Bondi tragedy hits close to home for Sunrise stars

The country was left in shock and mourning following the harrowing events that unfolded in Bondi, where a senseless act of violence claimed the lives of six individuals and left a community grappling with loss and heartache.

Among those deeply affected by the tragedy are familiar faces from the popular breakfast program, Sunrise.

Weekend Sunrise presenters Matt Doran and weatherman James Tobin were notably absent from the show, as they shared a personal connection with one of the victims of the Bondi massacre.

The absence of Doran and Tobin from the Weekend Sunrise broadcast was addressed by co-host Monique Wright, who informed viewers that the pair were taking time away from the program due to their close ties to one of the victims.

'Matt Doran and JT knew one of the victims very well, and they are not with us today to join us on the show,' Wright solemnly announced, with Michael Usher stepping in to fill Doran's role at the newsdesk.

photo (64).jpg
Sunrise stars Matt Doran and James Tobin were absent from the show. Image source: Instagram

The details of the relationship between the Sunrise stars and the identity of the victim were not disclosed, respecting the privacy of all involved during this difficult time.

The community's focus remains on the victims and their families as they navigate the aftermath of such a devastating event.

The perpetrator of the violence, 40-year-old Joel Cauchi, initiated a stabbing spree at Sydney’s Westfield Bondi Junction last Saturday, April 13.

His actions not only ended six lives but also left nine people injured, including a nine-month-old baby who underwent emergency lifesaving surgery at Sydney Children’s Hospital in Randwick.

The impact of the Bondi massacre has rippled through the media community as well, with Sky News reporter Laura Jayes visibly emotional during a live cross as she reported on the death of her friend, Ashlee Good.

‘I didn’t know the others, but I knew one,’ Jayes stated on-air. ‘I can tell you that it was a mother, a mother in the prime of her life, a new mother with a nine-month-old baby. She’s a beautiful woman.’

‘Her baby went into surgery, and her mum didn’t make it. That is really hard news to take. She was so smart, so beautiful, and it was all ripped away in seconds,’ she added.

Good's family has been left to cope with an unimaginable loss, as they issued a statement expressing their grief and the overwhelming support they have received from the public.

'Today we are reeling from the terrible loss of Ashlee, a beautiful mother, daughter, sister, partner, friend, all-round, outstanding human, and so much more,' the family shared.

The resilience of the youngest victim, Good's baby girl, has been a glimmer of hope amidst the tragedy. Following hours of surgery, the family reported that the baby is now in stable condition.

Witness accounts have painted a picture of Good's final moments, revealing her desperate efforts to save her daughter by entrusting the child to two strangers as she herself fought for life.

She was rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital in critical condition but passed away shortly after arrival.

The Sunrise team, along with the country, is now left to process the grief and shock of this senseless violence.
Key Takeaways
  • Weekend Sunrise presenters Matt Doran and James Tobin were absent from the show following the Bondi stabbings due to their close connection to one of the victims.
  • The victim known to Doran and Tobin was part of a tragedy where a knifeman, Joel Cauchi, killed six people and injured nine, including a nine-month-old baby.
  • The baby's mother, Ashlee Good, was one of the victims who sadly passed away, but her baby survived following emergency surgery.
  • The attack has deeply affected those who knew the victims, with reporter Laura Jayes visibly emotional during a live report as she disclosed her friendship with Ashlee Good.
We extend our deepest sympathies to all affected by this tragedy. We invite you to share your thoughts and messages of support as we stand together in solidarity during this difficult time.

Sponsored
I feel a little sorry for Joel Cauchi the Government had let him down when they shutdown all the mental institutions in Toowoomba such as Bailey Henderson, and places like that and put all the patients in units, & and when Joel’s medication was working why the bloody hell did the Dr take him off them it should never of happened the media is making him out to be a monster but he had a disease that was treatable if he could of only got the right help and medication, I also feel sorry for his victims as well,❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I feel a little sorry for Joel Cauchi the Government had let him down when they shutdown all the mental institutions in Toowoomba such as Bailey Henderson, and places like that and put all the patients in units, & and when Joel’s medication was working why the bloody hell did the Dr take him off them it should never of happened the media is making him out to be a monster but he had a disease that was treatable if he could of only got the right help and medication, I also feel sorry for his victims as well,❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I understand what you are saying. Had his medication continued and he had got the support he needed this tragedy would never have happened. It’s just so sad for everyone involved, his victims and their families but also for his parents who are also going through hell

Words cannot express the depth of sorrow felt for the victims and their families. Our deepest condolence to the victims and their families, and to all affected by this tragedy. Our hearts ache with yours, You are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. May you find strength in each other, and may the memories of your loved ones bring you solace and peace.

As far as I am concerned the doctor who took him off his meds should be held accountable for the massacre he should not have been taken off his medication & I do feel sorry for him too .

Reactions: Colette 3799