Bug off: Aussie gurus share secret recipes to keep your home pest-free!

As we age, we often find joy in the simple pleasures of life, like a well-kept garden or a clean and comfortable home.

However, one of the less pleasant aspects of maintaining our cozy living spaces is dealing with the inevitable invasion of pesky kitchen bugs and fruit flies. These unwelcome guests can be a nuisance, buzzing around our fruit bowls and damp areas.

But fear not—a seasoned gardener has a secret weapon that's not only effective but also made from ingredients you likely have in your pantry right now!

Barbara O'Neill, shared her top trick for getting rid of these irritating insects in a matter of minutes, and it's as simple as mixing three common household items.

Her fool-proof recipe, which she generously shared on social media, has garnered attention for its stunning results.

photo (6).jpg
Barbara O’Neill, a seasoned gardener, shared her trick for getting rid of bugs and fruit flies using three everyday household items. Credits: Facebook / Garden with Barbara O’Neill

To prepare this magical concoction, you'll need half a cup of vinegar, half a cup of olive oil, and half a cup of shampoo.

The vinegar acts as an attractant for the bugs, the olive oil traps them, and the shampoo thickens the mixture, making it harder for the bugs to escape once they've landed.

Simply mix these ingredients together in a bowl and place it in the kitchen where the bugs are most prevalent.

You'll want to leave the mixture out for a couple of hours or until you notice that the bugs have been caught. If your kitchen is particularly buggy, you might need to repeat the process.

This method is not only quick and easy, but it's also a safer alternative to chemical-laden bug sprays, which can be harmful to both our health and the environment.

Plus, it's cost-effective, saving you a trip to the store and a few dollars along the way.

However, the bug-busting tips don't stop there. Another Australian cleaning and organising guru, Anita Birges, also shared her simple tip for preventing mould and pests in wardrobes and drawers.

Anita, who heads Mise en Place Professional Organising, recommended using jumbo pieces of chalk infused with essential oils as a natural deterrent.

To keep your clothes and linens free from mould, Anita suggested adding a few drops of clove oil onto a jumbo chalk stick.

The clove oil is known for its antifungal properties, and the chalk absorbs moisture, which helps to prevent mould growth.

For just $3.25, you can pick up a pack of 20 chalk sticks at retailers like Kmart.

Anita recommended adding lavender oil to the chalk to combat moths and silverfish, while peppermint oil is excellent for keeping spiders, mice, and other critters at bay.

She advised using two to three drops of essential oil per jumbo piece of chalk and strategically placing them in drawers and wardrobes.

Remember, using white chalk is best to avoid any pigments bleeding onto your clothing.

These natural solutions are not only effective but also leave your spaces smelling fresh and clean.

Anita shared that she buys all her oils from a local chemist.

The internet is buzzing with innovative methods for keeping your living space bug-free, from DIY tricks to surprising tips.

However, have you ever considered the unexpected ways pantry moths can infiltrate your home? Anita Birges also shared a surprising tip to eliminate pantry moths once and for all.

It's time to take control of your home environment and say goodbye to those unwanted guests.
Key Takeaways

• Barbara O’Neill shared a simple three-ingredient recipe that reportedly gets rid of kitchen bugs and fruit flies quickly.
  • The remedy consists of half a cup of vinegar, half a cup of olive oil, and half a cup of shampoo, mixed and placed in a bowl to trap insects.
  • Anita Birges, a professional organiser, also recommended a method using jumbo chalk and essential oils to prevent mould and pests in wardrobes.
  • Chalk infused with clove, lavender, and peppermint oils can absorb moisture, repel moths, spiders, and other pests, as well as keep drawers fresh-smelling.
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you have your own tried-and-true bug-repellent tips? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
roaches are the biggest 'bugbear'... I have 6 cans dotted around for easy access so when I see one I can take action....

My mum who passed away at 92 some years ago, gave me a recipe to get rid off cockroachs that really works.
I have a ice-cream parlour when I first brought it and I opened the door for the first time there was roaches everywhere...I had the pestie there 3 times.
Then mum said mix 50/50 icing sugar with plaster parish power put on lids under fridges and any where other animals can not get to it.
This combination sets lit cement in their tummy and they can't lay their eggs..
It really works
Leah

My mum who passed away at 92 some years ago, gave me a recipe to get rid off cockroachs that really works.
I have a ice-cream parlour when I first brought it and I opened the door for the first time there was roaches everywhere...I had the pestie there 3 times.
Then mum said mix 50/50 icing sugar with plaster parish power put on lids under fridges and any where other animals can not get to it.
It really works
Leah
Thanks for that!!!!

It really works
Leah
Omg 😮 really that’s hilarious.🤣