British expat shares DISCOVERY of delicious traditional British bacon at Coles and Woolworths

Whether you love it or hate it (just for the record, we love it, possibly a little too much), Australian bacon is definitely different to what you’ll find in other parts of the world.

And although some might say it’s better, non Aussies might do a double take if they order bacon & eggs at a cafe when they see what turns up.

A British expat claimed that while Australia has a lot of offerings that could blow the UK out of the water — such as sunsets, beaches, fresh produce, and Aussie's love for anything local — Aussie bacon is just not her cup of tea.

News.com.au correspondent Rebekah Scanlan said that in her opinion, bacon is just "better back home".

"It’s more flavoursome and crisps up better. You simply can’t beat it," she quipped.

So, what is it that makes Australian bacon so different?

Well, for starters, it’s usually sold pre-cooked and is an opaque shade of pink. This is in stark contrast to bacon in the UK, which is raw and translucent.

qNe3p9EbRLvDB_gcwClplVNmBneAZZAKmGImtYo5UWZ5v-KmxIsVF3r7CJ_qQ6SZGG43rSMci41H5P-Vwsq27o9T7vdj_NPLuR5MRT9jrW-jyr2O0F2-hku5LyYjWpl8azUMF85t7_uOzd1u

An expat claimed that The British Sausage Ham & Bacon brand tastes similar to traditional British bacon. Credit: news.com.au.

Mick Nunn, a staff member from Salt Kitchen Charcuterie, an Australian company producing cured meats, explained that the curing process for British bacon is very different to the Australian way of curing meat.

He said: “The main difference is that traditional British bacon is cold smoked, essentially pickled or brined, not cooked.”

“The majority of Australian bacon is hot smoked, ready to eat out of the pack which central-European migrants have influenced to Australia over many years (such as German, Italian populations).”

Rebekah said that every time she goes home to the UK, a bacon sarnie is always at the top of her "must eat" list.

So, when she discovered that she can get her hands on some “traditional English bacon” in Coles and Woolworths recently — which she noted was rare as most items sold in Aussie supermarkets are local products — she checked it out.

"At first inspection I was initially unconvinced. The British Sausage Ham & Bacon brand uses Australian pork – could it really taste like the rashers I buy back home?" she questioned.

However, the brand's website claimed that while it uses Aussie meat to make the bacon, the product is created using the recipe of “a third generation UK butcher who immigrated to Australia”.

"So I decided to give it a go and purchased the smoked version – and to my surprise, I was not disappointed," she shared.

And her verdict? The bacon tasted just like it does in the UK.

mJwArm5CFRpJ3vTjecpfflL0UadHf3mDnDWFswB9a1Sg1QJ439GhK6oKpq5ybCp98o771tgG-eTZvaQn8Y-Fo_VI0IM5KMIftPYEqeeybzj4m7FJEcQAROX6x2_UVZhn3hZpWDO7oGTrlslm
3tFrrzUTMDC4ZCe99PgZqzSSOUkK33-afWzXgYPgItlnaB7_3mPlGEAVI0FQvG5Lao4YdP8vpObJCOSQ9PbrXZKnKhdcq5Pm5Wxgb6aRbv9PhR5L6Nk5kmPRH5DBajHHZPo_DLYsIlUZ8H54

The product can be found in the shelves of Woolworths and Coles. Credit: news.com.au.

She also noted that the bacon crisped out without the need for any additional oil, similar to the traditional British meat.

She quipped: "My only criticism would be that a 200g pack, which I’ve found usually gets me seven rashers, is $7. In comparison, a 200g pack of supermarket own-brand shortcut bacon costs $3.80."

Rebekah also shared that since she discovered the item, she told her expat friends to try it as well, with many saying that they are delighted with the product.

The news correspondent reached out to Coles and Woolworths about the product, revealing that both the companies confirmed that the "popular" item is not new and has been available for purchase since 2019.

So, there you have it, folks! For those who have tasted British bacon before, do you agree with Rebekah? Does it taste better than Aussie bacon? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
British expat shares DISCOVERY of delicious traditional British bacon at Coles and Woolworths

Whether you love it or hate it (just for the record, we love it, possibly a little too much), Australian bacon is definitely different to what you’ll find in other parts of the world.

And although some might say it’s better, non Aussies might do a double take if they order bacon & eggs at a cafe when they see what turns up.

A British expat claimed that while Australia has a lot of offerings that could blow the UK out of the water — such as sunsets, beaches, fresh produce, and Aussie's love for anything local — Aussie bacon is just not her cup of tea.

News.com.au correspondent Rebekah Scanlan said that in her opinion, bacon is just "better back home".

"It’s more flavoursome and crisps up better. You simply can’t beat it," she quipped.

Well, for starters, it’s usually sold pre-cooked and is an opaque shade of pink. This is in stark contrast to bacon in the UK, which is raw and translucent.

qNe3p9EbRLvDB_gcwClplVNmBneAZZAKmGImtYo5UWZ5v-KmxIsVF3r7CJ_qQ6SZGG43rSMci41H5P-Vwsq27o9T7vdj_NPLuR5MRT9jrW-jyr2O0F2-hku5LyYjWpl8azUMF85t7_uOzd1u

An expat claimed that The British Sausage Ham & Bacon brand tastes similar to traditional British bacon. Credit: news.com.au.

Mick Nunn, a staff member from Salt Kitchen Charcuterie, an Australian company producing cured meats, explained that the curing process for British bacon is very different to the Australian way of curing meat.

He said: “The main difference is that traditional British bacon is cold smoked, essentially pickled or brined, not cooked.”

“The majority of Australian bacon is hot smoked, ready to eat out of the pack which central-European migrants have influenced to Australia over many years (such as German, Italian populations).”

Rebekah said that every time she goes home to the UK, a bacon sarnie is always at the top of her "must eat" list.

So, when she discovered that she can get her hands on some “traditional English bacon” in Coles and Woolworths recently — which she noted was rare as most items sold in Aussie supermarkets are local products — she checked it out.

"At first inspection I was initially unconvinced. The British Sausage Ham & Bacon brand uses Australian pork – could it really taste like the rashers I buy back home?" she questioned.

However, the brand's website claimed that while it uses Aussie meat to make the bacon, the product is created using the recipe of “a third generation UK butcher who immigrated to Australia”.

"So I decided to give it a go and purchased the smoked version – and to my surprise, I was not disappointed," she shared.

mJwArm5CFRpJ3vTjecpfflL0UadHf3mDnDWFswB9a1Sg1QJ439GhK6oKpq5ybCp98o771tgG-eTZvaQn8Y-Fo_VI0IM5KMIftPYEqeeybzj4m7FJEcQAROX6x2_UVZhn3hZpWDO7oGTrlslm
3tFrrzUTMDC4ZCe99PgZqzSSOUkK33-afWzXgYPgItlnaB7_3mPlGEAVI0FQvG5Lao4YdP8vpObJCOSQ9PbrXZKnKhdcq5Pm5Wxgb6aRbv9PhR5L6Nk5kmPRH5DBajHHZPo_DLYsIlUZ8H54

The product can be found in the shelves of Woolworths and Coles. Credit: news.com.au.

She also noted that the bacon crisped out without the need for any additional oil, similar to the traditional British meat.

She quipped: "My only criticism would be that a 200g pack, which I’ve found usually gets me seven rashers, is $7. In comparison, a 200g pack of supermarket own-brand shortcut bacon costs $3.80."

Rebekah also shared that since she discovered the item, she told her expat friends to try it as well, with many saying that they are delighted with the product.

The news correspondent reached out to Coles and Woolworths about the product, revealing that both the companies confirmed that the "popular" item is not new and has been available for purchase since 2019.

So, there you have it, folks! For those who have tasted British bacon before, do you agree with Rebekah? Does it taste better than Aussie bacon? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Tried it but was not impressed with the price nor taste to me it was better than local bacon which is way too fatty but the so-called British lacked the streaky which is the tasty part.

Reactions: Ricci
So that's why there is such a taste difference, it's all in the smoking! I just thought it must be fond nostalgia seeing as I haven't been back since I emigrated in 1983. I must give it a go and see if it lives up to my taste memories!!;)
DEf give it a try, my husband and myself are both English and he being a typical male that will eat bacon with absolutely anything has given his full approval to the British bacon and sausage co offering all though his Scottish heritage baulks at the price!!

I have tried it , i was very disappointed , also tried the black pudding which is supposedly made to an authentic recipe, in my opinion it contains too much oatmeal & is nothing like the black pudding in UK . On the other hand i enjoy their Cumberland & pork sausages.

Reactions: Gaena and Penny4

So, a good idea would be!! Further to this, the best way to cook this is???? (Frypan/Grill/Air fryer) This would at least finish the story instead of leaving us hanging!

Reactions: Kgee

I do agree British bacon is different....and given a choice, as an expat I prefer it.. .but I still eat Assie bacon....a lot.....and am yet to find it pre-cooked ,ready to eat from the packet as you describe......I have never seen this in almost 50 years of Australian residence..... bacon is cured, yes , but always needs cooking.

Reactions: Kgee and SandyM
Tried this couple of years ago and have been sold on it ever since regardless of the price. It is one of the very few Australian Pork bacon rashers (90-100%). Other brands to be had from Coles, Woolies and Aldi, Most are 10 - 30% Australian pork - guess where the balance comes from ???
If you want quality - you have to pay for it.

The Bacon shown in the article is Back Bacon and that cut does not have the same amount of the fat that can give the better taste and crispiness that bacon lovers look for The company also offer Streaky Bacon prepared the English way which is the one most loved by my bacon addicted husband

Reactions: Kgee