Brace yourself for winter: Top money-saving tips shared by pensioners

Winter is coming, and we all know what that means: skyrocketing energy bills. But don't lose hope just yet! Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we love uncovering money-saving gems.

This time, a couple of thrifty pensioners in Australia have shared some clever tips to help you slash your energy expenses by as much as a whopping 30 per cent!

In Melbourne, 67-year-old pensioner David Slape from Altona North managed to reduce his bills significantly by simply making a few changes around his home. David was sensible enough not to compromise on comfort - after all, 'you don't want to freeze,' he told 9News.

As a pensioner and Salvation Army volunteer, David firmly believes that 'when you're on a pension, every little bit does help, and it's that satisfaction of having done it yourself.'

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 11.13.25 AM.png
A pensioner managed to cut his bills by over 30 per cent through simple changes and joining AGL's Peak Rewards program. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

So, how did David achieve this impressive feat? He made small adjustments, like being vigilant about turning off appliances and devices when they're not in use. David also introduced energy-saving measures like limiting his showers to just four minutes with the help of an egg timer and participating in AGL's Peak Energy Rewards program.

The program notifies customers of periods of high demand on the grid, encouraging them to reduce their energy usage during that time. Customers can receive up to $10 in bill credits for each high-demand period, which often lasts between one and three hours.

Credit: AGL Energy.

How does AGL's Peak Energy Rewards program work?

Joining the Peak Energy Rewards Program is optional, and it means you'll become part of a community of people who are willing to make small changes in their homes to use less energy during times when there is high demand.

These changes help ensure that energy remains affordable and reliable when it is needed the most, and they also help establish sustainable habits that benefit the community in the long term.

Peak events occur when there is a high demand for energy due to factors like weather conditions. These events typically last for one to three hours.

AGL will send you a text message to let you know when a peak event is scheduled so that you are aware. If you choose to participate, you can decide to reduce or adjust your energy usage during the event.

For example, you may choose to adjust your air conditioner temperature or delay using certain appliances like a washing machine or electric oven until after the event. You can find more ways to make small changes that have a big impact.

Once a peak event is over, AGL will send you an email report detailing your energy usage, and if you meet the energy reduction targets, you will be rewarded with credits on your bill.

Participating in these events is entirely up to you. AGL will send you a text message asking if you want to participate, and you just need to reply with a YES to confirm your participation.

How to set up Peak Energy Rewards.jpg

But David's not the only savvy senior out there! Lofty, a 74-year-old retiree from Newcastle, found another way to save money on his power bills. He shared his method with A Current Affair.

'All the power that comes into the (metre) box, you don't have to pay for. It's only going from the box into the house that you have to pay for,' Lofty explained. 'That's what I cut off when I turn all those switches off.'

Every day, Lofty turns off his electricity at 8:00 am, then runs his radio on $1.25 batteries, which he has an interesting technique to make last longer. He puts the batteries in a plastic bag, two at a time, and stores them in the freezer, allowing them to recharge over seven days.

Lofty has other unique ways to cope with limited power, including boiling water in a jug and transferring it to a thermos, ensuring he has enough hot water throughout the day.

Lofty's electric schedule includes switching his power back on at 11:30 am for lunch and then turning it off again at 11:55 am, only to turn it on again at 5:00 pm for the night. Since adopting this self-imposed blackout, his energy bill has been reduced from $678 to only $152.72, with a credit balance of $522!

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 11.13.34 AM.png
Another pensioner turned his power off for a few hours daily, saving hundreds of dollars on his electricity bill. Credit: Pexels/Tara Winstead.

Despite Lofty's success in saving money, his approach has been met with mixed opinions. Electrician Alex Murker is sceptical: 'I think it's a bit bizarre, to be honest, going out to the metre box and turning everything off... I'd be worried about the fridge going off every day and things not staying cool.'

Regardless of each person's unique methods, the message comes through loud and clear: adopting small changes in our daily routines can lead to substantial savings.

Canstar Blue's Editor-in-Chief Christine Seib recommends following in the footsteps of our frugal predecessors: 'Think a lot like your grandparents would have. Give up your long hot showers; throw on a jumper rather than putting on the heating.'

Seib also highlights modern solutions for curbing energy usage, such as power boards that monitor standby energy use or installing an energy monitoring system that identifies the most energy-consuming appliances in your household.

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne pensioner achieved a remarkable reduction of over 30 per cent in his bills by making simple changes and enrolling in AGL's Peak Rewards program.
  • Another pensioner from Newcastle managed to save hundreds of dollars on his electricity bill by adopting fixed-time schedules to turn off his power daily. However, an electrician cautioned against implementing this without careful consideration, as it may not be safe or appropriate for everyone.
  • With winter approaching, it is anticipated that average electricity bills will increase. Suggestions have been made to combat these rising costs, such as reducing standby energy usage and actively monitoring energy consumption within households.

Stay warm and save money this winter, folks! Armed with these tips from resourceful seniors, we can brace ourselves for the cold months ahead without breaking the bank. For more energy-saving advice, check out one of our previous articles here.

Do you have any additional tips and tricks you'd like to share with us? How are you managing to stay warm in this chilly weather? Have you noticed a recent increase in your energy bill? If so, how do you handle it? We would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section!

Sponsored
I live in jumpers and have blankets over me, don't use the air con or have a heater. If I have any money left over each pension fortnight I put some more money on my power bill. I will tell with the next power bill due in September/October if this is working.

If we are expecting nobody in the evening,we shut down the house and watch tv in bed rather than have heaters and lights on in the lounge. As we rarely entertain,it’s early to bed for us. Highly recommended on these chilly nights!

My tv (or radio) rarely ever gets switched on & all standbys are off. I dont have solar as cant afford to instal it & with $60-70 month power bills i dont think its worth the outlay (take too long to pay for itself). I have a wood heater (cheap wood from my brother). Electric bike was a good investment (halves the fuel bill). I also find onlind groc shopping (& delivery) cost saving as when its time to checkout/pay i reassess how much i need certain items & always keep groc budget under $220 per fortnight.

Winter is coming, and we all know what that means: skyrocketing energy bills. But don't lose hope just yet! Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we love uncovering money-saving gems.

This time, a couple of thrifty pensioners in Australia have shared some clever tips to help you slash your energy expenses by as much as a whopping 30 per cent!

In Melbourne, 67-year-old pensioner David Slape from Altona North managed to reduce his bills significantly by simply making a few changes around his home. David was sensible enough not to compromise on comfort - after all, 'you don't want to freeze,' he told 9News.

As a pensioner and Salvation Army volunteer, David firmly believes that 'when you're on a pension, every little bit does help, and it's that satisfaction of having done it yourself.'

View attachment 20325
A pensioner managed to cut his bills by over 30 per cent through simple changes and joining AGL's Peak Rewards program. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

So, how did David achieve this impressive feat? He made small adjustments, like being vigilant about turning off appliances and devices when they're not in use. David also introduced energy-saving measures like limiting his showers to just four minutes with the help of an egg timer and participating in AGL's Peak Energy Rewards program.

The program notifies customers of periods of high demand on the grid, encouraging them to reduce their energy usage during that time. Customers can receive up to $10 in bill credits for each high-demand period, which often lasts between one and three hours.

Joining the Peak Energy Rewards Program is optional, and it means you'll become part of a community of people who are willing to make small changes in their homes to use less energy during times when there is high demand.

These changes help ensure that energy remains affordable and reliable when it is needed the most, and they also help establish sustainable habits that benefit the community in the long term.

Peak events occur when there is a high demand for energy due to factors like weather conditions. These events typically last for one to three hours.

AGL will send you a text message to let you know when a peak event is scheduled so that you are aware. If you choose to participate, you can decide to reduce or adjust your energy usage during the event.

For example, you may choose to adjust your air conditioner temperature or delay using certain appliances like a washing machine or electric oven until after the event. You can find more ways to make small changes that have a big impact.

Once a peak event is over, AGL will send you an email report detailing your energy usage, and if you meet the energy reduction targets, you will be rewarded with credits on your bill.

Participating in these events is entirely up to you. AGL will send you a text message asking if you want to participate, and you just need to reply with a YES to confirm your participation.

But David's not the only savvy senior out there! Lofty, a 74-year-old retiree from Newcastle, found another way to save money on his power bills. He shared his method with A Current Affair.

'All the power that comes into the (metre) box, you don't have to pay for. It's only going from the box into the house that you have to pay for,' Lofty explained. 'That's what I cut off when I turn all those switches off.'

Every day, Lofty turns off his electricity at 8:00 am, then runs his radio on $1.25 batteries, which he has an interesting technique to make last longer. He puts the batteries in a plastic bag, two at a time, and stores them in the freezer, allowing them to recharge over seven days.

Lofty has other unique ways to cope with limited power, including boiling water in a jug and transferring it to a thermos, ensuring he has enough hot water throughout the day.

Lofty's electric schedule includes switching his power back on at 11:30 am for lunch and then turning it off again at 11:55 am, only to turn it on again at 5:00 pm for the night. Since adopting this self-imposed blackout, his energy bill has been reduced from $678 to only $152.72, with a credit balance of $522!

View attachment 20326
Another pensioner turned his power off for a few hours daily, saving hundreds of dollars on his electricity bill. Credit: Pexels/Tara Winstead.

Despite Lofty's success in saving money, his approach has been met with mixed opinions. Electrician Alex Murker is sceptical: 'I think it's a bit bizarre, to be honest, going out to the metre box and turning everything off... I'd be worried about the fridge going off every day and things not staying cool.'

Regardless of each person's unique methods, the message comes through loud and clear: adopting small changes in our daily routines can lead to substantial savings.

Canstar Blue's Editor-in-Chief Christine Seib recommends following in the footsteps of our frugal predecessors: 'Think a lot like your grandparents would have. Give up your long hot showers; throw on a jumper rather than putting on the heating.'

Seib also highlights modern solutions for curbing energy usage, such as power boards that monitor standby energy use or installing an energy monitoring system that identifies the most energy-consuming appliances in your household.

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne pensioner achieved a remarkable reduction of over 30 per cent in his bills by making simple changes and enrolling in AGL's Peak Rewards program.
  • Another pensioner from Newcastle managed to save hundreds of dollars on his electricity bill by adopting fixed-time schedules to turn off his power daily. However, an electrician cautioned against implementing this without careful consideration, as it may not be safe or appropriate for everyone.
  • With winter approaching, it is anticipated that average electricity bills will increase. Suggestions have been made to combat these rising costs, such as reducing standby energy usage and actively monitoring energy consumption within households.

Stay warm and save money this winter, folks! Armed with these tips from resourceful seniors, we can brace ourselves for the cold months ahead without breaking the bank. For more energy-saving advice, check out one of our previous articles here.

Do you have any additional tips and tricks you'd like to share with us? How are you managing to stay warm in this chilly weather? Have you noticed a recent increase in your energy bill? If so, how do you handle it? We would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section!

Doesn’t reheating your water tank or recooling ur fridge after being off cause the appliance to use more energy. I turn off all standby switches and only use when needed incl internet yet my bill still went up. 😡

I try not to use the heater as it uses to much power ,I have a heated throw rug
my 2 grandchildren also have 1 each but rarely use them ,we have electric blankets, use 1 small lamp in the lounge room watching TV ,I have started turning of everything at power point to ,my grandchildren shower at home before coming in but I was shocked at my power bill .even though I pay direct deposit every fortnight $50.00 but it’s not enough ,so thinking of putting it up to $75 each fortnight to try cover it

This interestingly dropped into my email box from origin today. Tips for saving electricity.

Energy hacks to keep bills down​

Bullet 1
Door snakes - reduce heating costs by keeping warm air in and cold air out​
Bullet 2
Standby power - an oldie but a goodie. Turning things off at the plug could save you up to $100 a year.​
Bullet 3
Heated electric throws - could cost around 19 cents a day to run, compared to $3 for 5 hours of heating​

View attachment 20325

View attachment 20326

Key Takeaways

I do as much as possible to reduce power load and don’t know what else I can do. I cant get solar as too many trees around the area and it’s so expensive despite the rebates.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and TheBear
I live in jumpers and have blankets over me, don't use the air con or have a heater. If I have any money left over each pension fortnight I put some more money on my power bill. I will tell with the next power bill due in September/October if this is working.
I am a believer in rugging up too. I have an aircon unit and used it about twice a year until I had to have a repair that cost me more than years' worth of using it ..Catch 22? Same in the summer, unless I cannot breathe with the humidity. Maybe twice for 3 hours max after dark. I believe we should keep our body clothed temperatures according to the weather, not the easy way of being in airconditioned areas most of the time as I think most do today. My grandson is an aircon supporter! His mum is not. We all share the same roof, different spaces. My unit is separate from their ducted system, but I still pay extra over and above when the combined electricity bills come in. It is absurd we are forced to pay for the Government's choices to sell our rich resources overseas and leave us with just enough at a constantly escalating price. Who runs this show I wonder ( not just the current lot). More disturbing homelessness, rents out of proportion, barely reachable cost of living for the general Aussie and more immigration numbers coming in each month, where will they all live I wonder?

I am a believer in rugging up too. I have an aircon unit and used it about twice a year until I had to have a repair that cost me more than years' worth of using it ..Catch 22? Same in the summer, unless I cannot breathe with the humidity. Maybe twice for 3 hours max after dark. I believe we should keep our body clothed temperatures according to the weather, not the easy way of being in airconditioned areas most of the time as I think most do today. My grandson is an aircon supporter! His mum is not. We all share the same roof, different spaces. My unit is separate from their ducted system, but I still pay extra over and above when the combined electricity bills come in. It is absurd we are forced to pay for the Government's choices to sell our rich resources overseas and leave us with just enough at a constantly escalating price. Who runs this show I wonder ( not just the current lot). More disturbing homelessness, rents out of proportion, barely reachable cost of living for the general Aussie and more immigration numbers coming in each month, where will they all live I wonder?
Ridiculous to increase immigration with Aussies suffering so much. Maybe put the resources into helping our own people not the whole world.

Reactions: Ezzy
I try not to use the heater as it uses to much power ,I have a heated throw rug
my 2 grandchildren also have 1 each but rarely use them ,we have electric blankets, use 1 small lamp in the lounge room watching TV ,I have started turning of everything at power point to ,my grandchildren shower at home before coming in but I was shocked at my power bill .even though I pay direct deposit every fortnight $50.00 but it’s not enough ,so thinking of putting it up to $75 each fortnight to try cover it
It could be your fridge or even your tv that is burning $$$ electricity money. Also, light globes. Go to the LED globes and get the plastic ones. Get cool light and warm light globes. Cool light globes shed out a great deal of light and use little electricity. Also, maybe invest in a couple of lamps from Kmart on sale $20 & $25 and they come with a shade. Kmart also sell the globes but Aldi had them on Special Buys for $2.99, just check exactly what globe you need. Plus, Aldi will also have on Special Buys later this year the LED globes but smaller ones, less Watt use. I'll be getting more of these, especially the E27 which is the screw in bulb. Ask family to help you out and just ensure the bulb part that goes in fits the lamp. Also, electric blankets use a lot of electricity as does the throw electric blankets.

Think about upgrading to a new OLED 4K tv on sale of course. They use less and there is no heat coming off the tv which is another sign less electricity being used.

Reactions: TheBear
Definitely not reasonable that you should have to pay the brunt of the account if you are not using an air-conditioner.

• Love
Reactions: MindyMac
An expert on a Morning Show this morning (Thursday May 25th), stated "Australians will be paying 24% more for electricity by July."

This would indicate to me that, any assistance given to householders by the Federal Government in the recent Budget will be gobbled up by these increases if this information is correct. Another blow for Pensioners & people who are genuine receivers of Centre Link benefits.

Time to put your foot down and tell them that you are not paying for their use of the electricity. Plus, whose owns the house, who is paying it off. Are they paying off the house and you paying rent to them for your portion of the house. Plus, are they paying top rate and you are missing out on the pension entitlements for electricity, water, gas and council rates.

Do you own the home and they are the tenants in your home and you are still missing out.

It's Time to evaluate. It's Time to put your foot down and tell them they are using 80% of the energy. Make them pay for their usage and if the full costs for connection and you are missing out on the pension rebates, then pay one third of the connection, maybe half if works out cheaper than rental by yourself. Then, one fifth to one sixth of the usage. The Connection & Usage are clear, then 10% GST on top of your part. Not hard to work out.

Reactions: Ezzy
Pussy cats and strays, that back light is going off early. And my pussy cats, you are coming inside earlier and Tibble you can stop meowing with the opposition complaint. It will fall on deaf ears.

It will just the lamps in the hallway and kitchen, low voltage. Blankets and warm clothes.

It could be your fridge or even your tv that is burning $$$ electricity money. Also, light globes. Go to the LED globes and get the plastic ones. Get cool light and warm light globes. Cool light globes shed out a great deal of light and use little electricity. Also, maybe invest in a couple of lamps from Kmart on sale $20 & $25 and they come with a shade. Kmart also sell the globes but Aldi had them on Special Buys for $2.99, just check exactly what globe you need. Plus, Aldi will also have on Special Buys later this year the LED globes but smaller ones, less Watt use. I'll be getting more of these, especially the E27 which is the screw in bulb. Ask family to help you out and just ensure the bulb part that goes in fits the lamp. Also, electric blankets use a lot of electricity as does the throw electric blankets.

Think about upgrading to a new OLED 4K tv on sale of course. They use less and there is no heat coming off the tv which is another sign less electricity being used.
I disagree that electric blankets & throw rugs use a lot of electricity. The amount is has been quoted by a member at just 19 cents per day. These aren't used for a whole day. $100 per month should be ample for your account.

People would say the electric chair used in the USA for an electrocution use a lot of electricity when in fact they use no more than a hair dryer. Just the way these are used.

Is there a possibility there is an appliance somewhere in your home you are unaware of which is using power?
Alternatively, could someone be stealing electricity from you? I believe this needs to be checked for you.