British expat exposes 'feral' Aussie shopping habits… Which ones are you guilty of?

Most of us here are regular supermarket shoppers, and we've seen some pretty weird things happen in the aisles of local supermarkets—but nothing quite as bizarre as the antics that have recently been highlighted by a British expat.

Jordana Grace, who has been living in Australia for the past few years, took to social media recently to call attention to some of the 'feral' behaviours she observed in numerous stores like Woolworths, Coles and ALDI.

These acts included going barefoot in the aisles, wearing pyjamas, engaging in public displays of affection, 'sampling' food without making a purchase and throwing items back onto the wrong shelves.

To her credit, Jordana acknowledged her own involvement in a number of these practices, laughing while admitting, 'How many are you guilty of? I got four out of six.'

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 1.32.14 PM.png
A British expat criticises 'feral' shopping behaviours of Aussies at popular supermarkets like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI. Credit: TikTok/thejordanagrace.

Going barefoot was the first on her list of transgressions—although she did point out that this was likely due to the more relaxed lifestyle of beach-dwellers!

'It's gross, but I can't help it sometimes. You kind of forget the concept of shoes when you grow up living close to the coast,' Jordana said.

As for wearing pyjamas, the expat found herself guilty of this too. 'It's uncivilised,' she said, but later admitted that she was usually driven by late-night snack cravings. (We're guilty of this too…)

Another habit on Jordana's list was sampling food before buying, especially grapes—which she argued was a form of theft due to the fact that prices are usually weight-based.

'I don't think it's OK to eat grapes before buying; it's like thievery,' she said before sharing that this practice still happens in Aussie supermarkets despite its illegality.

She then proceeded to condemn customers for reaching recklessly into the back of shelves to find items that last for longer periods of time. Although, she couldn't help but add, 'Do you know how much food costs? Yeah, I want it to last for a long time.'

The British expat then went on to warn other shoppers against engaging in amorous activities in supermarkets.

'Don't be kissing and canoodling in the cereal aisle,' she said. 'I'm just trying to get past you to get my Weet-Bix, don't make my day harder.'

Finally, Jordana criticised an even more egregious habit of returning items to the wrong shelves—and again, she couldn't help but admit to having done it herself.

Key Takeaways

• A British expat, Jordana Grace, has criticised what she refers to as 'feral' behaviours by Australian supermarket shoppers.
  • She outlined several practices she found disturbing, including shopping barefoot or in pyjamas, public displays of affection, sampling food pre-purchase, and misplacing items on the shelves.
  • Despite her criticisms, Grace admitted to succumbing to some of these behaviours due, in part, to her laid-back coastal lifestyle.

Members, have you ever come across any of those amusingly 'feral' behaviours at your local supermarkets? And which of these quirky antics have you been caught doing yourself? We all have our moments when we get a little goofy during our weekly shopping adventures!

But even though we might have some fun in the aisles, let's remember to keep it respectful to others around us. You never know who you might run into while reaching for that cereal box or comparing prices on the shelves.

We're really curious to read your hilarious supermarket stories or your thoughts on this matter. So, don't hesitate to share them with us in the comments section below! Let's keep the conversation friendly and light-hearted as we bond over our supermarket experiences!

Sponsored
If you don't like it, go back to your own country & stop trying to change us. I hate these
people that come here & try to enforce their way of life onto everyone else.
I do not think she was doing as you say but just exercising her right to have an opinion.
Saying go back to your own country could be seen as racist too as this will quite possibly be this persons country of choice.
Shopping in pj's is simply not appropriate.

people who live in glass house's you know the rest, what on earth did this idiot write this for, complete waste of space she as well as the piece. I for one am sick of POMS coming over here and complaining about things we do guess what FOOL different country, things are bound to be different, BUT as you admitted there are pigs and slobs and you fit into both of those categories, in both countries. Either live with it or go AWAY.
Most of us here are regular supermarket shoppers, and we've seen some pretty weird things happen in the aisles of local supermarkets—but nothing quite as bizarre as the antics that have recently been highlighted by a British expat.

Jordana Grace, who has been living in Australia for the past few years, took to social media recently to call attention to some of the 'feral' behaviours she observed in numerous stores like Woolworths, Coles and ALDI.

These acts included going barefoot in the aisles, wearing pyjamas, engaging in public displays of affection, 'sampling' food without making a purchase and throwing items back onto the wrong shelves.

To her credit, Jordana acknowledged her own involvement in a number of these practices, laughing while admitting, 'How many are you guilty of? I got four out of six.'

View attachment 25904
A British expat criticises 'feral' shopping behaviours of Aussies at popular supermarkets like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI. Credit: TikTok/thejordanagrace.

Going barefoot was the first on her list of transgressions—although she did point out that this was likely due to the more relaxed lifestyle of beach-dwellers!

'It's gross, but I can't help it sometimes. You kind of forget the concept of shoes when you grow up living close to the coast,' Jordana said.

As for wearing pyjamas, the expat found herself guilty of this too. 'It's uncivilised,' she said, but later admitted that she was usually driven by late-night snack cravings. (We're guilty of this too…)

Another habit on Jordana's list was sampling food before buying, especially grapes—which she argued was a form of theft due to the fact that prices are usually weight-based.

'I don't think it's OK to eat grapes before buying; it's like thievery,' she said before sharing that this practice still happens in Aussie supermarkets despite its illegality.

She then proceeded to condemn customers for reaching recklessly into the back of shelves to find items that last for longer periods of time. Although, she couldn't help but add, 'Do you know how much food costs? Yeah, I want it to last for a long time.'

The British expat then went on to warn other shoppers against engaging in amorous activities in supermarkets.

'Don't be kissing and canoodling in the cereal aisle,' she said. 'I'm just trying to get past you to get my Weet-Bix, don't make my day harder.'

Finally, Jordana criticised an even more egregious habit of returning items to the wrong shelves—and again, she couldn't help but admit to having done it herself.

Key Takeaways

• A British expat, Jordana Grace, has criticised what she refers to as 'feral' behaviours by Australian supermarket shoppers.
  • She outlined several practices she found disturbing, including shopping barefoot or in pyjamas, public displays of affection, sampling food pre-purchase, and misplacing items on the shelves.
  • Despite her criticisms, Grace admitted to succumbing to some of these behaviours due, in part, to her laid-back coastal lifestyle.

Members, have you ever come across any of those amusingly 'feral' behaviours at your local supermarkets? And which of these quirky antics have you been caught doing yourself? We all have our moments when we get a little goofy during our weekly shopping adventures!

But even though we might have some fun in the aisles, let's remember to keep it respectful to others around us. You never know who you might run into while reaching for that cereal box or comparing prices on the shelves.

We're really curious to read your hilarious supermarket stories or your thoughts on this matter. So, don't hesitate to share them with us in the comments section below! Let's keep the conversation friendly and light-hearted as we bond over our supermarket experiences!

Jordana, I suggest that you do ALL of your shopping ONLINE in order to protect your tender sensibilities from becoming offended. There are people who behave badly everywhere, not just here in Australia. I have travelled all over the world and bad manners are everywhere, and I suggest that if you can not deal with the mental distress of coping with grocery shopping at the Supermarket - STAY AT HOME!

me neither...!
You're lucky, the people where you live must have a little more class.
Unfortunately, where I used to live (Mandurah) I had seen the barefooted and pj clad bogans on more occasions than I care to remember.
Sometimes they even get classy though and add their dressing gown if it's a bit cold.
Some people have no shame, no excuse for such slobby behaviour IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren

View attachment 25904

Key Takeaways

Don't like living in the lucky country 🤣piss off back to England simple 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 25904

Key Takeaways

I'm getting on in years, but I have NEVER seen anyone wearing pyjamas in an Australian supermarket..(but I understood that it was an American thing).
Go to tasmania it’s done everyday on the west coast😱some people don’t give a shite👎

• Wow
I really don't like what the world has become, it's all about oneself, bugger everyone else. I also dislike grocery shopping for various reasons, fortunately my husband doesn't mind.

• Sad