Bunnings responds to their 'money grab' controversy

It won’t be long before the holiday season is upon us when shops’ decorations will be on full display and music will be playing wherever you go.

Bunnings have already put up their decorations, with huge nutcrackers standing one and a half metres tall, priced at $299 each, appearing in their Townsville store. Shelves have also been filled with festive-themed lights and ornaments.

However, the sight of festive decorations for sale in September has spurred a few comments online.

photo (2).jpg
Bunnings has started selling Christmas decorations such as huge nutcrackers and festive-themed lights and ornaments. Image source: Bunnings Warehouse (left), Facebook (right).

Many have responded passionately against it, sharing that it was 'terrifying' and accusing big retailers of introducing such products earlier and earlier every year.

‘I think it’s a bit early, but that’s just a sign of the times,’ one shopper said. ‘I see this as a money grab.’

However, there were also some shoppers who were delighted with the early release.

‘I'm definitely going for a look,’ one local shopper said.

Bunnings claimed they are simply responding to customer demands as decorating the home for Christmas is becoming increasingly popular, and knowing some homes with elaborate light displays tend to prepare for months in advance.

'Decorating the home for Christmas is becoming more popular every year, and many customers are keen to get organised for Christmas early,' a spokesperson from Bunnings said.

'Our festive range begins arriving in stores from September, and more products will drop in store over the coming weeks.'

But for people who think the early rollouts are just another sign of 'consumerism', Professor Gary Mortimer, Marketing and Consumer Expert, explained the operational reason why stores stock them so early.

'Warehouses are full of Christmas-inspired products, and we want them out of warehouses and into air-conditioned supermarkets and department stores,' Professor Mortimer said.

'When demand for these products starts, it comes on quickly, and retailers want to be ready,' he added.

True enough, it’s not just Bunnings—Coles and BIG W have also started rolling out their Christmas decorations and food, quickly following suit.

The supermarkets said that the early release is primarily to help customers plan and budget for Christmas in advance rather than being hit with a huge shopping bill in December.

'People really like to often try things before Christmas Day, and a lot of our customers also like to budget and spread the cost of Christmas before Christmas arrives,' said Coles' spokesperson Martine Alpins.

Moreover, Glenn Baker, Everyday Rewards General Manager, said that many customers like to cash in their accumulating rewards points when the holiday season arrives.

'Last year, the average member got $100 off their shop at Christmas,' he said.

'We are expecting to have that much more money per member and more members this coming Christmas.'

You can read more about this story here!
Key Takeaways
  • Bunnings began selling Christmas decorations in early September, instigating a mixed reaction.
  • A range of large outdoor nutcracker soldiers and other festive lights and ornaments have been spotted in a Townsville store.
  • Some customers have criticised the early roll-out, seeing it as a 'money grab', while others are delighted.
  • Bunnings says it is responding to customer demand and noted that many households with extravagant light displays begin preparations months in advance.
So, dear members, do you think it’s still too early? Or is it the perfect time to start planning your Christmas decor (and budget!)? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
It won’t be long before the holiday season is upon us when shops’ decorations will be on full display and music will be playing wherever you go.

Bunnings have already put up their decorations, with huge nutcrackers standing one and a half metres tall, priced at $299 each, appearing in their Townsville store. Shelves have also been filled with festive-themed lights and ornaments.

However, the sight of festive decorations for sale in September has spurred a few comments online.

View attachment 29416
Bunnings has started selling Christmas decorations such as huge nutcrackers and festive-themed lights and ornaments. Image source: Bunnings Warehouse (left), Facebook (right).

Many have responded passionately against it, sharing that it was 'terrifying' and accusing big retailers of introducing such products earlier and earlier every year.

‘I think it’s a bit early, but that’s just a sign of the times,’ one shopper said. ‘I see this as a money grab.’

However, there were also some shoppers who were delighted with the early release.

Bunnings claimed they are simply responding to customer demands as decorating the home for Christmas is becoming increasingly popular, and knowing some homes with elaborate light displays tend to prepare for months in advance.

'Decorating the home for Christmas is becoming more popular every year, and many customers are keen to get organised for Christmas early,' a spokesperson from Bunnings said.

'Our festive range begins arriving in stores from September, and more products will drop in store over the coming weeks.'

But for people who think the early rollouts are just another sign of 'consumerism', Professor Gary Mortimer, Marketing and Consumer Expert, explained the operational reason why stores stock them so early.

'Warehouses are full of Christmas-inspired products, and we want them out of warehouses and into air-conditioned supermarkets and department stores,' Professor Mortimer said.

'When demand for these products starts, it comes on quickly, and retailers want to be ready,' he added.

True enough, it’s not just Bunnings—Coles and BIG W have also started rolling out their Christmas decorations and food, quickly following suit.

The supermarkets said that the early release is primarily to help customers plan and budget for Christmas in advance rather than being hit with a huge shopping bill in December.

'People really like to often try things before Christmas Day, and a lot of our customers also like to budget and spread the cost of Christmas before Christmas arrives,' said Coles' spokesperson Martine Alpins.

Moreover, Glenn Baker, Everyday Rewards General Manager, said that many customers like to cash in their accumulating rewards points when the holiday season arrives.

'We are expecting to have that much more money per member and more members this coming Christmas.'

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings began selling Christmas decorations in early September, instigating a mixed reaction.
  • A range of large outdoor nutcracker soldiers and other festive lights and ornaments have been spotted in a Townsville store.
  • Some customers have criticised the early roll-out, seeing it as a 'money grab', while others are delighted.
  • Bunnings says it is responding to customer demand and noted that many households with extravagant light displays begin preparations months in advance.
So, dear members, do you think it’s still too early? Or is it the perfect time to start planning your Christmas decor (and budget!)? Let us know in the comments below!
i do not have xmas lights. I have pretty lights up all year round.

Reactions: oldsalt

View attachment 29416

Key Takeaways

Ridiculous....and spoils the festive season when it's just about these retailers making money out of Xmas !! It's supposed to be a time of family get-togethers and nice food not people getting coaxed into spending heaps of money on junk from these shops...and who has the money this Xmas ?? People are struggling just to eat! This Xmas should just be about family time and not everybody buying heaps of presents which they can't afford.

Reactions: Leenie and Gsr
Ridiculous....and spoils the festive season when it's just about these retailers making money out of Xmas !! It's supposed to be a time of family get-togethers and nice food not people getting coaxed into spending heaps of money on junk from these shops...and who has the money this Xmas ?? People are struggling just to eat! This Xmas should just be about family time and not everybody buying heaps of presents which they can't afford.
And you call Christmas....Xmas. You seem to be one of millions who have succumbed to the retail mindset.

By the way, I'm anti religious.

I have already bought some lights etc on line months ago. I get them off season while they are cheap. But I will be having a wander in Bunnings for a look

Reactions: Gsr and Charlie52
Does it really matter when things go on sale - be it for Christmas, Mother's Day or Father's Day etc? If you want/need something then go get it, more so if it comes at a bargain price. No big deal. For those who want to spend (whether needed or not) and for those who cannot afford it do what suits you best. No one else's opinion should matter.

For heaven's sake how is this money grabbing.
If you don't want them then don't buy them. It's Bunnings store and they can stock what they like when they like.
Not everyone is the same, some people like to organise and shop early, others like to leave things to the last minute They're the ones we will see on here complaining of the stores running out of stock.
If people have nothing better to do then complain about such a silly thing then I feel sorry for them.

View attachment 29416

Key Takeaways

I am not needing Christmas items but I don’t see anything wrong with the early release. I think there would be many people who would like to buy their things one or two things at a time to budget their costs. The only thing I say is there probably won’t be any specials on these items until closer to Christmas.

I visited Bunnings yesterday and was gobsmacked to find that Christmas stock was on their shelves super early. It didn't please me but, in the end, I had to buy what I wanted as stocks of some lines always run out quickly. I found that there were a number of highly priced items e.g. the Nutcracker drummer. At a time when customers are tightening their belts on discretionary items due to high, and getting higher, prices on food items I think this is beyond the pale. I love Christmas but this is waaaay too early even for me. I really don't want to get caught up in the Christmas fervour until October.

I get upset with the Christmas food and Easter food being on sale months before the event. It takes away from the excitement of the season. I refuse to buy hot cross buns until the month of Easter. I make my own fruit cakes throughout the year for my husband and I. No one else in the family like fruit cake so it's kind of pointless making it just for Christmas. As far as the decorations I reuse mine and I am happy that people can buy the decorations early so I can go look at the amazing light displays every year. I do however think it is a money grab by Bunnings because there are dedicated Christmas shops and Bunnings is trying to run them out of business

I get upset with the Christmas food and Easter food being on sale months before the event. It takes away from the excitement of the season. I refuse to buy hot cross buns until the month of Easter. I make my own fruit cakes throughout the year for my husband and I. No one else in the family like fruit cake so it's kind of pointless making it just for Christmas. As far as the decorations I reuse mine and I am happy that people can buy the decorations early so I can go look at the amazing light displays every year. I do however think it is a money grab by Bunnings because there are dedicated Christmas shops and Bunnings is trying to run them out of business
Most dedicated Christmas shops are miles too expensive.
I'm happy to buy mine from Bunnings.

View attachment 29416

Key Takeaways

View attachment 29416

Key Takeaways

we are not handtied so it is an option, buy or not buy.

View attachment 29416

Key Takeaways

Much, much too early. It's truly absurd. None of the 'reasons' given above wash with me. If you need to organize lights for an Xmas tree or garden in September, you must have a pretty empty life!

Much, much too early. It's truly absurd. None of the 'reasons' given above wash with me. If you need to organize lights for an Xmas tree or garden in September, you must have a pretty empty life!
Maybe some people like to be organised well before Christmas and spread the cost over a few months.