed. Keep warm until ready to use.
    4. Step 4 Make Ahead: Gravy can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container and refrigerate.
  • SCHNITZEL​

1. Step 1 Peel off loose outer cabbage leaves. Cut in half through the root, then cut each half into 2 equal wedges. Cut 2 (1/2"-thick) cutlets from each wedge (for a total of 8), making sure each has some root stem attached to hold it together. (There will be a side wedge of disconnected cabbage leftover from each larger wedge; reserve for another use.)
    2. Step 2 Preheat oven to 200°. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Place a wire rack inside another baking sheet.
    3. Step 3 Place flour in a wide shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, beat eggs and mustard until blended. In a third shallow dish, combine panko, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
    4. Step 4 Season cabbage cutlets on both sides with 2 teaspoons salt. Working one at a time, coat cutlet in flour, then dip into egg mixture, rubbing all over cabbage to fully coat. Dredge in panko mixture, firmly pressing to adhere. Place breaded schnitzels on a parchment-lined sheet.
    5. Step 5 Into a large, heavy pan, pour oil to a depth of 1/4". Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry or instant-read thermometer registers 350°. (A bread crumb dropped into oil should immediately sizzle.)
    6. Step 6 Working in batches, fry breaded schnitzels until golden brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip and fry, basting any pale patches with a spoonful of oil, until golden brown on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to prepared rack; season with salt. Place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining breaded schnitzel, adjusting heat to maintain oil temperature and adding more as needed.
    7. Step 7 Divide schnitzel among plates. Top with gravy and parsley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Good idea I love cabbage I’ve done cauliflower like this but I’ll do the cabbage next.👍
Me love cabbage so versatile you can do anything with them if you tasted My cabbage rolls you will love. But bit complicated for the not advanced cook

Reactions: Marilynne
Me love cabbage so versatile you can do anything with them if you tasted My cabbage rolls you will love. But bit complicated for the not advanced cook
I do cabbage rolls also very easy to make.😊
Why are yours so hard enlighten me.🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Babybird
I do cabbage rolls also very easy to make.😊
Why are yours so hard enlighten me.🤔
What this recepie? Or another.
I do my cabbage rolls to middle eastern traditions as more spices and ingredients are added. Why not just do your version

What this recepie? Or another.
I do my cabbage rolls to middle eastern traditions as more spices and ingredients are added. Why not just do your version
I will but I wondered what yours is as you said its complicated that’s all. Cheers.😊

Reactions: Babybird
I will but I wondered what yours is as you said its complicated that’s all. Cheers.😊
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

This is an authentic Lebanese version of stuffed cabbage recipe consists of Cabbage Leaves stuffed with a ground beef and spiced rice mixture, cooked in a lemony and garlicky broth.

Stuffing Ingredients:

- 1 Medium cabbage 1.5 kg.
- 3 cups of short grain rice.
- 400 grams of minced meat.
- 1 teaspoon of Allspice.
- 1/4 teaspoon of seven spice.
- 2 teaspoon of salt.
- 1 onion finely diced.
- 6 minced garlic cloves.

Broth Ingredients:

- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 1/4 cup of lemons juice or to taste.
- 5 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- 2 teaspoon dried mint.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 10 cloves garlic.

Method of Work:

1- Wash the rice and soak it in warm water for ten minutes, then drain it and Mix with ground beef, onions, garlic, and the spices.

2- Split the cabbage leaves with a knife and wash them, then move it to a large saucepan of boiling water with pinch of salt over the stove, and boil the leaves for 2 minutes, drain it and set aside on a tray allow them to cool.

3- Lay a cabbage leaf flat on a cutting board, trim off the thick stems (you may divide the very large leaves into half so they are no bigger than your hand) add a tablespoon of stuffing mixture into the center of the cabbage leaf, tuck one side, then fold over the cabbage leaf over the stuffing, continue to tuck and roll to make sure it’s secure.
(You may squeeze the cabbage roll after you roll it to help secure it).

4- In a non-stick pot, drizzle a bit of olive oil and lay a few cabbage leaves at the bottom. Start stacking the cabbage rolls in the pot tightly next to each other (the greenest part/seam of the cabbage on the underside) scatter the garlic cloves between the layers of cabbage rolls.

5- Place a heavy plate inside the pot, on top of the rolls and press down, cover it with broth, the water should cover the rolls and if not, add more water until it does, cover the pot, in a medium high heat, bring to a boil then immediately decrease the heat to medium and simmer checking on it after the 40 minutes mark, they are almost ready when most of the water has absorbed, and the cabbage rolls are tender, adjust the seasoning by adding more salt.

6- Meanwhile, mix the 6 cloves of crushed garlic, mint, the lemon juice (depending on your taste) and set aside.

7- Back to the pot, Remove the heavy plate and pour over the (garlic olive oil, and dried mint). Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 more minutes.

8- When the cabbage rolls ready, allow the to cool in the pot, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, Place the cabbage rolls in a serving plate and garnish with dry mint and lemon slices.
Or fresh lemon juice.

I usually put 3 steakes lamb or otherwise on bottom of saucepan before putting the cabbage rolls gives it more flavour. And the stakes fall in the mouth.
After it boils I lower heat so cooks slowly

Note:
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 8