Broadway legend Chita Rivera passes away at 91

The world of theatre is mourning as it bids farewell to one of its brightest stars, Chita Rivera.

The Tony Award-winning actress, whose illustrious career spanned an incredible seven decades, passed away at 91.

Her death was confirmed by her long-time friend, Merle Frimark, who expressed immense personal sorrow at the loss of the beloved Broadway icon.

‘It is with immense personal sorrow that I announce the death of the beloved Broadway icon Chita Rivera. My dear friend of over 40 years was 91.’ the statement read.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 7.26.07 AM.png
Broadway icon Chita Rivera passed away at 91. Credit: @therealchitarivera / Instagram

Born Dolores Conchita Figueroa del Rivero in Washington DC in 1933, Rivera was of Puerto Rican heritage.

By the age of 16, she had already caught the eye of renowned choreographer George Balanchine and moved to New York City to attend the School of American Ballet.

This marked the beginning of a career that would make her one of the most celebrated performers in Broadway history.

Rivera's early stage career saw her take on roles in classic productions such as Guys and Dolls (1953) and Can-Can (1954).

However, it was her performances as Anita in West Side Story, Velma Kelly in Chicago, and the title role in Kiss of the Spider Woman that truly cemented her status as a theatre legend.

Her daughter, Lisa Mordente, confirmed that Rivera passed away in New York on Tuesday following a ‘brief illness’.

Performance historian Brian Herrera of Princeton University paid tribute to Rivera.

‘She was one of the few performers who put their stamp on Broadway in virtually every decade,’ he said.

‘She was a treasure of the American theatre.’

Unlike many theatre stars who transition to television and film or dancers who become choreographers, Rivera's passion for the stage never waned.

'She was a performer, through and through,' Herrera said.

'She was remarkable, not only for her achievements but because she was extraordinarily beloved.'

In addition to her stage work, Rivera also made appearances on popular television shows such as The Ed Sullivan Show and The Judy Garland Show. She also showcased her talents on the silver screen, playing Nicki in the 1969 musical movie Sweet Charity.

Rivera's contributions to the arts were recognised at the highest level.

She received a Presidential Medal of Freedom from former US President Barack Obama and was honoured at the Kennedy Centre in 2009.

Over the course of her career, she was nominated for 10 Tony Awards, winning three, including a special award for Lifetime Achievement in 2018.

Key Takeaways

• Tony Award-winning Broadway icon Chita Rivera has died at the age of 91.
  • Her career spanned seven decades on the stage, and she passed away in New York after a brief illness.
  • She remained dedicated to live theatre throughout her life, earning high praise for her performances and being described as a treasure of the American theatre.
  • Among her accolades were the Presidential Medal of Freedom and a Kennedy Centre Honour, as well as three Tony Awards, including a special award for Lifetime Achievement.
As we remember Chita Rivera, we celebrate not only her extraordinary talent but also her enduring spirit. May she rest in peace.

Have you seen any of Chita Rivera's performances? What was your favourite role of hers? Share your memories and tributes in the comments below.

Sponsored
I had the pleasure of meeting Chita after she performed at His Majesty’s Theatre in Perth in 2011. She was a true “triple threat”. Writing of her backstage routine, she said “The only time my door would close would be just before I went on and I said my prayers. I would say the Our Father, the Hail Mary and the Act of Contrition. Then I’d go off to be crazy! … My prayer was always, ‘Let me say the right words, let me please the audience, let me do a good show.’”
She did a good show for 70+ years.