Bunnings' snags increase in price after 15 years – here's why!

Aussies everywhere are feeling the effects of rising living expenses and skyrocketing prices for basic goods like groceries and fuel. This time, though, the target was a beloved weekend tradition.

For the first time in 15 years, Bunnings is raising the prices of its famous sausage sizzles, following an extensive wave of feedback from community groups.

Let's admit it – a trip to Bunnings on the weekend would not be complete without participating in one of the store's famous "sausage sizzles."

For several years now, these events provide a platform for charities, community groups, and other non-profit organisations to raise money for their causes.

However, due to rising prices, even staples like snags, bread, and onions, those groups are reporting a significant decrease in what they're left with after the grill is turned off.

ibnHwW4LrsMKaOES_GV_CIjW90fRfRMDVYcWO5F5YNWZISv6Ga0nXK-1IIMg-Eq-eBrlamwaS55KL8e1IA8y4ir5qV9ArjxPaqpo62FEuu88iLNnd57yB20sscn4QUbfUGE_EtP76YMVVXL3jTk

As with most grocery items, the price of sausages, bread, and onions has gone up, which is what caused the price increase. Credit: 9News.

On Saturday, July 23, the price of a snag will go up from $2.50 to $3.50, so those of you who have been looking forward to one may have to dig a little deeper into your pockets.

But don't worry, folks, because the price of a drink will stay the same at $1.50, and you'll still have the option of getting onion added for free.

And because the funds raised are donated to the organisation that is in charge of running the sizzle, you can rest assured that the extra dollar added is at least going towards a worthy cause.

More than a hundred community organisations informed Bunnings that rising supply costs had affected their fundraising efforts, which led to the price increase.

In an interview with the Herald Sun, Bunnings managing director Mike Schneider said, "The inflationary environment has certainly meant that many of our community groups have come to us and asked for this change."

"It's been an incredibly difficult couple of years with the lack of fundraising opportunities and the pressure on community group services and support continues to be a growing need in our wider community."

The sausage sizzle, he explained, will always be a community-led initiative. They listened and came up with a solution that they hope will help groups raise as much money as possible while still giving customers an easy way to help their local community.

OiEcdn-VsUPTFCNixFb5SdEWpvuaYzzOTEAr9NNmL8K90z5nrh0L_PqIuIpB_GRhp3Sda0-oSjks_NrRbjCWZxfk6iGlwzwfVACqgBUA5zqweIsA8Wr7s_G12m3m32BQUXng6B05nOR104Cz3MI

The profits from the price hike will continue to go to charities and community groups. Credit: NCA NewsWire/Jenny Evans.

Over the course of the last five years, Bunnings has been a part of efforts to raise more than 140 million dollars for charitable organisations all over the country.

Mr Schneider continued by saying, "We understand very much the really important role the humble snag plays in the community’s psyche. And undoubtedly any change in price, particularly in the current environment, is something that is going to gather some level of attention."

"It’s a pretty simple recipe – it’s a snag, a bit of bread and some sauce and onion to taste…"

"But what it does is really help raise much-needed funds for local community groups – whether it’s the local school or sporting club or to do something in the community."

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you mind that the cost of your favourite snag has increased by one dollar? Or is it entirely reasonable in your opinion? Tell us what you think in the comments!

• Angry
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
Sausage sizzle.....it is still great bargain.....get .bread...Sausage....onions....sauce....... LOVE THEM.......anywhere else you would be charged for extras....

SO WELL DONE......I WILL STILL BUY....THEY TASTE GREAT.....

Sorry but I disagree. Bread hasn't gone up much, sausages are still similar in price and onions go a long way. Having catered years ago for shows, we found keep prices down and sell more. I think they will end up with less profits in the long run. It is difficult enough for pensioners and families to survive with all the other increases these days.

Include a bun with butter and I am happy to pay $5 hold the soft drink. Suggestion also have a donation tin/jar for those who just want to donate to your cause.

Reactions: Ricci
As a couple we could not get enough of Bunning's especially the sausage sizzle because of having our lunch out, then on returning to mow the lawns that after brought on a cuppa. If I still had my lovely husband & car it would be exactly the same. $5 is a "pittance" to pay an all up with a drink. My charity was WITH ME so gratefully. I did not bother with one lunch a week to return & bog into the lawns. I was rapt. It always seemed charity all round. If anyone wants to take me to shop, I'll shout them a sizzle any time. The least I can do.

Reactions: Ricci