Breaking News: Sandy Roberts, legendary AFL commentator, shares his battle with incurable blood cancer

We at the Seniors Discount Club are huge fans of AFL, and we've spent countless hours glued to our television screens, listening to the legendary voice of Sandy Roberts as he commented on some of our favourite games. So, it's with a heavy heart that we break the sad news that Sandy Roberts has revealed his battle with incurable blood cancer, myeloma.

For those unfamiliar with Sandy Roberts, he is a true icon of Australian Rules Football, having called more than 1100 games throughout his impressive 46-year career with Channel Seven. At 73 years old, he has continued to be a prominent face of footy even after his retirement in 2019, making his heartbreaking announcement all the more shocking to his loyal fans.

1684197785711.png
Legendary AFL Footy Commentator, Sandy Roberts. Source: Herald Sun

Sandy discovered he had myeloma in May 2022 after a fall at home. Speaking to the Herald Sun, he said, 'I ended up in the hospital and was told I didn't have any broken bones or internal injuries, but that I did have cancer. Just like that, we had no idea. If I hadn't fallen, who knows what would have been the outcome.'

Myeloma is a rare blood cancer that develops from plasma cells in the bone marrow. Abnormal cells from cancer then spread throughout the marrow, leaving the body struggling to make normal blood cells. Consequently, people who have the disease suffer from a weakened immune system, damaged bones, frequent infections, and kidney problems. Unfortunately, myeloma is one of the few cancers that modern medicine cannot entirely cure.

Before the diagnosis, Sandy first knew something was wrong in February 2022 as he frequently became short of breath—initially, he thought it was a heart-related issue. Just a few months earlier, he had undergone open-heart surgery and had been feeling good following that procedure.

Now, after keeping the devastating diagnosis a secret for a year, Sandy is speaking out and fronting a campaign to raise awareness about myeloma. 'Almost 30 per cent of sufferers die within 18 months of being diagnosed,' he said, emphasising the severity of the disease, which doctors treated using chemotherapy.

Sandy's wife, Carolyn, shared the emotional strain that the illness had put on both of them. 'Sometimes you want to fall into a hole; you definitely do,' she said. 'There were times when I'd go into the bedroom and cry, and I'm sure Sandy did the same, but you've got to keep going.'

With his ever-present determination and hope, Sandy is optimistic that there is good news on the horizon for all those battling myeloma.

'Experts within Myeloma Australia and around the world are saying that a cure is very close—so fingers crossed it's really close,' he said.

The Importance of Early Detection and Diagnosis in Myeloma Treatment​

The importance of early detection and diagnosis in myeloma treatment cannot be overstated. Doctors believe early detection and diagnosis of myeloma are crucial to increasing the life expectancy of patients and increasing the success rates of their treatments. Early detection and diagnosis can help doctors quickly identify cancer cells, develop a plan of action, and start a treatment plan right away. As the plasma cells spread throughout your body, diagnosis becomes difficult, leading to further potential damage to your bones and other organs.

When symptoms of myeloma are present, a doctor or healthcare professional should be consulted to decide on the best course of action and to create a tailored treatment plan. Symptoms of myeloma may include bone pain, weakness, night sweats, extreme fatigue, ulcers, poor appetite and joint stiffness. If a patient is showing any of these symptoms, visiting a doctor for a diagnosis early on can help to limit the further spread of the cancer cells and to start the treatment process earlier.

It is also important for those who are in the at-risk categories of developing myeloma, such as those with a family history of cancer, to be aware of their risk and to be vigilant in regularly visiting their doctors and getting tested for the condition. Getting checked from time to time and undergoing tests related to myeloma will help in identifying it earlier and allow for more time for the treatment course to be more effective.

Early detection and diagnosis can mean the difference between life and death when it comes to myeloma, so it is extremely important for both patients and their families to be aware of the signs and symptoms of the condition and be ready to act should they notice any signs.

Key Takeaways
  • Sandy Roberts, a legendary AFL commentator, has revealed he has incurable blood cancer myeloma after keeping it a secret for a year.
  • Roberts first learned he had the disease after a fall at home in May 2022, leading to a shock diagnosis.
  • Myeloma is a rare blood cancer and is one of the few cancers that modern medicine cannot yet cure
  • Roberts is now speaking out about the condition as he fronts a campaign to raise awareness of myeloma.
We at Seniors Discount Club would like to thank Sandy Roberts for his years of dedication to the footy community and for bringing entertainment and passion to countless AFL fans. We send our heartfelt wishes for strength and courage as he faces this enormous health battle. Additionally, we encourage all our members to learn more about myeloma and join the fight for increased awareness by supporting Myeloma Australia.

Sponsored
We at the Seniors Discount Club are huge fans of AFL, and we've spent countless hours glued to our television screens, listening to the legendary voice of Sandy Roberts as he commented on some of our favourite games. So, it's with a heavy heart that we break the sad news that Sandy Roberts has revealed his battle with incurable blood cancer, myeloma.

For those unfamiliar with Sandy Roberts, he is a true icon of Australian Rules Football, having called more than 1100 games throughout his impressive 46-year career with Channel Seven. At 73 years old, he has continued to be a prominent face of footy even after his retirement in 2019, making his heartbreaking announcement all the more shocking to his loyal fans.

View attachment 19898

Sandy discovered he had myeloma in May 2022 after a fall at home. Speaking to the Herald Sun, he said, 'I ended up in the hospital and was told I didn't have any broken bones or internal injuries, but that I did have cancer. Just like that, we had no idea. If I hadn't fallen, who knows what would have been the outcome.'

Myeloma is a rare blood cancer that develops from plasma cells in the bone marrow. Abnormal cells from cancer then spread throughout the marrow, leaving the body struggling to make normal blood cells. Consequently, people who have the disease suffer from a weakened immune system, damaged bones, frequent infections, and kidney problems. Unfortunately, myeloma is one of the few cancers that modern medicine cannot entirely cure.

Before the diagnosis, Sandy first knew something was wrong in February 2022 as he frequently became short of breath—initially, he thought it was a heart-related issue. Just a few months earlier, he had undergone open-heart surgery and had been feeling good following that procedure.

Now, after keeping the devastating diagnosis a secret for a year, Sandy is speaking out and fronting a campaign to raise awareness about myeloma. 'Almost 30 per cent of sufferers die within 18 months of being diagnosed,' he said, emphasising the severity of the disease, which doctors treated using chemotherapy.

Sandy's wife, Carolyn, shared the emotional strain that the illness had put on both of them. 'Sometimes you want to fall into a hole; you definitely do,' she said. 'There were times when I'd go into the bedroom and cry, and I'm sure Sandy did the same, but you've got to keep going.'

With his ever-present determination and hope, Sandy is optimistic that there is good news on the horizon for all those battling myeloma.

'Experts within Myeloma Australia and around the world are saying that a cure is very close—so fingers crossed it's really close,' he said.

The importance of early detection and diagnosis in myeloma treatment cannot be overstated. Doctors believe early detection and diagnosis of myeloma are crucial to increasing the life expectancy of patients and increasing the success rates of their treatments. Early detection and diagnosis can help doctors quickly identify cancer cells, develop a plan of action, and start a treatment plan right away. As the plasma cells spread throughout your body, diagnosis becomes difficult, leading to further potential damage to your bones and other organs.

When symptoms of myeloma are present, a doctor or healthcare professional should be consulted to decide on the best course of action and to create a tailored treatment plan. Symptoms of myeloma may include bone pain, weakness, night sweats, extreme fatigue, ulcers, poor appetite and joint stiffness. If a patient is showing any of these symptoms, visiting a doctor for a diagnosis early on can help to limit the further spread of the cancer cells and to start the treatment process earlier.

It is also important for those who are in the at-risk categories of developing myeloma, such as those with a family history of cancer, to be aware of their risk and to be vigilant in regularly visiting their doctors and getting tested for the condition. Getting checked from time to time and undergoing tests related to myeloma will help in identifying it earlier and allow for more time for the treatment course to be more effective.

Early detection and diagnosis can mean the difference between life and death when it comes to myeloma, so it is extremely important for both patients and their families to be aware of the signs and symptoms of the condition and be ready to act should they notice any signs.

Key Takeaways

• Sandy Roberts, a legendary AFL commentator, has revealed he has incurable blood cancer myeloma after keeping it a secret for a year.
  • Roberts first learned he had the disease after a fall at home in May 2022, leading to a shock diagnosis.
  • Myeloma is a rare blood cancer and is one of the few cancers that modern medicine cannot yet cure
  • Roberts is now speaking out about the condition as he fronts a campaign to raise awareness of myeloma.
We at Seniors Discount Club would like to thank Sandy Roberts for his years of dedication to the footy community and for bringing entertainment and passion to countless AFL fans. We send our heartfelt wishes for strength and courage as he faces this enormous health battle. Additionally, we encourage all our members to learn more about myeloma and join the fight for increased awareness by supporting Myeloma Australia.
That is such a sad tjing to hear, my heartfelt thoughts & wishes get sent out to his family.

View attachment 19898

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Jarred Santos
"The importance of early detection and diagnosis in myeloma treatment cannot be overstated. Doctors believe early detection and diagnosis of myeloma are crucial"...
Why NOBODY is talking about what causes this disease? It used to be called PREVENTION!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 19898

Key Takeaways

If he wasn't who he was we wouldn't hear anything about, it was just as tragic for my 2 friends that passed away from cancer in this past week.