Brewing controversy: Aussie mum's café experience questions queue etiquette

Amidst the lively ambience of Point Cook in Victoria’s Bean Smuggler café, a seemingly ordinary day took a turn that sparked an online debate. Jacqueline Fauvel, an Aussie mum found herself at the heart of it.​

Fauvel, while waiting in line for 15 minutes with her baby in tow, watched as a contingent of on-duty firefighters entered the scene, only to swiftly depart due to the extensive line ahead.

The scene struck Fauvel, prompting her to share her thoughts online. She expressed a sentiment: Our emergency service workers might deserve a moment of kindness. Such as being allowed to cut in line for a simple coffee break.

‘That makes me so sad because I assume they have a short time for a break, and then they have to go off and be available at all times in case there’s a fire,’ Fauvel said in a video she recorded after the encounter.

pasted image 0 (7).png
Jacqueline Fauvel advocates for increased appreciation towards first responders in her video. Credit: Social Media/@jacquelinefauvel

‘I feel like people should just automatically let them in front. They work so hard, and all they want is bloody coffee.’ Fauvel continued.

Her social media video post quickly became a hotbed of opinions. Many rallied to the cause, agreeing that firefighters, paramedics, and other emergency service personnel are heroes who deserve this small gesture of appreciation.

Yet, the conversation also unearthed a counter-narrative. Some pointed out that firefighters often enjoy comfortable pay and working conditions, with the implication that they may not always be as pressed for time as one might think.

Senior firefighter Dan Spooner from Darlinghurst Fire Station in Sydney voiced his opinion, providing a glimpse into the reality of their work lives.

‘We do not get any breaks,’ he said.

When you’re on duty, you’re on duty. If you go to the coffee shop, you could be waiting in line, and an emergency call will go off, and we will leave the coffee we bought. But we would never go up the coffee line or expect anyone to let us.’ Spooner expanded.

With 26 years of service under his belt, Spooner painted a picture of unpredictability and constant readiness.

‘We have slow nights where we get to recline. But you don’t get a good night’s sleep.’

‘It’s not like sleeping when you go to bed at home; it’s interrupted sleep as you’re always on edge—a garbage truck drives past and you’ve woken up.’ Spooner explained.

shutterstock_1950018787_720.jpg
Firefighters face extended shifts. They are required to be on standby for emergencies as they arise. Credit: Shutterstock

Opinions on Fauvel's video continue to be diverse, with a lot of mixed comments.

One individual expressed, 'I always let any emergency service personnel in front; sometimes I get glares from others behind me, but I don’t care'.

Another commentator remarked, 'As paramedics, we do not ever expect others to let us in front. Mums probably need coffee more than we do! '

However, some argue that firefighters have ample free time. 'My brother is and has been for 37 years as a firie, and he’ll be the first to tell you what a cushy deal their working conditions are'.

A New South Wales Police spokesperson weighed in on how officers are allotted 30-minute meal breaks, but due to operational demands, these breaks could occur at any time during the day, and occasionally they might not get one at all.

Regarding the issue of cutting ahead in the coffee line, the spokesperson emphasised ‘If someone is kind enough to stop to ask, then great, but we do not seek any preferential treatment’.

The debate is not just about coffee or queue etiquette; it's about how we recognise those who serve our community in the most critical moments. Red Rooster recently showed support by offering a discount on their menu to our first responders.

Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie mum sparked debate on whether firefighters should be allowed to cut in queues at cafes due to their limited break times and the urgency of their work.
  • Many people expressed support for allowing emergency services to skip the line, while others debated whether it was necessary or highlighted that firefighters often have 'cushy' working conditions.
  • Senior firefighter Dan Spooner highlighted how on-duty firefighters do not get breaks and can be called away to emergencies at any moment, impacting their meal times and rest.
  • The NSW Police spokesperson noted that officers do not seek preferential treatment when it comes to line queuing, but appreciate it if someone offers to let them skip ahead.

Have you ever let a firefighter or another emergency worker cut in line? Would you? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Absolutely I would allow the people who are there to "serve" us and keep us safe, go ahead of me. I had a lifesaving incident 18 months ago. I don't know what the paramedics were doing when they were called, perhaps waiting for a coffee? But that that is neither here nor there. They attended within 5 minutes of my neighbour calling them! I have nothing but praise and respect for all emergency services, even the ones who volunteer their services, eg the CFS and St John.

Our local fire fighters and ambos are all volunteers. For sure I would let them go to the front of the queue anywhere if in uniform. I'm told that they still get paid at their normal job even when they take time off to answer call outs. However they are often called out outside their working hours so Ambos do not get paid to sit on a ramp outside a hospital with a patient until they can get in to hand over, firefighters don't get paid to be out all night saving properties from fire. Why wouldn't we salute these awesome people by letting them jump the queue and better still chip in some money for their meal and drinks.

Some of those emergency service staff many not get anything to eat or drink for their whole shift if they aren't served quickly enough. In hot weather it can be difficult to keep food cold for the whole day if they have a lot of call-outs. Their vehicles are sometimes out in the sun the whole day. If they are in & out of their vehicles constantly their airconditioning sometimes isn't very effective. Unless they have plenty of space it is difficult to keep moving their cooler bags etc in the shade in their vehicles. I know that some Ambulance crews grab biscuits and cold water in waiting rooms in hospitals while filling in patient reports

Reactions: Sylvsptr
I like the American idea that there is a jar where you drop in some coins to pay it forward - I would like the jar to say for first responders.