Businessman’s answer on which generation struggles the most sparks debate: ‘It’s not smooth sailing’

The age-old debate of which generation has had to endure the toughest challenges has been reignited by a viral video that has Australians across the country voicing their opinions.

The video featured media personality and businessman Russel Howcroft claiming that life in Australia is 'the hardest it’s ever been' for 30-year-olds’.

This bold statement has sparked a fiery discussion about generational inequality, with many weighing in on who truly has it worse.

'It’s the hardest it’s ever been for a 30-year-old in Australia’s history,’ Howcroft said on ABC’s Gruen.

‘It’s true that 30-year-olds are going to be less well off than their parents are. It’s a fact.’

photo_20240619_085320_0000.png
Russell Howcroft said that 30-year-olds are struggling the most. Credit: @abciview / TikTok

Howcroft, a member of Generation X, compared the financial hurdles of today's 30-year-olds with those of his own experience.

In 1995, when Howcroft was 30, the national median house price was $129,800—a figure that was 3.8 times the average full-time salary.

Fast forward to today, and the national median house price has skyrocketed to $1,005,242, which is more than 15.4 times the median full-time salary.

But it's not just the housing market squeezing the wallets of younger Australians.

Howcroft pointed out that the HECS indexation—the system through which higher education contributions are calculated – has doubled over the last 15 years.

Today, young people can rack up six-figure debts for degrees in fields like medicine and law, with their HECS debts climbing annually.

Taxation is another area where the pinch is felt.

‘It’s true that a baby boomer paid half the tax that a 30-year-old pays now when they were 30 years of age,’ Howard said.

‘The reality is, it is extremely difficult to be a 30-year-old in Australia right now.’

The video has not only highlighted the financial pressures on Millennials but has also shed light on the broader issue of generational inequality.

Data from the political research organisation RedBridge Group indicated that more than half of 18 to 24-year-olds in Australia are delaying starting a family due to rising costs.

‘The Boomers climbed the ladder but kicked it away as soon as they reached the top,’ one user commented.

‘Once you get your house, it’s not smooth sailing,’ another wrote. ‘We are struggling to keep our homes, which NEVER happened to older people.’

Other social media users have expressed concerns about the future, with one commenting, 'We can’t even afford to keep our parents looked after when they retire, let alone ourselves or our children.'

‘If it’s hard for 30 year olds now, imagine what it’s like and is GOING to be like for Gen Z and Alpha,’ another agreed.

While the debate is heated, with some arguing that Millennials are not necessarily worse off than previous generations, it's clear that each era comes with unique challenges.

'Every generation faces new challenges. This generation is no different than any other generation,' one social media user pointed out.

You can watch Gruen’s video below:

Credit: @abciview / TikTok

In a similar story, a video from the 1970s highlighted the financial differences students experienced compared to today.

Australians reacted with astonishment to the low living costs in the 1970s, especially regarding free university education and the small portion of income spent on rent and food. You can watch the video here.
Key Takeaways

• A viral video featuring media personality Russel Howcroft claimed that life for 30-year-olds in Australia is the hardest it's ever been, sparking debate on generational inequality.
  • Howcroft pointed out that current 30-year-olds face an expensive housing market, high HECS debt, and increased taxes compared to previous generations.
  • The discussion highlighted the financial pressures faced by younger Australians, including the postponement of starting families due to rising costs.
  • Opposing views suggest that every generation has challenges, and Millennials may not be worse off than earlier generations.
Do you believe that today's 30-year-olds have it harder than previous generations? Or do you think that every generation faces its unique set of challenges? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Sorry but I'm 60 something and wouldn't shop at Millers or use Kmart makeup either.
And that's your choice and obviously, you can afford it. I'm referring to those who only use designer brand cosmetics, pay $120 for a plain white tee shirt, and whine about how broke they are.

Having been country born and raised by a teacher father and stay at home mother, I know the 'value' of money. Teachers' salaries were appallingly low in the fifties, and we lived well, but within our means.

I must admit I find your answer to be a bit elitist. I'm 78, have shopped for casual clothes at Millers for as long as they've been around, and David Jones or Myer for good clothes. My cosmetics range from Revlon and Max Factor to Kmart. If I see a lipstick or nail polish colour I like, I buy it. I don't care where it comes from. I worked hard for 42 years and I don't believe in wasting that hard earned money for the sake of a label on a lipstick or piece of clothing.

Now I'm really going to shock you. Except for underwear - knickers at Target and bras at Best and Less - I now buy all my clothes from op shops. In my wardrobe, I have an Amarni shirt. It cost me $5. One of my closest friends loves to shop - I hate it - and if I tell you she buys her Christmas decorations at Myer, you know she's not exactly struggling financially. One day we were going out for lunch and I was dressed in black and white striped pants (H&M) and a hot pink Witchery top. My shoes were Trent Nathan, never worn. An entire outfit from op shops. When she told me I looked nice, I told her my top was $4 and my pants were $5. She did a double take and said, 'Would somebody mind telling me why I spend a fortune on clothes, when you can look that good for $9?!'

It's all about how you wear clothes and use cosmetics, not the label.

And that's your choice and obviously, you can afford it. I'm referring to those who only use designer brand cosmetics, pay $120 for a plain white tee shirt, and whine about how broke they are.

Having been country born and raised by a teacher father and stay at home mother, I know the 'value' of money. Teachers' salaries were appallingly low in the fifties, and we lived well, but within our means.

I must admit I find your answer to be a bit elitist. I'm 78, have shopped for casual clothes at Millers for as long as they've been around, and David Jones or Myer for good clothes. My cosmetics range from Revlon and Max Factor to Kmart. If I see a lipstick or nail polish colour I like, I buy it. I don't care where it comes from. I worked hard for 42 years and I don't believe in wasting that hard earned money for the sake of a label on a lipstick or piece of clothing.

Now I'm really going to shock you. Except for underwear - knickers at Target and bras at Best and Less - I now buy all my clothes from op shops. In my wardrobe, I have an Amarni shirt. It cost me $5. One of my closest friends loves to shop - I hate it - and if I tell you she buys her Christmas decorations at Myer, you know she's not exactly struggling financially. One day we were going out for lunch and I was dressed in black and white striped pants (H&M) and a hot pink Witchery top. My shoes were Trent Nathan, never worn. An entire outfit from op shops. When she told me I looked nice, I told her my top was $4 and my pants were $5. She did a double take and said, 'Would somebody mind telling me why I spend a fortune on clothes, when you can look that good for $9?!'

It's all about how you wear clothes and use cosmetics, not the label.
Well said.