Breakfast tacos recipe from MasterChef judge Jock Zonfrillo

As the name suggests, good breakfast tacos are an absolute delight in the mornings, but they can also be enjoyed whenever you need a filling lunch or a sumptuous dinner!

Here, MasterChef judge Jock Zonfrillo shows us his recipe for making these delicious breakfast tacos – of course, not without an added twist from the cooking expert himself.

Here are the ingredients he used. For the tortillas:
  • 100g yellow masa harina
  • 125g hot water
  • 30g rendered beef fat
  • 4g salt
Masa harina is a traditional flour that is often used to make tamales, tortillas and a variety of other Mexican dishes. The flour comes from a dried masa, which is dough made from corn that has been specially treated.

While it may be difficult to spot in supermarkets, you can opt for alternatives such as regular flour or corn starch, as they have the same thickening properties, but will not provide the distinctive flavour of masa harina.

But since making tortillas from scratch can be a cumbersome task, you can also use pre-made corn tortillas such as this one from Woolworths and this one from Coles.

To make the guacamole filling, he used:
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 30g extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ lime, juiced
  • Salt to taste
For the salsa:
  • 2 roma tomatoes, diced
  • ¼ bunch coriander, roughly chopped
  • ½ red onion, diced
  • ½ lime, juiced
And for the meat filling:
  • Chorizo, diced
  • Feta cheese
  • Eggs
  • Jalapeno hot sauce (optional)

Here’s how he did it:

First, add 100 grams of yellow masa harina (or your alternatives), 30 grams of rendered beef fat, and 125 grams of hot water into a bowl and mix until they form a dough-like consistency.

Split the dough into six small balls and flatten them out with a tortilla press.

Cook the corn tortillas on both sides in a frypan over high heat until they are golden and toasted, then set aside to cool.

(Skip the first three steps if you’re using pre-made tortilla chips.)

Add half of a juiced lime, salt, 30 grams of extra virgin olive oil and a diced avocado into a bowl, then set aside.

Chop a quarter bunch of coriander and combine with two diced roma tomatoes, half of a diced red onion and half of a juiced lime in a bowl, then set aside.

9aRvzuTs_oKTqA7EcKj-CLg9sUxVekD2pEEYwj3fkrtHa-v2RWxb-7iYhfigN2YLtTY1BbdpKN8TYmOrFhODUnxqfnnSXsyQcf_C84CZdE925jOD_WUzJX7hhm2WMg5_wX6s3alX

Credit: TikTok/@zonfrillo.

Dice up a stick of chorizo and cook in the frypan until caramelised and crack in two eggs.

Break the yolks and scramble the eggs until they are cooked. Place guacamole onto a corn tortilla followed by chorizo, scrambled eggs and pico de gallo salsa. Crumble feta cheese on top.

L9lcHic5ZnVe-eiY4ia4n13n9bI97VWRrMaYmT6jWrqluxRZyWngTFK7Z8wVCEQ9R_wFxSD37P9DSwSLqgUyG86tVlcmd28nsxCEuLX46VnaXG6QjeByLZjZ2-wZL_f3j-rAGy27

Credit:TikTok/@zonfrillo.

This step is only optional if you like your tacos with a little bit of a spicy kick but you can also drizzle jalapeno hot sauce on top of the fillings.

Serve and enjoy!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
I love Jock's recipes but I must brag that my family have been enjoying breakfast tacos for years. I just use Coles brand corn tortillas, bottled salsa (unless I have tomatoes in the garden) we make our guacamole with a splash of soy sauce and about a teaspoon of sweet chilli sauce. I cook whatever is in the fridge with the eggs. My kids love bacon but sometimes it's just as simple as some salami left from lunch sandwiches. My kids like all sorts of cheese so it depends entirely on what's in the fridge at the time. I put the warmed tortillas out of the oven onto the table with everything else and everyone helps themselves. There's no food arguments because everyone chooses what they like. Cleanup is a breeze. These tacos are a go to meal for us. Quick, easy, healthy and yummy. We have them for dinner too.

Reactions: Ricci