Bulk buying groceries can actually end up COSTING you more – here are some tips to follow!

In these days of economic crisis, many Aussies are looking for ways to save money, especially on groceries, and one of the most effective ways to do that is by buying groceries in bulk.

But did you know that bulk buying groceries can end up costing you more if you're not careful?

Turns out, there is also a term out there called 'impulse bulk buying', where a shopper stocks up on everything they think they need at home in just one trip to the supermarket.

Unfortunately, they end up wasting food and money because these products go bad and become unusable just before they're totally consumed.

Let's hear it from some of the victims of this so-called impulse bulk buying:

J0FQh6FkS3NILggCYV8J79AA4hUo0tlbaU_3dBQgswfG8cXj2uinoEdWWkeLfSXs0J1F_RkrDm5FeRZuVYlGLhFFsgGjjBsSxuoKrXHijwaqeufJNljj_gL3eWwXNHtClVpF2mz7

Store the bulk goods in the best way possible so that they really do contribute to future savings. Credit: 9Honey.

The first victim who shared her bulk buying experience (more like a tragedy) is Jane, who purchased an enormous (a whopping 303-gram bottle!) container of ground cinnamon a few years ago.

However, she didn't know back then that keeping them longer than a few months means you will likely just have dust in the jar because all the aromatics and volatile oils are long gone.

Thus, she was forced to throw out her big container of ground cinnamon which probably cost her a good fortune.

April, on the other hand, always bulk buys a bunch of fresh fruits on a Sunday. However, she regrets it halfway through the week because most of them are already soft and as good as waste.

For Joe, his regret was bulk buying carrots. "I've always thought they'll be a 'healthy snack' to munch on any time of the day. Months later, they're still at the bottom of my fridge," he said.

And for Serena, it was her favourite yoghurts from the supermarket. She realised later on that no matter how much you think you love them, you won't be able to eat one every single day and they will just expire in your fridge. She learned it the hard way.

bGOBQVT1HqFbM5fblPZeNWmnfbhxCVs0E7D5FgqieE_TSNV4xFCRW7pzJng7lIYjcxxfl2Gssn-FyGwTQj3Oh-JJqC_fMUpRxeTn2JlScUFcmjLvYSaCWSCbTda8nLFc81J71aMf

Bulk buying will keep your future shopping costs down as you'll already have what you need. Credit: The Markets at Shrewsbury.

To avoid being in the same situation as these folks, here are some tips to remember before bulk buying groceries:
  1. Plan your meals in advance and make a grocery list. This will help you save time and money by knowing exactly what you need to buy.
  2. Compare prices at different stores before bulk buying. This way you can get the best deal on the items you need.
  3. Buy in bulk when items are on sale. This will help you save money in the long run.
  4. Store bulk items properly to ensure they last. This includes keeping them in airtight containers and in a cool, dry place.

To summarise this article, bulk buying can indeed save you money on groceries if you are able to find good deals and purchase items that you are sure you can use before they expire.

However, bulk buying can also lead to waste and more expenses if you purchase more than you can use or over-consume because you have them in large quantities.

Do you have more bulk buying tips to share with us, folks? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Bulk buying groceries can actually end up COSTING you more – here are some tips to follow!

In these days of economic crisis, many Aussies are looking for ways to save money, especially on groceries, and one of the most effective ways to do that is by buying groceries in bulk.

But did you know that bulk buying groceries can end up costing you more if you're not careful?

Turns out, there is also a term out there called 'impulse bulk buying', where a shopper stocks up on everything they think they need at home in just one trip to the supermarket.

Unfortunately, they end up wasting food and money because these products go bad and become unusable just before they're totally consumed.

Let's hear it from some of the victims of this so-called impulse bulk buying:

J0FQh6FkS3NILggCYV8J79AA4hUo0tlbaU_3dBQgswfG8cXj2uinoEdWWkeLfSXs0J1F_RkrDm5FeRZuVYlGLhFFsgGjjBsSxuoKrXHijwaqeufJNljj_gL3eWwXNHtClVpF2mz7

Store the bulk goods in the best way possible so that they really do contribute to future savings. Credit: 9Honey.

The first victim who shared her bulk buying experience (more like a tragedy) is Jane, who purchased an enormous (a whopping 303-gram bottle!) container of ground cinnamon a few years ago.

However, she didn't know back then that keeping them longer than a few months means you will likely just have dust in the jar because all the aromatics and volatile oils are long gone.

Thus, she was forced to throw out her big container of ground cinnamon which probably cost her a good fortune.

April, on the other hand, always bulk buys a bunch of fresh fruits on a Sunday. However, she regrets it halfway through the week because most of them are already soft and as good as waste.

For Joe, his regret was bulk buying carrots. "I've always thought they'll be a 'healthy snack' to munch on any time of the day. Months later, they're still at the bottom of my fridge," he said.

And for Serena, it was her favourite yoghurts from the supermarket. She realised later on that no matter how much you think you love them, you won't be able to eat one every single day and they will just expire in your fridge. She learned it the hard way.

bGOBQVT1HqFbM5fblPZeNWmnfbhxCVs0E7D5FgqieE_TSNV4xFCRW7pzJng7lIYjcxxfl2Gssn-FyGwTQj3Oh-JJqC_fMUpRxeTn2JlScUFcmjLvYSaCWSCbTda8nLFc81J71aMf

Bulk buying will keep your future shopping costs down as you'll already have what you need. Credit: The Markets at Shrewsbury.

To avoid being in the same situation as these folks, here are some tips to remember before bulk buying groceries:
  1. Plan your meals in advance and make a grocery list. This will help you save time and money by knowing exactly what you need to buy.
  2. Compare prices at different stores before bulk buying. This way you can get the best deal on the items you need.
  3. Buy in bulk when items are on sale. This will help you save money in the long run.
  4. Store bulk items properly to ensure they last. This includes keeping them in airtight containers and in a cool, dry place.

To summarise this article, bulk buying can indeed save you money on groceries if you are able to find good deals and purchase items that you are sure you can use before they expire.

However, bulk buying can also lead to waste and more expenses if you purchase more than you can use or over-consume because you have them in large quantities.

Do you have more bulk buying tips to share with us, folks? Let us know in the comments below!
Always check unit price- $— per 100 gm. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy 2 smaller instead of 1 large.

Due to allergies, I must buy bulk Chai, this time it was 12 kgs. BUT, they are in vacuum sealed bags, and it's definately cheaper than the $6.50 jars in the supermarkets. Plus the price is substantially cheaper, with delivery included.

Reactions: Ricci
Do you have more bulk buying tips to share

Why not share bulk buying with a neighbour or friend, that way singles or smaller families will be able to benefit from bulk buying opportunities and not have to worry about expiring products and wastage.

Robbo has the right idea about bulk buying. The mainstay is how many you are buying for (in a family) or extending kindnesses to friends.. One needs to be sensible, understanding of the delivery side of the issue & the sincerity of helping that sooner or later just might become an effort. Taking a loners point of view it is. no longer my scene. when I had a family issue it was, Watching bargains now is my doubling up on a small scale to ride me over weekends, especially fruit. My entire life has been budgeting, commonsense & health & it has kept me forever aware of "cutting ones cloth according to measure." Dare I say WW2 taught us oldies so many tricks of the trade. You just cannot make comparisons with "IF." Generations change politically even. Age changes & the competition is enormous today. There is just too much for us to decide on. I think bulk buying is excellent IF one knows not to be greedy. "Waste" is a commodity we can ill afford especially today. Domestic economy & knowing the items true value healthwise must be in our minds constantly when buying. As a child one little drilling I was taught has remained in my mind. The word "FRESH" which classified grow your own fruit & veggies. I lived on a 25 ft frontage & Dad grew EVERYTHING to keep us healthy. Later my teacher @ Tech taught me another drilling. NEVER keep spices over 6 months so I make sure buying on a small scale omits waste. Herbs need never be an effort in pots or small contained gardens no matter what circumstances you find yourself in. As I step down from the pulpit dare I make a true comparison with my young days & say, "My wish today would be for less greed & more selfless people who simply loved to swap with neighbours who had a glut of strawberries to swap with the next one who had a glut of tomatoes & so on." No need for bulk buying & families were BIG." Just one day @ a time. You never had wealth to think about. Loving, sharing, happy. Now, many of us never know their neighbour in case they are called upon to do something. YES, "over the fence sure had its lovely advantages."

Robbo has the right idea about bulk buying. The mainstay is how many you are buying for (in a family) or extending kindnesses to friends.. One needs to be sensible, understanding of the delivery side of the issue & the sincerity of helping that sooner or later just might become an effort. Taking a loners point of view it is. no longer my scene. when I had a family issue it was, Watching bargains now is my doubling up on a small scale to ride me over weekends, especially fruit. My entire life has been budgeting, commonsense & health & it has kept me forever aware of "cutting ones cloth according to measure." Dare I say WW2 taught us oldies so many tricks of the trade. You just cannot make comparisons with "IF." Generations change politically even. Age changes & the competition is enormous today. There is just too much for us to decide on. I think bulk buying is excellent IF one knows not to be greedy. "Waste" is a commodity we can ill afford especially today. Domestic economy & knowing the items true value healthwise must be in our minds constantly when buying. As a child one little drilling I was taught has remained in my mind. The word "FRESH" which classified grow your own fruit & veggies. I lived on a 25 ft frontage & Dad grew EVERYTHING to keep us healthy. Later my teacher @ Tech taught me another drilling. NEVER keep spices over 6 months so I make sure buying on a small scale omits waste. Herbs need never be an effort in pots or small contained gardens no matter what circumstances you find yourself in. As I step down from the pulpit dare I make a true comparison with my young days & say, "My wish today would be for less greed & more selfless people who simply loved to swap with neighbours who had a glut of strawberries to swap with the next one who had a glut of tomatoes & so on." No need for bulk buying & families were BIG." Just one day @ a time. You never had wealth to think about. Loving, sharing, happy. Now, many of us never know their neighbour in case they are called upon to do something. YES, "over the fence sure had its lovely advantages."