Breaking News: Ahead of FIFA World Cup, Auckland CBD put on lockdown following 'active shooting' incident

Content Warning: The following text contains descriptions of a distressing incident involving an active shooting. Reader discretion is advised.

This morning in Auckland CBD (Central Business District), an ordinary day took a disturbing turn as the area was cordoned off due to a reported active shooter incident.

A police spokesperson told the local press, 'Multiple injuries have been reported, and at this stage, we can confirm two people have died. The male offender is also deceased.'

'The offender moved through the building site discharging his firearm. Upon reaching the upper levels of the building, the male has contained himself within the elevator shaft, and our staff have attempted to engage with him,' they added.

The incident also injured six individuals, as confirmed by authorities.

Prime Minister Chris Hipkins of New Zealand described the attack as a ‘very grim morning’ for the country.

compressed-cbd.jpeg
This morning, there is a significant police presence at the scene due to an active shooting incident. Source: Twitter/rxcdr

After the incident, there was a flurry of police activity in Auckland CBD. Armed officers and helicopters added to the tense atmosphere.

The New Zealand police described it as a 'significant incident drawing multiple emergency entities'.

Australian Erin Sokolowsky, who was on her way to work, found herself caught in the chaos as the incident unfolded.

She shared her experience, stating, ‘Within a minute of walking past (the construction site), waiting for the lights, gunfire started, and people started running left, right and centre.’

She further mentioned, ‘They said five shots. It sounded like more than that. Really loud and felt really close and we couldn’t hear or see where it was coming from. The best thing we (could) do is run and (hide) behind a wall and hightail it out of there.’

The police station issued a statement that read, 'The serious incident in Auckland CBD this morning is currently contained in a building in lower Queen Street, which is under construction.'

Authorities urged residents to avoid the lower Queen Street area and advised individuals in downtown inner-city buildings to remain indoors.

According to witnesses, gunshots were heard at approximately 8 am.

This incident unfolded just as Auckland was preparing to host the opening game of the Women's World Cup.

compressed-bcbd.jpeg
Workers at the construction site were shown on broadcast footage hiding under the protection of the police. Source: Twitter/rxcdr

With the FIFA Fan Festival taking place nearby, Maia Jackson, homegrown football great, expressed her concerns to the New Zealand Herald.

She stated, ‘It's pretty scary actually. So they pushed us to the back of the cloud where we are and we're just trying to keep sane. There's lots of security and lots of uncertainty.’

Key Takeaways

• Police have cordoned off several streets in Auckland's CBD due to a reported shooting incident.
  • Six people were injured in the attack, and initial reports suggest two people, as well as the gunman, have been killed.
  • The incident occurred in a building under construction on the city’s Lower Queen Street, prompting police to ask the public to avoid the area and for people in nearby buildings to stay inside.
  • The incident occurred as Auckland prepares to host the opening game of the FIFA Women's World Cup.

We are deeply saddened by the distressing events that unfolded in Auckland CBD today.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the citizens of New Zealand in this trying time.

We also extend our sincerest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I came here to write the exact same thing
Shame on you SDC shame on you
You think you need to use CLICK BAIT ??
There was no World Cup Shooting.
If you read the headline it doesn't say that the shooting was about the FIFA World Cup. Therese T was just letting us know about a shooting in Auckland NZ in the middle of the city. I suggest you read it first before you let loose.

Oh please I wasn’t the only one to see this headline but I’m the only you chose to reply to
Don’t underestimate me just because I have an L on my profile I’m neither illiterate nor am I new here I Joined today because I needed to say what I’ve said.
Don’t try an embarrass me here for your own personal preening calm down and stop puffing you chest out like a bully

• Angry
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Oh please I wasn’t the only one to see this headline but I’m the only you chose to reply to
Don’t underestimate me just because I have an L on my profile I’m neither illiterate nor am I new here I Joined today because I needed to say what I’ve said.
Don’t try an embarrass me here for your own personal preening calm down and stop puffing you chest out like a bully
I wasn't trying to embarrass or bully you. I know the person before you said nearly the same thing. You're obviously using a phone to get your messages ( I could be wrong ) so I'm using a computer and I click on the SDC email I get. In my email it says ; Several streets in this city were locked down after an Active Shooting incident unfolded and killed two people just hours before the World Cup was held.
I didn't even look at your L on your site.

• Angry
Reactions: Marilew
Well regardless of what everyone is saying all you have to do is to poin the finger to the system and the Poltiicians that made it that way.
This person had an history (from what I have heard) of violence and yet the system let him out roaming the streets. But guess what, wait for a short while and see what this Polis will come out with while not blaming themselves but everyone else let alone the guns.
Shame. Shame to them and to their current PM.

Seems that the headline of the email was World Cup Shooting but the headline of the article itself didn’t say that. Still wrong that the email headline was sensationalised

I wasn't trying to embarrass or bully you. I know the person before you said nearly the same thing. You're obviously using a phone to get your messages ( I could be wrong ) so I'm using a computer and I click on the SDC email I get. In my email it says ; Several streets in this city were locked down after an Active Shooting incident unfolded and killed two people just hours before the World Cup was held.
I didn't even look at your L on your site.
You know the person before me said nearly the same thing yet you chose to only reply to my comment!!!
Yes I use my phone and perhaps you should have asked first

Well regardless of what everyone is saying all you have to do is to poin the finger to the system and the Poltiicians that made it that way.
This person had an history (from what I have heard) of violence and yet the system let him out roaming the streets. But guess what, wait for a short while and see what this Polis will come out with while not blaming themselves but everyone else let alone the guns.
The perpetrator had a domestic violence charge and was fitted with an ankle bracelet, but was allowed to go to work as he could be tracked going there and back. He was NOT allowed to roam the Streets, as you mentioned. His premises had been searched when he got home detention and no firearms present. For some reason he had some ‘beef’ with his workmates, obtained the shotgun from someone and did the deed.
Not sure why that is the fault of the Prime Minister.

He wasn't out roaming the streets he was allowed to go to work and that is what he was doing as l understand it. the news I read in Australia said he only fired once he got to where he was working. We need to wait for the police to finish their investigation before we all pass judgement we don't know if something had happened to him at work that made him snap and do this act.

I worked in Auckland in the 70s when many boys from the islands felt displaced and hung around the city in gangs. Maoris also gathered in gangs, so a culture of violence grew, and the problem became entrenched.

You need to calm down and get over yourself

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Content Warning: The following text contains descriptions of a distressing incident involving an active shooting. Reader discretion is advised.

This morning in Auckland CBD (Central Business District), an ordinary day took a disturbing turn as the area was cordoned off due to a reported active shooter incident.

A police spokesperson told the local press, 'Multiple injuries have been reported, and at this stage, we can confirm two people have died. The male offender is also deceased.'

'The offender moved through the building site discharging his firearm. Upon reaching the upper levels of the building, the male has contained himself within the elevator shaft, and our staff have attempted to engage with him,' they added.

The incident also injured six individuals, as confirmed by authorities.

Prime Minister Chris Hipkins of New Zealand described the attack as a ‘very grim morning’ for the country.

View attachment 25545
This morning, there is a significant police presence at the scene due to an active shooting incident. Source: Twitter/rxcdr

After the incident, there was a flurry of police activity in Auckland CBD. Armed officers and helicopters added to the tense atmosphere.

The New Zealand police described it as a 'significant incident drawing multiple emergency entities'.

Australian Erin Sokolowsky, who was on her way to work, found herself caught in the chaos as the incident unfolded.

She shared her experience, stating, ‘Within a minute of walking past (the construction site), waiting for the lights, gunfire started, and people started running left, right and centre.’

She further mentioned, ‘They said five shots. It sounded like more than that. Really loud and felt really close and we couldn’t hear or see where it was coming from. The best thing we (could) do is run and (hide) behind a wall and hightail it out of there.’

The police station issued a statement that read, 'The serious incident in Auckland CBD this morning is currently contained in a building in lower Queen Street, which is under construction.'

Authorities urged residents to avoid the lower Queen Street area and advised individuals in downtown inner-city buildings to remain indoors.

According to witnesses, gunshots were heard at approximately 8 am.

This incident unfolded just as Auckland was preparing to host the opening game of the Women's World Cup.

View attachment 25546
Workers at the construction site were shown on broadcast footage hiding under the protection of the police. Source: Twitter/rxcdr

With the FIFA Fan Festival taking place nearby, Maia Jackson, homegrown football great, expressed her concerns to the New Zealand Herald.

She stated, ‘It's pretty scary actually. So they pushed us to the back of the cloud where we are and we're just trying to keep sane. There's lots of security and lots of uncertainty.’

Key Takeaways

• Police have cordoned off several streets in Auckland's CBD due to a reported shooting incident.
  • Six people were injured in the attack, and initial reports suggest two people, as well as the gunman, have been killed.
  • The incident occurred in a building under construction on the city’s Lower Queen Street, prompting police to ask the public to avoid the area and for people in nearby buildings to stay inside.
  • The incident occurred as Auckland prepares to host the opening game of the FIFA Women's World Cup.

We are deeply saddened by the distressing events that unfolded in Auckland CBD today.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the citizens of New Zealand in this trying time.

We also extend our sincerest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives.

And of course the knee jerk reaction will be to try and ban all guns, completely disrearding the fact that while guns do indeed kill people as that was their primary use, The act requires a person to squeeze the trigger (even an accidental discharge is human error). I was bought with guns and their use and had one of two choices when briging the weapon into the house, both the bolt and the magazine were seperate from the weapon and further I could keep either the bolt and mag, or the weapon but not all. A breach of any of those conditions would result in the weapons barrel being into any angle other than straight no matter how much said weapon was worth.