Brisbane legend passes at 67—remembering Ross Thornton's legacy

The Australian sports community is in mourning following the loss of a beloved figure in Aussie Rules football.

Ross Thornton—a former Fitzroy player and Brisbane Lions Club Director—passed away on April 25 at the age of 67 after a valiant battle with cancer.

Thornton's legacy is deeply etched in the history of the Fitzroy Football Club, where he played 146 games during their successful run in the 1980s.

His prowess on the field was undeniable, culminating in his winning the club's best and fairest in 1984.

Thornton's leadership was instrumental as vice-captain for three years, and he captained the side in 12 matches. Among these, the most memorable was the famous 1986 elimination final victory over Essendon, a testament to his skill and determination.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 070941.jpg
Former Fitzroy player and Brisbane Lions Club Director, Ross Thornton, died at 67 after battling cancer. Credits: Instagram / Fitzroy Football Club

His contributions to the club extended beyond his playing days. After winning the 1989 reserves premiership in his final season, Thornton transitioned into roles as an assistant coach and team manager, continuing to serve the club until the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions merger.

Andrew Wellington, the Lions Chair, spoke highly of Thornton's impact, noting his critical role in strengthening the club's engagement with the Fitzroy community.

‘Ross remained an avid supporter of the Brisbane Lions post-merger while forging a successful professional career with McDonald’s from 1998, before being elected to the board in December 2014,’ he said.

‘A recognisable voice and face for our Melbourne-based members and supporters, Ross has since played a critical role in strengthening our engagement and relationship with the Fitzroy community—while his astute football acumen has also proven a valuable asset to our club.’

‘Ross was a proud Fitzroy man who passionately embraced the Brisbane Lions,’ he continued.

‘He made a significant contribution to our club as a player, administrator, and assistant coach over a long period of time and was a much-loved member of our Lions family.’

‘He was a popular figure who made an impression on every person he met and will be sorely missed by all,’ Wellington added.

The Brisbane Lions, who played on Thursday night, also paid a formal tribute to Thornton at the subsequent Sunday's home game against Gold Coast.

The Fitzroy Football Club, where Thornton's football journey began, also paid homage to the 'star defender', calling him one of the club's legends.

The club stated, ‘We are very sad to hear of the passing of champion Fitzroy player Ross Thornton. '

‘A wonderful person off the ground, Ross was always happy to talk to Fitzroy supporters and was a very popular figure at club functions.’

‘On behalf of the board, club members, players and supporters we send our love and condolences to the Thornton family.’

‘FFC players will wear black armbands in memory of Ross on Saturday,’ they wrote on Thursday.

‘Rest in Peace champion Royboy.’

Ross Thornton is survived by his wife Denise and children Callan, Tarryn, and Jessica.

His life was rich and varied, as evidenced by his 2012 appearance on Channel 7's The Amazing Race Australia alongside his daughter Tarryn, a state-level basketball player.

‘When I played footy it was all about winning. Second best was not good enough,’ Thornton said at the time.

‘I’m 55 now, still fit and only a couple of kilos heavier than my playing weight. I want to prove I’ve still got it.’

‘I’m sure there will be disagreements (between us). Tarryn thinks she knows best. But I know I know best! I fear nothing except what might come out of my daughter’s mouth,’ he added.
Key Takeaways
  • Ross Thornton, former Fitzroy player and Brisbane Lions Club Director, has passed away at the age of 67 after a battle with cancer.
  • He was a key figure in Fitzroy's success during the 1980s, playing 146 games and winning the best and fairest in 1984.
  • After his playing career, Thornton continued to contribute to the club as an assistant coach, team manager, and board member after Fitzroy's merger with the Brisbane Lions.
  • His passing deeply affected the Brisbane Lions and Fitzroy community, who will remember him not only for his sporting achievements but also for his engagement with fans and his significant role within the club.
Our heartfelt condolences go out to Ross Thornton’s family and friends during this difficult time.

Rest in peace, Ross Thornton, a true champion of the game and a cherished member of the Lions family.

As we reflect on Thornton's contributions to Australian sports, we invite our readers to share their memories and tributes to this remarkable player and individual.

Sponsored
A lot of over-the-top headlines here. Devastating battle with cancer? Why was his battle any more devastating than any other Aussie? Just because he was a footballer (never heard of him in that field either) we make it sound worse for him to have cancer than for any other Aussie.

A lot of over-the-top headlines here. Devastating battle with cancer? Why was his battle any more devastating than any other Aussie? Just because he was a footballer (never heard of him in that field either) we make it sound worse for him to have cancer than for any other Aussie.
I was going to reply then decided it was not worthy of a comment. How many others in the world have you never heard of.

Reactions: VK2LEE
All cancer is devastating to the person and family it is affecting at the time - his is no less or more than anyone else’s, however it is stil devastating for them and those that did know him in his sporting circles and 67 is way too young
I’ve never heard of him either but that’s because I don’t follow sports much.
Does that mean he shouldn’t be mentioned because I and others on this platform haven’t heard of him? Seriously!! 😐

All cancer is devastating to the person and family it is affecting at the time - his is no less or more than anyone else’s, however it is stil devastating for them and those that did know him in his sporting circles and 67 is way too young
I’ve never heard of him either but that’s because I don’t follow sports much.
Does that mean he shouldn’t be mentioned because I and others on this platform haven’t heard of him? Seriously!! 😐