Brace yourselves: Temperatures to soar above 40°C in major Aussie states!

Australia is no stranger to heat waves, but the current one sweeping across the nation is proving to be a scorcher.

With temperatures set to soar above 40°C in several states, it's time to brace yourself for some serious heat.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued heatwave warnings for New South Wales, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, and the Northern Territory, indicating that the mercury will remain well above average for the foreseeable future.

The heatwave is expected to be wide-reaching, impacting central Western Australia, Northern South Australia, Southern North Territory, Southern Queensland, and New South Wales.

compressed-tired-fitness-woman-wipes-sweat-from-forehead-feels-fatigue-after-active-cardio-wo...jpeg
Aussies are challenged by the scorching heat waves in the country, with some major states forecast to reach above 40°C. Image: Freepik

The severity of the heatwave varies from low to severe across these states, with locally extreme heat waves predicted to impact parts of far South West Queensland.

'Widespread temperatures above 40°C are expected across inland and eastern parts of Australia over the next few days, with some inland areas as hot as 49°C,' a Bureau of Meteorology spokesperson said.

‘The heat will spread out to the coast, with Sydney forecast to reach 35°C on both Thursday and Friday, while some of the western suburbs may reach 39°C or even 40°C.’

The heatwave is not just about high temperatures; it's also about the duration of the heat.

Extended periods of intense heat can have serious health impacts, particularly for the elderly, young children, and those with chronic medical conditions.

It's crucial to stay hydrated, limit physical activity, and stay indoors during the hottest part of the day.

Areas in the interior part of the country, like Southern Australia’s North, Southwest Queensland, and Northwest NSW, could be uncomfortably hot in temperatures in the mid to high 40s on 25 and 26 January, while Queensland’s Birdsville is forecasting a staggering 49°C on the 26th.

Widespread records are not expected to be broken but some locations could possibly set new records for maximum temperatures, the bureau said.

Despite the scorching heat wave, cooler air developing in the south of Western Australia is set to spread across the southern states before the weekend, ending the sweltering temperatures for many Aussies.

The cool change of air will mean better weather for those areas that could last on the weekend.

As the heatwave continues, it's important to take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Here are some tips when dealing with heat waves:
  1. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water, even if you don't feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine as they can lead to dehydration.
  2. Stay cool: Spend as much time as possible in air-conditioned buildings. If you don't have air conditioning at home, consider going to a shopping centre or public library.
  3. Dress appropriately: Wear lightweight, light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing. Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses and by applying sunscreen.
  4. Check on others: Check regularly on family, friends, and neighbours who may be at high risk (such as the elderly and people with chronic diseases).
  5. Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle: This is especially true for children and pets.

Remember, while heat waves can be uncomfortable, they can also be dangerous. Stay safe, stay cool, and look out for each other during this sizzling period.

Key Takeaways
  • Heatwaves with temperatures surpassing 40°C are predicted to continue affecting Australia, including central Western Australia, Northern South Australia, Southern Northern Territory, Southern Queensland, and NSW.
  • Heatwave warnings of varying intensities are in place across five states, with possibilities of locally extreme heat waves in parts of far South West Queensland.
  • The Bureau of Meteorology forecasts widespread high temperatures in inland and eastern Australia, mentioning that Sydney could see temperatures reaching 35°C.
  • Although widespread records might not break, individual remote or inland locations could see record maximum temperatures, and relief is expected as cooler air spreads later in the week.

Have you experienced the effects of this heatwave? Share your stories and tips for staying cool in the comments below.

Sponsored
We had 34 deg in Sydney yesterday but felt like 40 with the humidity.
Last night was horrible temp was sitting at 26 deg.

Today in my area it is 40 deg and 80% humidity but a cool change is expected tonight with cooler weather tomorrow and Sunday but high temps are back next week.

This is how I slept last night with this fan on my face
Screenshot_20240126_094426_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
We had 34 deg in Sydney yesterday but felt like 40 with the humidity.
Last night was horrible temp was sitting at 26 deg.

Today in my area it is 40 deg and 80% humidity but a cool change is expected tonight with cooler weather tomorrow and Sunday but high temps are back next week.

This is how I slept last night with this fan on my face
View attachment 39967
🥵 Heat and humidity…ugh! Bring on the fans and air con.

It has to be 40 deg in Sydney now and it's so windy , you actually can't breath outside.

There will definitely be bushfires today and I can't believe some of my kids have gone to the beach .

With the humidity it feels like high 40s and being out in it you are looking at heat stroke

I had a market stall on the riverbank in Taree on Australia Day. The outside temperature was 45 degrees. They had set up a couple of misting gazebos and oh what a lifesaver they were. I was in them at least 5 or 6 times and would saturate myself each time. Basically they had lined a couple of gazebos with soaker hoses. The best idea ever.

Reactions: Jo Piper3