Bunnings secures second spot as the most trusted brand; Optus stays last

Where do you place your trust when you're shopping? Do you have a preferred retailer that has earned your loyalty and confidence over the years?

Whatever your choices are, they’re sure to have been reflected in a recent report by Roy Morgan.

In a surprising turn of events, Bunnings, the popular hardware store, has broken the 'supermarket duopoly' on Roy Morgan’s Trusted Brand list, surpassing Coles to secure the second spot.

Meanwhile, telecommunications giant Optus continues to languish at the bottom, retaining its unenviable title as Australia’s most distrusted brand.

images.png
Bunnings is the second most trusted brand. Credit: Bunnings Warehouse

Before the pandemic, Bunnings was the most trusted brand, according to Roy Morgan, holding the top spot until May 2020. However, it was overtaken by Woolworths, which has maintained its position at the top since then.

Over the past year (12 months to September 2023), there has been a disproportionate growth in brand distrust, as noted by Roy Morgan CEO Michelle Levine.

'As cost-of-living pressures deepen, this trend only gets worse as much of corporate Australia, from banks and airlines to supermarkets and utilities, are viewed by some as greedy and profiteering; Australians feel their wallets are shrinking while companies and executives are getting richer,' she said.

Despite this trend, Bunnings has significantly recovered, showing the largest absolute improvement in trust since October 2022.

The brand's reputation has contributed to its increased trust among Australians, with many claiming that the store does ‘what they say’, ‘the staff are friendly and helpful’, and ‘good price and people who know their jobs’.

Earlier this year, Bunnings won Roy Morgan’s Trusted Brand Awards in the retail category, while Woolworths won the supermarket category.

‘Bunnings has harnessed many of the foundational pillars of a trusted brand, including great customer service, communicating what it stands for and delivering, being an active part of the community, solving customer’s problems and expertise and product knowledge,’ Levine said.

‘The focus Bunnings puts on delivering great customer service matched with excellent product knowledge and a huge range of hardware items at competitive prices are key factors in the soaring levels of trust for the company over the last year.’

The trust in Bunnings' brand was strongest among people aged 35 and above, who are most likely to be homeowners or paying off a home.

Levine suggested that these older demographics, who are most likely to invest in home ownership and potential home renovations, have maintained their spending power despite the cost of living pressures.

‘As many Australians face rising cost of living pressures driven by high inflation and a record-setting series of interest rate increases, the reputation Bunnings has built over many years is paying off,’ she commented.

'Many other prominent retailers are dealing with perceptions that they are 'price-gouging' and taking advantage of the current environment to raise their prices above the rate of inflation—but these issues are having only a minimal impact on Australia’s favourite hardware chain.’

Other leading brands in the Top 10 include Myer, Toyota, Apple, BIG W, and Australia Post. NRMA, the ABC, and ING improved their rankings this year, moving to 11th, 15th, and 18th, respectively.

On the other end of the spectrum, Optus remains Australia’s most distrusted brand, with Facebook/Meta, Qantas, Medibank, and Harvey Norman joining it at the bottom. Amazon, TikTok, and X (formerly Twitter) also feature in the list of the ten most distrusted brands.

Optus, even before its data outage last November and CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin’s resignation, has already been on the bottom of the list, Levine said.

‘Risk assessments and procedures by executives and company directors across all industries need to formally factor in distrust,’ she said.

most trusted brands.jpg

‘The flow-on effects from the extensive service outage at Optus in early November have provided a salutary reminder that dealing with distrust should be on the risk register of every board in Australia.’

‘Distrusted brands have felt the negative consequences of taking “business as usual” for granted.’

'These brands have been directly impacted by lax standards and not guarding properly against the potential for mistakes and errors to quickly metastasise into brand-defining events that destroy company value built up over many years in an instant,' Levine added.
Key Takeaways
  • Bunnings has overtaken Coles on Roy Morgan's Trusted Brand list for the first time in nearly three years, breaking the 'supermarket duopoly’.
  • The hardware store is praised for its great customer service, product knowledge, and competitive pricing.
  • Optus remains Australia’s most distrusted brand, with Facebook/Meta, Qantas, and Medibank also ranking low on trust.
  • According to Roy Morgan’s CEO, Michelle Levine, Australians' distrust of brands has disproportionately grown over the past year amidst rising living costs.
What are your thoughts on the brand trust list? Have you had any experiences that have influenced your trust in a brand? Share your thoughts in the comments below

Reactions: deedum and BJM
Sponsored
Day after day we hear people complaining about Woolies and then they are voted the most trusted.
Whose opinions did they ask, the top echelon of Woolies, Woolies shareholders, etc.???,
I think these opinion polls are ridiculous, I don't know anybody who has ever been asked their opinion.
The number of.people canvassed in these polls is miniscule compared to the population.

I am 84 years old and during my life time I have learned not to trust doctors, especially those who write reports for Comcare, including especially Psychiatrists. They write reports based on their assumptions, which of course always benefit Comcare without any Tests, Treatment or proof of what they are writing. If they can't see it they don't believe anything is wrong. I feel it is criminal how they treat their patients. More recently I had to go to the Emergency Dept in two different hospitals, because I didn't trust the first one. I ended up having to visit a third time at another hospital before they Xrayed me and found the serious problem. Another time one doctor put me in hospital for 2 weeks with weights on my leg trying to correct my back. He visited me twice a day and said hello and charged me for each visit. Normally it is lucky that he would visit people once a day. In the end I was left with permanent damage to my leg. This is only a few actions where I was damaged in hospital.

• Wow
Reactions: Jersey Girl
Where do you place your trust when you're shopping? Do you have a preferred retailer that has earned your loyalty and confidence over the years?

Whatever your choices are, they’re sure to have been reflected in a recent report by Roy Morgan.

In a surprising turn of events, Bunnings, the popular hardware store, has broken the 'supermarket duopoly' on Roy Morgan’s Trusted Brand list, surpassing Coles to secure the second spot.

Meanwhile, telecommunications giant Optus continues to languish at the bottom, retaining its unenviable title as Australia’s most distrusted brand.

View attachment 37459

Before the pandemic, Bunnings was the most trusted brand, according to Roy Morgan, holding the top spot until May 2020. However, it was overtaken by Woolworths, which has maintained its position at the top since then.

Over the past year (12 months to September 2023), there has been a disproportionate growth in brand distrust, as noted by Roy Morgan CEO Michelle Levine.

'As cost-of-living pressures deepen, this trend only gets worse as much of corporate Australia, from banks and airlines to supermarkets and utilities, are viewed by some as greedy and profiteering; Australians feel their wallets are shrinking while companies and executives are getting richer,' she said.

Despite this trend, Bunnings has significantly recovered, showing the largest absolute improvement in trust since October 2022.

The brand's reputation has contributed to its increased trust among Australians, with many claiming that the store does ‘what they say’, ‘the staff are friendly and helpful’, and ‘good price and people who know their jobs’.

Earlier this year, Bunnings won Roy Morgan’s Trusted Brand Awards in the retail category, while Woolworths won the supermarket category.

‘Bunnings has harnessed many of the foundational pillars of a trusted brand, including great customer service, communicating what it stands for and delivering, being an active part of the community, solving customer’s problems and expertise and product knowledge,’ Levine said.

‘The focus Bunnings puts on delivering great customer service matched with excellent product knowledge and a huge range of hardware items at competitive prices are key factors in the soaring levels of trust for the company over the last year.’

The trust in Bunnings' brand was strongest among people aged 35 and above, who are most likely to be homeowners or paying off a home.

Levine suggested that these older demographics, who are most likely to invest in home ownership and potential home renovations, have maintained their spending power despite the cost of living pressures.

‘As many Australians face rising cost of living pressures driven by high inflation and a record-setting series of interest rate increases, the reputation Bunnings has built over many years is paying off,’ she commented.

'Many other prominent retailers are dealing with perceptions that they are 'price-gouging' and taking advantage of the current environment to raise their prices above the rate of inflation—but these issues are having only a minimal impact on Australia’s favourite hardware chain.’

Other leading brands in the Top 10 include Myer, Toyota, Apple, BIG W, and Australia Post. NRMA, the ABC, and ING improved their rankings this year, moving to 11th, 15th, and 18th, respectively.

On the other end of the spectrum, Optus remains Australia’s most distrusted brand, with Facebook/Meta, Qantas, Medibank, and Harvey Norman joining it at the bottom. Amazon, TikTok, and X (formerly Twitter) also feature in the list of the ten most distrusted brands.

Optus, even before its data outage last November and CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin’s resignation, has already been on the bottom of the list, Levine said.

‘Risk assessments and procedures by executives and company directors across all industries need to formally factor in distrust,’ she said.

View attachment 37458

‘The flow-on effects from the extensive service outage at Optus in early November have provided a salutary reminder that dealing with distrust should be on the risk register of every board in Australia.’

‘Distrusted brands have felt the negative consequences of taking “business as usual” for granted.’

'These brands have been directly impacted by lax standards and not guarding properly against the potential for mistakes and errors to quickly metastasise into brand-defining events that destroy company value built up over many years in an instant,' Levine added.
Key Takeaways

• Bunnings has overtaken Coles on Roy Morgan's Trusted Brand list for the first time in nearly three years, breaking the 'supermarket duopoly’.
  • The hardware store is praised for its great customer service, product knowledge, and competitive pricing.
  • Optus remains Australia’s most distrusted brand, with Facebook/Meta, Qantas, and Medibank also ranking low on trust.
  • According to Roy Morgan’s CEO, Michelle Levine, Australians' distrust of brands has disproportionately grown over the past year amidst rising living costs.
What are your thoughts on the brand trust list? Have you had any experiences that have influenced your trust in a brand? Share your thoughts in the comments below
Obviously they didnot include Tweed Heads Bunnings, customers are treated with contempt , don't ask for assistance because there is none all though the one lady in the plant section trys hard.

Day after day we hear people complaining about Woolies and then they are voted the most trusted.
Whose opinions did they ask, the top echelon of Woolies, Woolies shareholders, etc.???,
I think these opinion polls are ridiculous, I don't know anybody who has ever been asked their opinion.
The number of.people canvassed in these polls is miniscule compared to the population.
I did Roy Morgan polls for several years. They haven’t been back for a few years, maybe they didn’t like my opinions.

View attachment 37459

View attachment 37458

Key Takeaways

I have a problem with these results. Who were approached rgarding their views.
Firstly I somtimes shop at Woolworths for convienience, however mostly because I cannot find every thing I need at Aldi. I often feel frustrated and undervalued as a Woolworths customer as there is usually no check outs open as it generally self serve. The pricing of goods is usually sky-high and the staff who are available, are worked to death!.
The same applies to Bunnings, prices are high and customer service is not good. The staff who are available usually have little or no knowlege regarding the stock. And this is a problem when you are seeking advice.

Reactions: Jennie
Apple at Number 6 in the most trusted brands? Should be in the most UNtrusted list. The only thing of note they have is iTunes, a good, versatile platform for music. Just dodge the iTunes store and play, record and fine tune your own music. For free!

How Bendigo Bank didn't make the untrusted list is beyond me. They charge a $2.00 fee for their ATM services on Big 4 bank accounts! The local branch closes between 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm for f**king lunch! Not to mention the senior management's treatment of branch managers. Makes the Gestapo look like angels.

Apple at Number 6 in the most trusted brands? Should be in the most UNtrusted list. The only thing of note they have is iTunes, a good, versatile platform for music. Just dodge the iTunes store and play, record and fine tune your own music. For free!

How Bendigo Bank didn't make the untrusted list is beyond me. They charge a $2.00 fee for their ATM services on Big 4 bank accounts! The local branch closes between 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm for f**king lunch! Not to mention the senior management's treatment of branch managers. Makes the Gestapo look like angels.
Oh Veggiepatch I absolutely love all of my Apple products & have not had any problems with them. We have iPads, iPhones, MacBooks & husband has an Apple Watch & they are so easy to use, much less complicated than a lot of androids. We also have Apple TV. I wish Apple made large smart tv’s. We had no end of frustration setting up our Sony tv. I think Apple are incredible! Do agree on the “big banks” so we have stayed with My State credit union since it was called something about Postal & PMG workers. We bank online so no problems even with Westpac. My brother is a banker so I do hear both sides.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Oh Veggiepatch I absolutely love all of my Apple products & have not had any problems with them. We have iPads, iPhones, MacBooks & husband has an Apple Watch & they are so easy to use, much less complicated than a lot of androids. We also have Apple TV. I wish Apple made large smart tv’s. We had no end of frustration setting up our Sony tv. I think Apple are incredible! Do agree on the “big banks” so we have stayed with My State credit union since it was called something about Postal & PMG workers. We bank online so no problems even with Westpac. My brother is a banker so I do hear both sides.
We all have our favourite brands and I respect that. Same goes for Samsung. I've mentioned for years that I wouldn't buy a Samsung toothpick on the basis of their poor quality. I succumbed and bought a Samsung Galaxy A5 mobile phone. It didn't even reach triple figures in days of its short life. Suspicions confirmed!

Reactions: PattiB
We all have our favourite brands and I respect that. Same goes for Samsung. I've mentioned for years that I wouldn't buy a Samsung toothpick on the basis of their poor quality. I succumbed and bought a Samsung Galaxy A5 mobile phone. It didn't even reach triple figures in days of its short life. Suspicions confirmed!
Maybe you should have bought an iPhone 😇

I do not trust faceless organisations, no matter what their purpose. I only trust people.

The literal meaning of the word trust is the firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something. There are no companies, or business people who I would put under that umbrella.
My husband and cross section of family fall into the trust category.

The data that gets put out may be as a result of surveys that are completed by members of the public. I do surveys regularly and have seen lots of them that ask "do you trust this company to do the right thing....". I always say no. But someone ticking yes would be enough to add a positive in the collection of data.

I would not take any of these so called statistics seriously and in the end, they mean nothing. I decide where I go, who I deal with and what level of trust I put in people. Reports that are put up have no bearing on the choices people make.

I do not trust faceless organisations, no matter what their purpose. I only trust people.

The literal meaning of the word trust is the firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something. There are no companies, or business people who I would put under that umbrella.
My husband and cross section of family fall into the trust category.

The data that gets put out may be as a result of surveys that are completed by members of the public. I do surveys regularly and have seen lots of them that ask "do you trust this company to do the right thing....". I always say no. But someone ticking yes would be enough to add a positive in the collection of data.

I would not take any of these so called statistics seriously and in the end, they mean nothing. I decide where I go, who I deal with and what level of trust I put in people. Reports that are put up have no bearing on the choices people make.
@MariaG. A very sound argument you have proposed.

When I research product ratings for a new purchase, I will go to www.productreview.com.au. Steer well clear of company brand ratings. The most classic example is Skechers Shoes, whose website rates their shoes at something like 4.8 out of 5. Go to www.productreview.com.au and the score is in the vicinity of 1.3 out of 5.

What happens is that a company will employ a few BS tactics such as generate fake reviews to garner a higher average score or to eliminate the negative outliers from the data. Both dirty tactics. Kogan is basically the same with their website.

Reactions: MariaG