Breaking News: Australia loses beloved ‘Larrikin Priest’ Father Bob Maguire at 88

Australia is today mourning the loss of much-loved and widely-respected Catholic priest and social justice campaigner, Father Bob Maguire, who has passed away at the age of 88.

His foundation confirmed his death on Wednesday morning, leading tributes to come flooding in for the sometimes controversial Melbourne cleric known for his faith, social justice advocacy, and chief amongst all, his larrikin sense of humour.

shutterstock_1708069744.jpg
Iconic Melbourne priest, Father Bob Maguire stands in front of his community centre in Albert Park during the Coronavirus Crisis in Melbourne, Australia. Image source: Shutterstock.

Born in 1934 in the Melbourne suburb of Thornbury to Scottish immigrant parents, Father Bob entered the Catholic seminary in 1953. He would later recall being immediately struck by the conservative nature of some of the church’s methods and famously referred to the seminary as ‘the cemetery’.

After being ordained as a priest in 1960 at the age of 25, he joined the Army Reserve in 1965 during the Vietnam War.

From 1973 to 2012, he served as parish priest of Sts Peter and Paul’s Church in South Melbourne, until he was forced to retire at age 75 as a result of the Catholic Church’s rules.

Father Bob’s retirement in 2012 was marked by his final service at Sts Peter and Paul’s Church, with hundreds turning up to pay tribute.

Despite no longer being an active priest, Father Bob continued to retain a loyal following on social media and stayed true to his passion for social justice, taking over as chairman of the Father Bob Maguire Foundation - until just five days ago.

Labor MP Ged Kearney, who was amongst the first to pay tribute, said of the Loss: 'He was an unstoppable force; he never missed a beat fighting for social justice and community.'

Tasmanian Senator Helen Polley echoed these sentiments, calling Father Bob 'an Australian who gave so much to so many people. Always vocal and effective in improving the lives of some of our most marginalised'.

He was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 1989 for his service to homeless youth and named Victorian of the Year in 2011.

This afternoon, we honour the memory of a great man and invite our members to join us in passing on their wishes and condolences to Father Bob’s friends and family. His light will certainly be missed! Vale Father Bob, your legacy will live on forever.

Sponsored
Father Bob, to me was a forward thinker who saw his vocation to the people of his parish and beyond as being one of compassion and social justice mixed with relevance of todays society issues.
He never shirked giving of himself to those who needed a voice, particularly those whom others woul easily turn their backs on.
Rest in Peace dear Bob, your good deeds go with you.
🇦🇺👍

Father Bob’s retirement in 2012 was marked by his final service at Sts Peter and Paul’s Church, with hundreds turning up to pay tribute.

Despite no longer being an active priest, Father Bob continued to retain a loyal following on social media and stayed true to his passion for social justice, taking over as chairman of the Father Bob Maguire Foundation - until just five days ago.

Labor MP Ged Kearney, who was amongst the first to pay tribute, said of the Loss: 'He was an unstoppable force; he never missed a beat fighting for social justice and community.'

Tasmanian Senator Helen Polley echoed these sentiments, calling Father Bob 'an Australian who gave so much to so many people. Always vocal and effective in improving the lives of some of our most marginalised'.

He was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 1989 for his service to homeless youth and named Victorian of the Year in 2011.

This afternoon, we honour the memory of a great man and invite our members to join us in passing on their wishes and condolences to Father Bob’s friends and family. His light will certainly be missed! Vale Father Bob, your legacy will live on forever.

Last edited:
RIP. I hope that they have a state funeral for Father Bob. Looks like that this may happen as on nightly news that the Victorian Premiere has Father Bob's family to discuss how Victorians and Australians can show respect to him.

People may pick up that I do not want a funeral for myself but there are exceptional people like this gentleman. It's certainly about him.

Last edited:
Father Bob, if there ever was a person I wanted to meet it was you. You are going to be missed by so many people of all walks, colors, religions & even comics. Your mischievous face will be long remembered & your straightforwardness was such an asset to thousands of people. You were so strong, honest & always spoke your mind irrespective. Dare I say that it is a known fact to have had your preaching ceased @ 75 was/is disgusting. Rules CAN be adjusted very quickly for people who love their Church life, their Priests & the ones who simply love the mission you ceaselessly tracked every week of your life.
God bless you Father Bob, & seeing I am much older than you, I can safely say "I'll meet you soon" so look out for me. I can only hope I've earned my points.

Although I didn't know him personally Father Bob officiated at the weddings of 3 close friends and the funerals of 2 others over the years. I remember at the last funeral in 2011, when the congregation were seated, he stood at the pulpit and said, "Why all the long faces, has someone died?" Then looking at the coffin, "Oh, I knew I was here for a reason". He immediately took a somber occassion and truly made it a celebration of life.
I also remember after my friends niece gave a moving eulogy, he started to applaud and said, "It's okay to applaud in Church, they haven't ruled against it - not yet anyway".
He was one of a kind and I think I speak for most Australians when I say that, even if you aren't religious, he made you believe that there just might be a God.
Vale Father Bob, you'll have angels in stitches 😉

Although I didn't know him personally Father Bob officiated at the weddings of 3 close friends and the funerals of 2 others over the years. I remember at the last funeral in 2011, when the congregation were seated, he stood at the pulpit and said, "Why all the long faces, has someone died?" Then looking at the coffin, "Oh, I knew I was here for a reason". He immediately took a somber occassion and truly made it a celebration of life.
I also remember after my friends niece gave a moving eulogy, he started to applaud and said, "It's okay to applaud in Church, they haven't ruled against it - not yet anyway".
He was one of a kind and I think I speak for most Australians when I say that, even if you aren't religious, he made you believe that there just might be a God.
Vale Father Bob, you'll have angels in stitches 😉
Laughter is always welcome, but especially so in times of sadness and grief. Surely his efforts to cheer up everyone did wonders. What an absolute legend!

I was so lucky to meet him twice in my time, first time when I was young he presided over our church as a special treat to our regular Priest, and the second time he was Guest of Honour to present my then boyfriend with a special award for Best Apprentice of the Year. He really was a fabulous person. Will be sadly missed.