Born Before 1959? Here's How You Could Be Overpaying for Car Insurance - And How to Stop It!

Are you a senior Australian born before 1959? If so, you could be overpaying for your car insurance. With the average national increase in car insurance premiums at 18% compared to last year, it's more important than ever to look for a better offer.

According to Canstar data, the average car insurance premium has risen by $274 in 2023 compared with 2022. That's a significant increase that could be hitting your wallet hard. But don't worry, there's a solution at hand* - 'Compare the Market*'.

Motor premium increases & claims inflation.jpg
Car insurance premium increases have FAR outstripped inflation over the last 12 months

Compare the Market* is a comparison business that compares up to 10 different car insurance brands to ensure you're getting the best deal. They saved one customer a whopping $418 on her car insurance. Imagine what you could do with that extra money!

But how can seniors and pensioners save on car insurance? Here are some tips from Compare the Market*:
  1. Restrict the age of drivers: This can help reduce the price of premiums.
  2. Consider pay-as-you-drive policies: These come with a discounted premium if you don’t drive very often throughout the year (but you could pay more in the long run if you drive over the specified limit).
  3. Take advantage of no claim bonuses and discounts: The more years you drive without making a claim, the better your no claims discount.
  4. Purchase cover online: Some insurance companies offer discounts if you purchase your car insurance through their website.
  5. Compare insurance annually: Car insurance policies almost always increase in price every year, even if you haven’t made a claim. Comparing policies* every year can help you look for a better deal elsewhere.
  6. Increase your excess: This reduces the cost of your insurance premiums but means your excess will be more expensive if you make a claim.

Average annual comprehensive car insurance premiums by state (2).jpg
Car insurance rates are surging across the country, with double digit percentage increases compared to 2022

Adrian Taylor, Executive General Manager of General Insurance at Compare the Market, also offers some valuable tips. He suggests comparing new policies with the same features for a fairer comparison and considering who is driving your car to save money. He also recommends paying your car insurance annually to avoid any additional instalment fees.

Remember, you don’t have to wait for your renewal to save money if you find a cheaper policy. You can cancel your existing policies at any time and switch insurers. Just be aware of any cancellation fees that may apply.

So, if you're a senior Australian looking to save on your car insurance, why not give Compare the Market* a try? You might be surprised at how much you could save.

*Please note, members, this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We simply do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Are you a senior Australian born before 1959? If so, you could be overpaying for your car insurance. With the average national increase in car insurance premiums at 18% compared to last year, it's more important than ever to look for a better offer.

According to Canstar data, the average car insurance premium has risen by $274 in 2023 compared with 2022. That's a significant increase that could be hitting your wallet hard. But don't worry, there's a solution at hand* - 'Compare the Market*'.

View attachment 36115
Car insurance premium increases have FAR outstripped inflation over the last 12 months

Compare the Market* is a comparison business that compares up to 10 different car insurance brands to ensure you're getting the best deal. They saved one customer a whopping $418 on her car insurance. Imagine what you could do with that extra money!

But how can seniors and pensioners save on car insurance? Here are some tips from Compare the Market*:
  2. Consider pay-as-you-drive policies: These come with a discounted premium if you don’t drive very often throughout the year (but you could pay more in the long run if you drive over the specified limit).
  3. Take advantage of no claim bonuses and discounts: The more years you drive without making a claim, the better your no claims discount.
  4. Purchase cover online: Some insurance companies offer discounts if you purchase your car insurance through their website.
  5. Compare insurance annually: Car insurance policies almost always increase in price every year, even if you haven’t made a claim. Comparing policies* every year can help you look for a better deal elsewhere.
  6. Increase your excess: This reduces the cost of your insurance premiums but means your excess will be more expensive if you make a claim.

View attachment 37462
Car insurance rates are surging across the country, with double digit percentage increases compared to 2022

Adrian Taylor, Executive General Manager of General Insurance at Compare the Market, also offers some valuable tips. He suggests comparing new policies with the same features for a fairer comparison and considering who is driving your car to save money. He also recommends paying your car insurance annually to avoid any additional instalment fees.

Remember, you don’t have to wait for your renewal to save money if you find a cheaper policy. You can cancel your existing policies at any time and switch insurers. Just be aware of any cancellation fees that may apply.

So, if you're a senior Australian looking to save on your car insurance, why not give Compare the Market* a try? You might be surprised at how much you could save.

*Please note, members, this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We simply do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!
Without mentioning names and before I investigated the article ; I signed up car insurance online because the ''price was right'' now I'm not driving as much country long distance . With the cheaper premiums comes the problems of online contact when it's usually a person with a foreign accent . I have smashed up hearing to be partly tone deaf , so I need to lip read to fill in the bit I missed . That's very hard on the phone . I usually need to ask for someone with an Australian accent but sadly they are not always available , or not there at all , or I'm considered racist !. In the past month or so I have spent hours on the phone trying sort out a banking problem (cancelling my credit card I have had near 50 years ; it was originally Bankcard ) and insurance problem but not a claim . Neither have be been sorted , mainly because I cannot communicate with the person at the other end .
I was contacted by an insurance company "fixer" for the want of a better word yesterday so I put the communications problems to him ---- time will tell but I would think $$$ comes first
As they say ; you get what you pay for . Although I will likely pay more I will properly go through a local insurance broker as they sort out the dramas .
BTW it was basically a bank's $15 fee that broke the camel's back --- even bank staff are amazed to being P'ed off and I will likely right off close to $300!! But that's another F'up story

I have just received my car insurance and it too has gone up around $200 . I only drive about 5000 km these days and have not had an accident since I first started driving years ago. Because I tried to find a cheaper insurance some years ago although the premium was cheaper it has ended up that I had to start from scratch regards the discount offered. Some of my time of driving has been in a car in my husband's name as we only owned the one vehicle. So changing for something cheaper does not always work

View attachment 36115

View attachment 37462

bEFORE EVEN CHANGING, CHECK THE CONTENT OF THE POLICY, MANY MAY BE CHEAPER BUT HAVE SMALL PRINT THAT LEAVES YOU AT A DISADVANTAGE SOMETHING THESE COMPARISON SITES OVERLOOK

I used a comparison site ONCE.
At that time I found there was not a huge benefit in changing to any of their suggested providers.
What I did end up with was a barrage of phone calls who said they were following up, but, in fact were wanting to sell.
Now I do my own online comparison shopping by going straight to the providers websites.
Has worked for me so far.
Horses for courses. I have the time and preferred providers. I do like to KISS

I used a comparison site ONCE.
At that time I found there was not a huge benefit in changing to any of their suggested providers.
What I did end up with was a barrage of phone calls who said they were following up, but, in fact were wanting to sell.
Now I do my own online comparison shopping by going straight to the providers websites.
Has worked for me so far.
Horses for courses. I have the time and preferred providers. I do like to KISS
YES.....the pesky calls.... they never stop.....

Try insuring a pristine 22yr old car, the value insured on it is less than the yearly cost ridiculous
Yep. It doesn't pay to keep cars too long.
Eventually we will need to put it up there with covering fine art. As far as being written off is concerned, it will never be enough.
I reckon it's a ploy to take petrol powered vehicles off the road.

Forget compare the market go straight to Apia or Australian Seniors insurance.

My son needs to get health insurance for tax purposes, so I went on line to get quotes I clicked on compare quotes to see if prices were all up there, when I saw I needed too give my details before I could get any quotes I left the site, but guess what , without even giving my number they called me within a few minutes.

Reactions: Davmes
I moved from Melbourne to Brisbane and I had to pay an extra $85.00 for my insurance. I only had four months left before it runs out so I’m assuming that the price difference for 12 months would be around an extra $340.00. 😬
I would love to do “compare the market” but I get fed up with the constant phone calls. Why can’t it be done online?

Reactions: Davmes
Forget compare the market go straight to Apia or Australian Seniors insurance.

My son needs to get health insurance for tax purposes, so I went on line to get quotes I clicked on compare quotes to see if prices were all up there, when I saw I needed too give my details before I could get any quotes I left the site, but guess what , without even giving my number they called me within a few minutes.
Mark your calls private

Reactions: Suzanne rose