British expat horrified by what they discovered in Australian supermarkets–‘this is what (they) think British people eat?’

The world is a melting pot of cultures and cuisines, and nowhere is this more evident than in the international food aisles of groceries.

These sections are a lifeline for expats craving a taste of home, but for one British expat in Australia, a trip down the British food aisle at a local Coles turned into a bewildering and disappointing experience.

The 23-year-old UK man, currently on a working holiday visa in Australia, was left ‘shocked’ and ‘disgusted’ by what he found—or rather, what he didn't find—in the British section of the store.

He said, ‘Truthfully I'm a little bit shocked that this is what the big wigs at Coles think British people eat.’

His expectations of finding familiar comforts from home were dashed when he encountered a selection of items he claimed no true Brit would regularly consume.

434853584_859595146209997_2127303317426560449_n.jpg
4.4 per cent of Australia’s population were born in England. Image Source: Facebook / Dull Men's Community

We know the joy of finding a beloved treat from the past, so we can empathise with the young man's dismay.

The nostalgia associated with food from our home country or childhood can be powerful, and when it's not met, it can be pretty jarring.

The expat's grievances were many, but the absence of Marmite, a quintessential British spread, seemed to hit the hardest.

Instead, he found ‘Our Mate’—the Australian equivalent—on the shelves. While it's essentially the same product, the name change is due to an ongoing trademark issue with Sanitarium's Marmite spread in Australia and New Zealand.

He laments, ‘I'm disgusted by the fact they are replacing Marmite with “Our Mate”, yet if you go out of the British section you will find the real “Marmite” next to the “Vegemite”.'

The British section did stock some familiar items, such as Bisto Gravy granules, which the man preferred over the Australian brand Gravox, and Galaxy Minstrels, though he balked at the price.

Other items like mushy peas, Branston pickles, PG Tips tea bags, Colman's Mustard, Yorkshire pudding mixes, and Tunnocks Caramel Wafers filled the shelves, but the selection still left much to be desired.

For a homesick Brit, such detail matters, and it's a subtle reminder that they're not in the UK anymore.

The expat's critique of the aisle sparked a debate among fellow Brits, with many sharing their own criticisms of the grocery's interpretation of British food.

One Brit comments, ‘That's the most un-British section I've ever seen.’

One user found the selection humorous, saying, ‘That's hilarious. All the lovely British foods and they pick pot noodles! Can we send you an emergency food parcel?’

Some pointed out that certain products, like Barry's Tea and Tayto crisps, are Irish, while others reminisced about discontinued or hard-to-find items like Terry's Chocolate Orange and Jaffa cakes.

However, not all feedback was negative. Some shoppers expressed satisfaction at seeing their favorite snacks, such as Tunnocks Caramel Wafers and Sandwich Spread, available so far from home.

The Batchelors mushy peas also received approval from those who enjoy them with sausage and mash.
Key Takeaways
  • A UK man on a working holiday visa in Australia expressed his shock and disgust at the British food section in a Coles.
  • He critiqued the selection of items, noting the high prices and inappropriate choices that do not reflect typical British cuisine, and criticised the substitute 'Our Mate' for Marmite.
  • Other British expats and commentators pointed out inaccuracies and oddities in the product selection, with some items being Irish or Scottish rather than British.
  • Despite the criticism, some shoppers appreciated items like Tunnock's Caramel Wafers and Bisto gravy granules, acknowledging that these are beloved UK products.
This story raises an interesting point about the globalisation of food and how groceries curate their international sections.

It's a delicate balance between providing expats with a taste of home and catering to a broader audience that may not be as familiar with the nuances of a particular country's cuisine.

Remember, while it may be disheartening to find that the food from home isn't quite as you remember it, there's a whole new world of culinary delights to explore. You might find a new favorite you'll miss when you're back home!

Still missing British food? Try this Bangers n Mash recipe by our member @Suzanne rose

For our members who have traveled or lived abroad, have you ever encountered a similar situation? Have you found the Australian versions of your favorite international foods? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
So would he expect any of these if he chose Asia or South America as a holiday destination. ? Travel is an enrichment of your experiences including food. Stay home if you want similar food. Migrants are indeed broadening the Australian cuisine, so maybe look for a British Pub

Lol have to laugh at this...YOU are in Australia...try to adapt...🤣🤣🤣🤣want REAL British foods..unfortunately they await you in Britain...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jennie
British section- never seen one in any of my local Coles stores. Why do we have to have marmite? People are just ridiculous. If you travel expect to find different products and do not complain.

Reactions: 52-KID and Jennie
The things I would ask for when my husband went back to the UK to visit his Mum was Toffee crisp and club biscuits. The club bisuits are nothing like they were when I was a kid. They used to be a sandwich biscuit with a creamy filling (my favourite being Orange or mint) and they had thick chocolate covering them. You would bite all the chocolate off leaving the biscuit to enjoy. Now they have only one layer of biscuit with the cream filling on top and covered in a very thin layer of chocolate. I can actually buy club biscuits from Woolies now but I haven’t bothered, they’re just not worth the bother.

TheNZ one has Gingernuts, Marshmellow frogs and other useless items. Could have changed of late. Marmite YUK.

British section- never seen one in any of my local Coles stores. Why do we have to have marmite? People are just ridiculous. If you travel expect to find different products and do not complain.
maybe if you were living in another country you would change your mind. Traveling and living in a country are two different things. Don't be so ridiculous.

maybe if you were living in another country you would change your mind. Traveling and living in a country are two different things. Don't be so ridiculous.
???.whose being ridiculous? exactly- living and travelling are different. One cant expect to have all the home foods when travelling!

no not the people- the expectation. And it's pot calling kettle black- you called me ridiculous! How is that different? Really it's all in perception/interpretation.
read your comment again. PEOPLE. I did not say you are ridiculous i said don't be so ridiculous. in english they are two different sayings.