Business owner loses $50,000 in devastating scam, banks allegedly involved

In the picturesque town of Margaret River, known for its wine and waves, a local business owner faced a financial tsunami threatening his livelihood.

Wade Brown, the proprietor of Pure Glass WA, experienced every entrepreneur's nightmare when he was scammed out of a staggering $50,000.

This harrowing tale cautions against the ever-present dangers lurking in the digital depths, ready to ensnare the unwary.

The ordeal began with an ominous phone call on a Friday night in 2022 when an employee alerted Mr Brown to the disappearance of a hefty sum from the company's bank account.

Two separate payments, each amounting to $25,000, had been siphoned to an account under Pure Glassess, accompanied by INVOICE 21745.

1726622506346.png
Wade Brown from Margaret River lost $50,000 to a bank fraud scam. Credit: Shutterstock

The alarm bells rang, and Mr Brown promptly contacted Bankwest to freeze his account, hoping to stem the financial bleeding.

According to Mr Brown, the staff member at Bankwest assured him that they would notify AMP bank of the fraudulent transfer.

Bankwest later confirmed that they had informed AMP within 35 minutes of the call.

However, despite the swift action taken by both Mr Brown and Bankwest, AMP failed to intercept the transaction, and the funds landed squarely in the scammer's lap.

The aftermath of the scam was a two-year battle for justice and restitution, with Mr Brown fighting tooth and nail to reclaim the lost funds that nearly spelled the end for Pure Glass WA.

'It almost crippled us. $50,000 is a lot in any small business,' Mr Brown lamented.

His pursuit of recompense led him to complain to Bankwest through the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA), only to be met with the bitter conclusion that his business, not the bank, bore the responsibility for the scam.

The day before the fraudulent transfer, the internet at Pure Glass WA had mysteriously gone down.

Mr Brown remained adamant that the theft should have been impossible.

‘I tried to do two transactions without a security code,’ he said.

‘It’s impossible.’

Any transaction required a security token code generated by a dongle inserted into a computer's USB port.

This dongle was securely stored in a locked room, inaccessible to the employee on duty during the scam.

Bankwest, however, countered that the scammer had accessed the account using a token code sent to the registered mobile number.

While Bankwest declined to comment on Mr Brown's specific case, a spokesperson emphasised the bank's commitment to customer security.

‘The security of customers and their finances is a priority for Bankwest.’ the spokesperson said.

‘Bankwest and its dedicated scams team [do] everything it can to prevent and/or recall funds lost to scams, but it’s not always possible, especially when customers have participated in and authorised the transactions.’

‘We encourage customers to remember three simple steps — stop, check and reject — to ensure they pause and think before acting, check with a trusted contact or organisation, and reject any contact they’re unsure about.’

AMP, on the receiving end of the fraudulent transfer, has yet to offer a public response.

In other news, a Bankwest customer in rural Western Australia was refused a $300 cash withdrawal at the Dalwallinu branch.

Customers are now directed to the more distant Moora branch or the post office for withdrawals, suggesting possible service limitations at smaller branches. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• Margaret River business owner Wade Brown was scammed out of $50,000 after payments were fraudulently transferred from his business bank account.
  • Despite immediate action by Mr Brown and his bank, Bankwest, the recipient bank, AMP, did not stop the transaction.
  • After a two-year battle, the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) concluded that Brown's business was at fault, leaving him without reimbursement.
  • Bankwest emphasised the importance of security and following steps to prevent scams but did not accept liability for the incident, suggesting the transactions were authorised. AMP has been contacted for comment but has not yet responded.
Have you or someone you know been affected by a scam? How do you protect yourself and your business from such threats? Feel free to share your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
Banks need to bear the brunt of all scams. Their systems do not ccheck that the names of accounts must match account numbers and/or their technology is just not sufficiently robust. The scammers, quite simply, are smarter than the banks' systems and their staff. Custoners never asked for cashless banking, it was forced on us and continues to be rammed down our throats. Then when things go wrong, they wave their hands in the air and say it isn't their fault. Well, the law must be changed so they have to be fully responsible for refunding customers who have been scammed through no fault of their own.

They have introduced that law and we need that here desperately. All account numbers myst march up with the account name too. Our banks do not do that. The onus is on the customer to ensure they enter the correct account number and they tell you this. Why aren't the banks here doing something so basic?

Banks need to bear the brunt of all scams. Their systems do not ccheck that the names of accounts must match account numbers and/or their technology is just not sufficiently robust. The scammers, quite simply, are smarter than the banks' systems and their staff. Custoners never asked for cashless banking, it was forced on us and continues to be rammed down our throats. Then when things go wrong, they wave their hands in the air and say it isn't their fault. Well, the law must be changed so they have to be fully responsible for refunding customers who have been scammed through no fault of their own.
i quite agree ; i only use electronic to withdraw i go to bank make my transaction there ; its only time i use my card ever ;after that my money is in my wallet where i spend as i need ; electronic scams only happen because of electronic banking

Reactions: SylviaK and magpie1
Nobody is pointing the finger at someone within Pure Glass WA?

And the mere mention of AMP rings alarm bells in itself! A once respected financial entity was swallowed up by AXA Asia in 2011, which also acquired MLC.

AXA Asia is based in Hong Kong. Say no more. Best of luck Wade Brown. Looks like you can kiss your $50000 goodbye!

Reactions: Penny4
i quite agree ; i only use electronic to withdraw i go to bank make my transaction there ; its only time i use my card ever ;after that my money is in my wallet where i spend as i need ; electronic scams only happen because of electronic banking
A lot of local banks have closed during the past 2 years and people in many towns and regions around the country are being forced more and more into digital banking....it's disgraceful that the banks have been allowed to do this.🤬🤬🤬🤬

It all started with not having a pay packet. Then only digital pension. Banks are never there for the clients only look after themselves and the shareholders. Where are the banks owned by their customers?

Reactions: magpie1
All any business care about is how much money they can get out their customers and banks are no exception. Can't trust anyone these days.

Reactions: magpie1