Bring Back Memories with this Delicious Blast From The Past: Space Food Sticks!

Ah, the good old days… There really is something special about a little nostalgia that never fails to make us feel a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Do you have fond memories of a beloved snack of days past? Growing up, we all had our favourite treats. Some are classics that we’ll always hold dear, while others may have come and gone, but we’ll always remember them fondly.

And when it comes to iconic snacks, it would be hard to go past Nestlé’s Space Food Sticks.

For many Australians, the beloved Space Food Sticks were a highlight of childhood (and adulthood too!).

Interestingly, the treat is still causing intrigue today. Gracing the popular Facebook group 'Old Shops Australia', a user shared about how Space Food Sticks were her favourite snack growing up.

'My favourite snack food. Who remembers Space Food Sticks?' they wrote along with a screenshot of the treat's advertisement.

78bce60f9d0acfbed1b0cf05464df790.jpg

Many people remembered the treat as their go-to snack when they were in school. Credit: Nestle/Facebook.

The post then created a flurry of responses. Some commented how they 'wish they’d bring them back'.

'Yes, wish they would bring them back love love love them' another said.

A third chimed in: 'Loved them, what a mistake they made to stop making them.'

Some users even suggested a petition to bring the treats back to the market. You can read more information and participate in the petition here.

Others took the opportunity to share their favourite flavours of the treat, with one person writing: 'The chocolate flavour was the best.'

'Loved them, especially the caramel,' another said.

One user, in particular, shared a really interesting insight - noting that the product came about not long after the Apollo 11 mission of 1969.

They shared: 'My mum had them when she was young too in the 70s!'

'She was born in 69 not long after the Apollo 11 moon landing which these were “inspired by”. Mum remembers the original Aus White Wings versions.'

Space Food Sticks were first invented in 1968 by the Pillsbury Company and were sold as a 'space age' snack to celebrate the first moon landing.

The original recipe contained a combination of whole wheat flour, whey, soy proteins, skim milk, and vegetable oils, along with smaller amounts of sugar and corn syrup.

It was marketed as a high-energy snack that could withstand temperatures from -45 to 300°F, was easy to eat and was ready to go for astronauts on their missions. The treat came in three different flavours: chocolate, caramel and peanut butter.

It was first made available in Australia by White Wings. However, in 1987, Nestlé acquired the production of Space Food Sticks.

In later years, as competition in the snack food industry increased, it was eventually decided by Nestlé that the Space Food Sticks no longer made financial sense, and they were phased out in 2014.

Not everybody was a fan though, with one user recalling that they used to 'swap [them] with kids at school for something else'.

Another user suggested that a different product tasted just like Space Food Sticks, writing: 'Nutriway chocolate protein bars taste identical to the chocolate ones!'

nut_268280A_1_pt_fudgy_brownie_Product_588Wx588H

Some users said that the Nutriway chocolate protein bar tastes similar to the Space Food Sticks. Credit: Amway Australia.

Sadly, it seems Nestlé has no plans to bring back this classic treat, with many users pointing to issues with production and competition.

One user pointed out: 'Nestlé was bleeding money in the last decade they were sold cause they were constantly on sale.'

'Now they refuse to remake them cause of the high cost of the machinery, ingredients and the current competition in protein-based products as these were early versions of protein bars.'

Another backed the claim, saying: 'Nestlé has deleted them completely and refuses to bring them back because of expense and too much competition.'

Key Takeaways

• Space Food Sticks were an iconic old-school snack.
  • Many people shared fond memories of the treat on social media and some even started a petition to bring it back to the market.
  • Fans of the treat commented on the different flavours that were available such as chocolate and caramel.
  • Unfortunately, Nestlé seem to have no plans to bring back Space Food Sticks due to the competition in protein-based products and the expenses associated with production.

There you have it folks! Do you have fond memories of Space Food Sticks? What was your favourite flavour? Also, what snacks do you think are worth reviving? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Sponsored
Ah, the good old days… There really is something special about a little nostalgia that never fails to make us feel a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Do you have fond memories of a beloved snack of days past? Growing up, we all had our favourite treats. Some are classics that we’ll always hold dear, while others may have come and gone, but we’ll always remember them fondly.

And when it comes to iconic snacks, it would be hard to go past Nestlé’s Space Food Sticks.

For many Australians, the beloved Space Food Sticks were a highlight of childhood (and adulthood too!).

Interestingly, the treat is still causing intrigue today. Gracing the popular Facebook group 'Old Shops Australia', a user shared about how Space Food Sticks were her favourite snack growing up.

'My favourite snack food. Who remembers Space Food Sticks?' they wrote along with a screenshot of the treat's advertisement.

Many people remembered the treat as their go-to snack when they were in school. Credit: Nestle/Facebook.

The post then created a flurry of responses. Some commented how they 'wish they’d bring them back'.

Some users even suggested a petition to bring the treats back to the market. You can read more information and participate in the petition here.

Others took the opportunity to share their favourite flavours of the treat, with one person writing: 'The chocolate flavour was the best.'

One user, in particular, shared a really interesting insight - noting that the product came about not long after the Apollo 11 mission of 1969.

'She was born in 69 not long after the Apollo 11 moon landing which these were “inspired by”. Mum remembers the original Aus White Wings versions.'

Space Food Sticks were first invented in 1968 by the Pillsbury Company and were sold as a 'space age' snack to celebrate the first moon landing.

The original recipe contained a combination of whole wheat flour, whey, soy proteins, skim milk, and vegetable oils, along with smaller amounts of sugar and corn syrup.

It was marketed as a high-energy snack that could withstand temperatures from -45 to 300°F, was easy to eat and was ready to go for astronauts on their missions. The treat came in three different flavours: chocolate, caramel and peanut butter.

It was first made available in Australia by White Wings. However, in 1987, Nestlé acquired the production of Space Food Sticks.

In later years, as competition in the snack food industry increased, it was eventually decided by Nestlé that the Space Food Sticks no longer made financial sense, and they were phased out in 2014.

Not everybody was a fan though, with one user recalling that they used to 'swap [them] with kids at school for something else'.

Another user suggested that a different product tasted just like Space Food Sticks, writing: 'Nutriway chocolate protein bars taste identical to the chocolate ones!'

Some users said that the Nutriway chocolate protein bar tastes similar to the Space Food Sticks. Credit: Amway Australia.

Sadly, it seems Nestlé has no plans to bring back this classic treat, with many users pointing to issues with production and competition.

One user pointed out: 'Nestlé was bleeding money in the last decade they were sold cause they were constantly on sale.'

'Now they refuse to remake them cause of the high cost of the machinery, ingredients and the current competition in protein-based products as these were early versions of protein bars.'

Another backed the claim, saying: 'Nestlé has deleted them completely and refuses to bring them back because of expense and too much competition.'

Key Takeaways

• Many people shared fond memories of the treat on social media and some even started a petition to bring it back to the market.
  • Fans of the treat commented on the different flavours that were available such as chocolate and caramel.
  • Unfortunately, Nestlé seem to have no plans to bring back Space Food Sticks due to the competition in protein-based products and the expenses associated with production.

There you have it folks! Do you have fond memories of Space Food Sticks? What was your favourite flavour? Also, what snacks do you think are worth reviving? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

I don’t remember space bars at all and I was born in 1959. Gosh. I thought I knew them all lol! I miss Polly waffles! So much. I’d sell my first born child for a Polly waffle *sigh*. And my hubby. And my second born. And the dog…….

I don’t remember space bars at all and I was born in 1959. Gosh. I thought I knew them all lol! I miss Polly waffles! So much. I’d sell my first born child for a Polly waffle *sigh*. And my hubby. And my second born. And the dog…….
I remember you couldn't get Polly waffles in Qld, so when I visited my family in Vic, my dad would buy me Polly waffles every single day.

Space food sticks - Yum. These were around in the 70's - I remember buying them for my son at boarding school. Saw them not so long ago in Coles in Qld. Will have to check if they still have them.
Poly waffles - Yum!

Key Takeaways

I never tried one of those but I was getting excited reading the headline, thinking you were talking about Polly Waffles!🎉😋😋

Can't remember space food sticks. But loved polly waffles & triple treats ice cream, bring both of those back

LOVE POLLY WAFFLES SO MUCH.