Boyfriend of vegan woman accuses her of “messing with his food”, demands her to apologise

Sharing on the popular Reddit page ‘Am I The A**hole’ – where users can have other people judge their situations and tell them whether they were in the wrong or not – one woman revealed that her boyfriend accused her of ‘lying’ and ‘betrayal’ because she cooked him plant-based meals whenever he came over to her place.

“This is the first major fight we've had and I don't want to end such a great relationship over it,” the 21-year-old woman said.

“I just feel like no matter how much I try to explain my point of view he keeps trying to make me sound like a villain.”

You can read her full story below.

ddvwaaeCdEZmoWyvBx8JksfDDllhhgTWwKVLD2i3g1xZJQ9xE6QVahJUtGCpck2BufZXvXeEKdzv6Au68c1TmTVo3Vb1JlStZqavaBOQ4SLonc4ryhEF8j27motdIqE7hdwftcvc

Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto.

25Cp5R0jz33hmcEnBSNRvgr1zrTxofBFhuyNPijSIOM74XiFPK8Azb7TxTwsxXKWvsIxyPRrDjxf2h62jxGDIfijs-6d8dOslXnOEq8cu5N2Wz85u-9QobLMkGJXZ7UkEdgIAkQ8

Nv9576nVlxsCsnFXKyth6TkJG8xwgJ0Wk58mEOgk-mAwiMtjK9YWwDjs6Rfc0SUs2qhfgRrycwRp1-oJvL8kG1JgcQELc8Bbv_ttIJZNBGM0HfSVx4yaHkRLajzpGxHAcToqhMD9

Credit: Reddit/TheElderAgrippina.

The woman added that her boyfriend never helped her cook dinner, which she usually doesn’t mind. “Since my apartment is small and the kitchen might get kind of cramped, he usually waits in the living room and sets up a music playlist and sets the table and stuff.”

She said the boyfriend also never inquired about the food aside from asking what she was making. When he asked what ingredients were used or where she bought them, she answered him honestly as well. “It's not like I would lie and say it was real meat,” she said.

The woman’s post blew up in the forum and a great majority of the users took her side. Though, most of the comments attacked the boyfriend for being inconsiderate and a ‘baby’.

One person wrote: “So... the boyfriend knew [the woman] was vegan, ate burgers with her at her house while she was cooking and didn't ask anything? I almost feel sorry for him for being that stupid.”

Another person said: “He's losing his sh*t over it? Good gravy, you FED him and took the effort of cooking for him. He sounds like a ticking time bomb red flag if he's getting this worked up over vegan food.”

A third person reassured the woman that she was not in the wrong.

“Don't apologise. You did nothing wrong and didn't lie. You told him upfront you were vegan and there is no requirement to announce it every time you eat together after that, even if you're cooking,” they said.

Another user chimed in and added: “For a guy who supposedly hates vegan food, he had no problem eating it all this time, and never commented that it tasted funny or different? It obviously was fine if he kept shovelling it down and didn’t know supposedly till now!”

Should the woman have reminded her boyfriend every time she cooked their meals? Or was it the boyfriend’s fault for forgetting his girlfriend’s food preferences?

Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
I'm on her side in this dispute, the bloke is a moron and she'll be better off without him. BUT apart from that the general practice of Vegan diet followers & suppliers using meat names for plant products is misleading and deceptive. To steal sausage, hamburger, steak, meat pie etc when the product is anything but is dishonest. Tell it like it is! :rolleyes:

I’ve tried plant food and not fussed. Tried half plant half meat. Still not my thing. If I couldn’t tell the difference then I’d be happy to eat it.

I'm on her side in this dispute, the bloke is a moron and she'll be better off without him. BUT apart from that the general practice of Vegan diet followers & suppliers using meat names for plant products is misleading and deceptive. To steal sausage, hamburger, steak, meat pie etc when the product is anything but is dishonest. Tell it like it is! :rolleyes:
Yes, I have never understood calling it a sausage (or whatever) and shaping it as such, when it is made of plant based items.

Boyfriend of vegan woman accuses her of “messing with his food”, demands her to apologise

Sharing on the popular Reddit page ‘Am I The A**hole’ – where users can have other people judge their situations and tell them whether they were in the wrong or not – one woman revealed that her boyfriend accused her of ‘lying’ and ‘betrayal’ because she cooked him plant-based meals whenever he came over to her place.

“This is the first major fight we've had and I don't want to end such a great relationship over it,” the 21-year-old woman said.

“I just feel like no matter how much I try to explain my point of view he keeps trying to make me sound like a villain.”

ddvwaaeCdEZmoWyvBx8JksfDDllhhgTWwKVLD2i3g1xZJQ9xE6QVahJUtGCpck2BufZXvXeEKdzv6Au68c1TmTVo3Vb1JlStZqavaBOQ4SLonc4ryhEF8j27motdIqE7hdwftcvc

25Cp5R0jz33hmcEnBSNRvgr1zrTxofBFhuyNPijSIOM74XiFPK8Azb7TxTwsxXKWvsIxyPRrDjxf2h62jxGDIfijs-6d8dOslXnOEq8cu5N2Wz85u-9QobLMkGJXZ7UkEdgIAkQ8

Nv9576nVlxsCsnFXKyth6TkJG8xwgJ0Wk58mEOgk-mAwiMtjK9YWwDjs6Rfc0SUs2qhfgRrycwRp1-oJvL8kG1JgcQELc8Bbv_ttIJZNBGM0HfSVx4yaHkRLajzpGxHAcToqhMD9

The woman added that her boyfriend never helped her cook dinner, which she usually doesn’t mind. “Since my apartment is small and the kitchen might get kind of cramped, he usually waits in the living room and sets up a music playlist and sets the table and stuff.”

She said the boyfriend also never inquired about the food aside from asking what she was making. When he asked what ingredients were used or where she bought them, she answered him honestly as well. “It's not like I would lie and say it was real meat,” she said.

The woman’s post blew up in the forum and a great majority of the users took her side. Though, most of the comments attacked the boyfriend for being inconsiderate and a ‘baby’.

One person wrote: “So... the boyfriend knew [the woman] was vegan, ate burgers with her at her house while she was cooking and didn't ask anything? I almost feel sorry for him for being that stupid.”

Another person said: “He's losing his sh*t over it? Good gravy, you FED him and took the effort of cooking for him. He sounds like a ticking time bomb red flag if he's getting this worked up over vegan food.”

“Don't apologise. You did nothing wrong and didn't lie. You told him upfront you were vegan and there is no requirement to announce it every time you eat together after that, even if you're cooking,” they said.

Another user chimed in and added: “For a guy who supposedly hates vegan food, he had no problem eating it all this time, and never commented that it tasted funny or different? It obviously was fine if he kept shovelling it down and didn’t know supposedly till now!”

Should the woman have reminded her boyfriend every time she cooked their meals? Or was it the boyfriend’s fault for forgetting his girlfriend’s food preferences?

If he can't forgive you for a small thing like this what will happen if more serious things occur in the future so it's your choice of plants or boyfriend. I have many friends that one side is vegetarian or vegan the other is meat eater but they respect each other choice and have different meals no big deal. I totally agree with him that vegan should use straight plants not the reconstruct products that call them like meat products if you are against meat that much.

Hungry Jacks even has a vegan hamburger, why call it a hamburger at all when the only time there is ham anywhere near it is when you add bacon truly is beyond me. And hotdogs, I'd be surprised to find any meat products there also. I do have a problem with the plant based products being produced to look and taste like meat, that's just weird. As for the original issue she did tell him she was vegan and as usual his maleness comes into play and its all her fault. Grow up sonny Jim, grow a pair and honey you are better off without him.

Run. You really, really don't deserve to be involved with this person.