SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Bride under fire after asking guests to PAY to attend her wedding. Who is in the wrong?

We’ve all been to a fair few weddings in our time, and whether we enjoyed them or not, there’s one thing we can all agree on – they’re not cheap.

From the food and drink to the dress and venue, weddings are notorious money-sinks, and often leave the happy couple in quite a bit of debt.

Of course, it’s the bride and groom’s big day and they should be able to spend their money how they like. But can couples sometimes go a bit too far in their quest to save a few bucks?

Take this bride, for example, who was recently criticised by her sister for charging guests money to attend her wedding ceremony.

The woman, who is 23, took to Reddit to share her story and ask users for their opinion on the matter.

In her post, the bride wrote that she and her fiancé were planning a small, intimate wedding with only 20 guests. For their venue, they had chosen a beautiful canyon that required a $10 access fee.

DALL·E 2022-09-07 10.35.07 - Bride in wedding dress counting her money, digital art.png
The internet was divided about whether it was appropriate to ask guests to 'pay' to attend her wedding. Source: OpenAI.

To help cover the cost, the couple decided to ask guests to pay the fee as part of their wedding invitation. However, after receiving her invite, the bride’s sister called her up in a rage, criticising her for being a 'cheapskate'.

The sister argued that there were plenty of other canyons that wouldn’t have required a fee and that the bride was being unreasonable in expecting guests to pay.

The fight continued as the sister nitpicked every aspect of the wedding plans, from the ceremony location to the size of the guest list, before finally hanging up the phone.

The bride ended her post by asking Reddit users if she was in the wrong, and whether or not she should expect to pay the fee herself.

Needless to say, the post sparked a heated debate in the comments section, with people from all over the world chiming in with their two cents.

Some users were quick to side with the sister, saying that the bride was being unreasonable and that there were plenty of other ways she could have covered the cost.

'If you don’t want to pay $200 for your venue (what covering the “canyon fee” for all the guests would cost), then find a different venue,' wrote one user.

Another suggested that the bride could have designated a friend to pay the fee for guests at the canyon entrance, while others said she could have simply included a $10 note with the invitations.

Many readers didn’t really have an issue with the fee.

'It’s awkward but they may have never planned an event before. I’d go. I’d pay $10 to get in. It’s not a weird wedding ticket fee – events in cities have paid parking all the time,' one user wrote in defence of the bride.

'The $10 fee to me is no big deal to enter a park. I’ve paid more to park at weddings,' added another.

However, most people took issue not with the $10 fee, but with the fact that the bride had posted her wedding registry on social media for people who weren’t even invited to the wedding.

'Having a registry still would be fine but plastering it everywhere to people you didn’t invite to the reception is tacky as hell,' one user commented.

'I died at the posting her registry on social media to all the people who were not invited. That’s ballsy,' wrote another.

'That’s tacky… just plain tacky,' added a third.

What do you think, members? Would you be happy to pay a $10 fee to attend a friend or family member’s wedding, or do you think the bride was in the wrong? How about sending a link to your wedding registry page to people you didn’t invite? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: APapaz
We’ve all been to a fair few weddings in our time, and whether we enjoyed them or not, there’s one thing we can all agree on – they’re not cheap.

From the food and drink to the dress and venue, weddings are notorious money-sinks, and often leave the happy couple in quite a bit of debt.

Of course, it’s the bride and groom’s big day and they should be able to spend their money how they like. But can couples sometimes go a bit too far in their quest to save a few bucks?

Take this bride, for example, who was recently criticised by her sister for charging guests money to attend her wedding ceremony.

The woman, who is 23, took to Reddit to share her story and ask users for their opinion on the matter.

In her post, the bride wrote that she and her fiancé were planning a small, intimate wedding with only 20 guests. For their venue, they had chosen a beautiful canyon that required a $10 access fee.

View attachment 5782
The internet was divided about whether it was appropriate to ask guests to 'pay' to attend her wedding. Source: OpenAI.

To help cover the cost, the couple decided to ask guests to pay the fee as part of their wedding invitation. However, after receiving her invite, the bride’s sister called her up in a rage, criticising her for being a 'cheapskate'.

The sister argued that there were plenty of other canyons that wouldn’t have required a fee and that the bride was being unreasonable in expecting guests to pay.

The fight continued as the sister nitpicked every aspect of the wedding plans, from the ceremony location to the size of the guest list, before finally hanging up the phone.

The bride ended her post by asking Reddit users if she was in the wrong, and whether or not she should expect to pay the fee herself.

Needless to say, the post sparked a heated debate in the comments section, with people from all over the world chiming in with their two cents.

Some users were quick to side with the sister, saying that the bride was being unreasonable and that there were plenty of other ways she could have covered the cost.

'If you don’t want to pay $200 for your venue (what covering the “canyon fee” for all the guests would cost), then find a different venue,' wrote one user.

Another suggested that the bride could have designated a friend to pay the fee for guests at the canyon entrance, while others said she could have simply included a $10 note with the invitations.

'It’s awkward but they may have never planned an event before. I’d go. I’d pay $10 to get in. It’s not a weird wedding ticket fee – events in cities have paid parking all the time,' one user wrote in defence of the bride.

'The $10 fee to me is no big deal to enter a park. I’ve paid more to park at weddings,' added another.

However, most people took issue not with the $10 fee, but with the fact that the bride had posted her wedding registry on social media for people who weren’t even invited to the wedding.

'Having a registry still would be fine but plastering it everywhere to people you didn’t invite to the reception is tacky as hell,' one user commented.

'I died at the posting her registry on social media to all the people who were not invited. That’s ballsy,' wrote another.

What do you think, members? Would you be happy to pay a $10 fee to attend a friend or family member’s wedding, or do you think the bride was in the wrong? How about sending a link to your wedding registry page to people you didn’t invite? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
If it makes the Bride Happy I'm happy.... Weddings certainly are costly and it all adds up... The Sister should shut her winjing whining big trap! Not her wedding....

• Haha
Reactions: alice888
I gave a party for my hubby's BIG birthday bash, and said instead of a gift bring a platter of food. The guests were more than happy to do so. Maybe she should have worded the invite differently.

Reactions: alice888

View attachment 5782

If you dont wont to pay ! DONT GO .. Easy