SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Bride's wedding cake disaster goes viral: 'I want to cry'

When it comes to planning a wedding, there are so many important details to take care of – and the cake is definitely one of them. After all, what would a wedding be without cutting into a beautiful (and delicious!) tiered cake with your new partner?

But sometimes, even when everything is planned and organised perfectly, things can still go wrong – as one unlucky bride recently found out…

Sharing her story on the popular website Reddit, the woman said that her mother had put 'pressure' on her to purchase her wedding cake from one of her mum's friends who was supposedly a 'professional baker'. However, when she received a photo of the trial version of the cake, she was horrified at the outcome.

‘They just sent me this photo of the trial. Suffice to say it’s not what I ordered,’ the bride wrote, alongside a photo of let’s just say a cake that looks like my goddaughter (who is six months old) iced, if you don’t believe me, take a look at the photo of it below.

Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 3.24.22 pm.png
The Bride’s Wedding cake. Image source: Reddit.

Now, I know it wasn’t very nice when I said my goddaughter could probably ice this cake better, but Reddit users haven’t been much nicer, with some describing the cake as a ‘monstrosity’, ‘horrible’ and ‘wonky’.

According to the bride, she has had many wedding ‘disasters’ pan out over the past few weeks, including ‘dress disasters, venue changes, and it looks like it’ll be raining [on the wedding day]’ but this one is by far the worst of all. You might even say this one ‘takes the cake’ (sorry, I had to).

She went on to explain, ‘I wanted a two-tier naked cake and I got a deformed hat,’ she wrote sadly. ‘I managed to get my mum to admit that her friend isn’t really a professional — this is literally boxed cake mix and premade icing. She thinks it’ll look fine when we add flowers.’

She explained to other Reddit users that she wanted a ‘white naked cake with lemon curd filling’, and because the wedding is located in the Blue Mountains in NSW, there are no nearby cake shop options available with this short notice. ‘To be honest I’m kind of freaking out. I’m going to call around a bunch of bakeries today to work out what to do — I haven’t replied to my mum who sent me the photo because I can’t think of anything to say other than “what the f***”.’

As you can imagine, Reddit users were sharing their opinions and offering up advice left, right and centre.

‘Refuse to accept them as your baker. You were promised professional standards and this looks horrific. I would be embarrassed to serve this to friends at home and I’m rubbish at baking,’ one person wrote.

‘You’re the one getting married! You should be the one to pass judgement on what your cake will be. I’m sorry you’re being pressured like this!’ a second chimed in.
‘Your mum was being ridiculous. Did she think that her friend’s cakes would be SO good that you couldn’t tell the difference between a professional wedding cake and a lovely but wonky and ugly cake made at home with love?’ asked another.

The bride came back to the original Reddit post and gave us all an update on her situation. ‘I just called mum and I want to cry. She’s doubling down. She keeps insisting it’ll look fine on the second attempt and with some fake flowers. It’s a public holiday where the wedding is, so everything is shut and I can’t even call a bakery to organise another option.’

Thankfully, there are some good people out in the Blue Mountains where the wedding will be held, with users jumping into action mode to help the bride offering up different bakeries to try and even helping the bride make plans to purchase a brand new, beautiful cake.

So what do you think of this, members? What would you do if you were in this situation? Is the bride being unreasonable, or is her mother? We’d love to hear from you!

At the moment, it is a diabolical catastrophe for the poor bride. She has her own ideals and expectations for her wedding, and a botched-up cake as a centrepiece on the wedding breakfast table isn't on her list.
I can well understand the height of the drama she feels.
If there are some decent friends to take over, all will be well.
I just wish her well, and understand her frustration.

Reactions: Ezzy and Macarj
What they were trying to create was a nude cake.
No she wasn't being unreasonable.

I would have added flowers

Below is a hot pink cake that my daughter stuffed up and I fixed , it was for a bridal shower

View attachment 8343

And the white one I did for her baby showerView attachment 8344
Beautiful cakes. Congratulations for your skill.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
For the last 2 years l have been enjoying cakes & biscuits made by my granddaughter who recently turned 14 & she has it all over this cake hands down.

My reply to my mother if l were the bride would be, 'Thanks, but no thanks!'

Fabulous that she has had offers of help with her cake from readers.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
It makes me think if this is actually real because the cake is that bad or was it posted on social media to draw attention.

What I noticed there was no cake board under the cake, all cake shops / makers place the cake on a board , even I have boards that I use most of the time.

The cake was place on a cake plate that usually the buyer needs to place the cake on and I can guarantee the cake would have crumbled if it was transfered from a cake board to the plate.

This is a naked cake which I feel they were trying to make

I can't believe any cake maker who gets paid to make cakes actually did this one.
My 5 year old granddaughter could do better.

Screenshot_20221104-070531_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy