TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
Bride's big day takes an unexpected turn when she goes into labour on her WEDDING DAY

Bride's big day takes an unexpected turn when she goes into labour on her WEDDING DAY
Whenever invited to a wedding, you overthink things: What dress should you wear? Which colour in the colour scheme provided should you go for? What kind of gift should you give?

This bride's anxieties were vanquished almost immediately as the couple's best "gift" surprised them by arriving four weeks ahead of schedule. The couple's little one decided to gatecrash the wedding on the day itself, making it a memorable day for the couple to celebrate.

1.jpg
Source: Daily Mail

Rebecca Macmillan noticed she was going into labour merely a few hours before tying the knot with her partner of five years, Nick Cheetham, and quickly drove herself to the hospital. The couple was supposedly going to have their wedding at Gartmore Village Hall in Stirlingshire.

'Every bride wants a memorable wedding day, and Rory has made ours more memorable than most.' she said once she had given birth to their little one: Rory Cheetham. 'We ended up not getting married, but we have the most beautiful baby boy instead.'

Her partner, a former wedding planner \and competency manager, said they were considering postponing the wedding since it was amidst the pandemic but eventually concluded that life is too short and just took a shot at it.

'When I was a wedding planner, I didn't ever work with a pregnant bride. I think most people aren't mad enough to get married while heavily pregnant.' Nick said, 'We joked about our baby arriving on our wedding day - never actually believing it would happen.'

Rebecca said that the marriage was planned even before the couple learned about the pregnancy and said the situation led to some alterations.

'I had to buy a new wedding dress - four sizes too big for me - as my original dress was tiny. My hen weekend plans had to be designed around my pregnancy, but we still had a wonderful time in Portpatrick,' Rebecca said, 'But other than that, I was a bit naïve and believed it would all be fine and I'd be rocking out on the wedding dance floor.'

2.jpg

Before the day of the wedding, Rebecca admitted that she was garnering some anxiety that the baby may arrive earlier than expected while decorating the hall where the reception was to be held.

'I woke on Friday feeling good. In the afternoon, we set up the hall. Our mums went to work making table arrangements, the bar was set up, and we set all our chairs out, ready for the ceremony. Things were looking great, and there was a lovely buzz, but I didn't feel right. By the time the evening came, I was paranoid, so I called the midwife.' she said, 'She assessed me and said my symptoms were OK and I should be fine. We had a pre-wedding dinner with our parents. Then I went to bed for an early night at a B&B whilst Nick stayed at a nearby hotel.'

When she woke up the next day, Rebecca was shocked. Her waters had broken, and she called her future husband, informing him about the situation before she got up and drove herself to the hospital.

While Nick took the initiative to contact their wedding suppliers to cancel the event, their families then got all their friends and family to inform them.

'Our family and friends gathered at the venue to start dismantling the wedding - collecting my dress, decorations, jewellery, the cake, putting it all back in storage for the next big day.' Rebecca said, 'Everyone was excited for us, which was lovely. Some people thought it was a wind-up.'

However, Rory started to show complications throughout the birth as the medics noticed a worrying dip in his heartbeat every time that Rebecca would experience a contraction. Eventually, they decided to rush her to surgery for an emergency caesarean. Rory Ian William Cheetham was introduced to the world at 11:40 AM, weighing 2.35 kg.

3.jpg

"All the hospital staff have been so kind and absolutely amazing. The nurses and midwives knew our story and told us how sorry they were about the wedding.' Rebecca said.

Nick, however, had different experiences on the matter.

'When I heard the chap on my hotel door on our wedding day morning, at first I thought I'd slept in for the wedding. When I looked at the time and saw it was 3:30 AM, I knew straight away what it was.' he said, 'We feel so very lucky to have Rory - and our amazing family and friends who got stuck in dismantling our wedding set-up and contacting our guests.'

Postponing their wedding cost the couple a massive $18,000 (AUD), but they hope to go ahead with their big day sometime in the future.

What would you do in this situation? Would you have reacted the same way if you were in their shoes? Let us know all about it in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
I certainly would not have planned a Wedding so close to due date especially now that they have lost $18,000. Anything could happened as it did for them. Why couldn’t they have waited until after the baby arrived? What was the hurry?
Anyway Congratulations to them, a beautiful baby to love.

Reactions: Ricci