Bizarre Kmart stock detail exposed in viral video

As much as we can’t help but appreciate the rise of online shopping, at times, we must set aside our cosy armchairs and make the trip down to our local department store. One store that has long been a staple for affordable clothing and household items is Kmart. However, a recent revelation exposed in a viral video has left many shoppers across Australia scratching their heads.

Stephanie (@stephaniemahyy) called out a bizarre detail in various Kmart stores throughout Australia. She highlighted the 'crazy' fact that the retail giant stocks the same range of clothes in all Kmart stores nationwide, notwithstanding the vast differences in climate across different states.

1684909723059.png
According to the shopper, the necessity for winter clothes in Darwin and Far North Queensland is non-existent. Source: stephaniemahyy/TikTok

Stephanie, who is from Darwin, points out that her local Kmart has the same winter clothes in stock as stores in Melbourne, where winters tend to be much colder. To add to the confusion, she noted that during the winter months, Darwin stores don't stock summer clothes, even though temperatures rarely drop below 20 degrees.

'In Darwin and like North Queensland, they will stock the same stuff they do in Melbourne and winter during our dry season, which is when it's like normal 25-degree weather,' stated Stephanie in her video.

'They stock the same clothes here—meaning they stock full winter clothes, no summer clothes. Even though the lowest it's going to get is like 20 degrees,' she added.

While browsing through the rows of jumpers and knitwear in the store, she went on to say, 'Listen up, Kmart. No one in Darwin is shopping for this stuff. Like, if you didn't know, it's hot all year round in Darwin and Far North Queensland and like Townsville and stuff. We don't need this. We don't need it.'

The video garnered a myriad of responses from the online community, with many shoppers wholeheartedly agreeing with Stephanie’s view on this bewildering stocking choice. Some commenters shared similar tales of frustration, while others from across the country empathised with the situation.

'I'm in Queensland, and it's so annoying because it gets a tad cold, but we still need summer clothes—it doesn't get under five degrees,' commented one user. Another revealed their bewilderment, writing, 'Yes! I could never work that out either!'

Kmart has since responded to the matter, saying they're aware of the climatic differences in their operating communities and that they adjust quantities of seasonal products accordingly. However, a spokesperson also explained that they want to give all customers access to the same range of products.

'At Kmart, our priority is giving families easy access to the everyday items they need at the lowest possible prices,' the spokesperson stated. 'We want to give every customer the same opportunity to be able to walk into any of our stores and buy the ranges that they see online, in advertising or on social media,' they added.

Different Shopping Habits and Preferences Across Australia’s Diverse Regions​

This recent video highlighted the difficulty shoppers in some regions of Australia experience when trying to buy appropriate clothing based on season, temperature and climate. While some states may experience dropping temperatures around winter, others remain warm year-long. With the same range of clothes stocked in all Kmart stores, customers in Northern Australia are left without what they really need—fashion and wardrobe items suitable for warmer climates.

By understanding customers’ shopping habits and preferences in different regions, retail giants like Kmart stand a better chance of meeting their customers’ needs—whether it be winter clothes for those in the colder states or summer clothing for interstate shoppers in the more balmy parts of the country.

Despite the challenge of providing the same selection of clothing in all its stores, Kmart said that it is continuing to strive to give customers across the country access to ranges seen online, in advertising, and on social media platforms.

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart customer has spoken out about a bizarre detail in various stores around Australia, stocking the same range of clothes in all locations despite different climates.
  • The shopper, Stephanie, who lives in Darwin, noticed that her local Kmart has the same winter clothes in stock as Melbourne stores, even though temperatures in Darwin don't drop below 20 degrees.
  • Many shoppers agreed with Stephanie's views, stating that 'it makes no sense’.
  • A Kmart spokesperson responded, stating that they 'adjust' the quantities of seasonal products in various states while aiming to make their ranges available to all customers.
So next time you find yourself wandering through the aisles of your local Kmart store, whether in balmy Darwin or chilly Melbourne, remember that you're not the only one baffled by the odd clothing choices on display.

Members, we would love to hear your thoughts on the story. Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments down below!

Sponsored
I had a contract in Darwin that finished on the 1st July, thank goodness Suzanne Grae had winter stock because I hadn't thought to take any warm gear with me in the January and when I landed in back in Brisbane that night and the doors opened I was still freezing even in a tracksuit. I could only imagine how bad it would have if I hadn't gone and gotten the tracksuit.
Also we were stationed in Katherine for a while and believe me it does get cold at night in the NT

• Love
Reactions: MindyMac
People have to understand Darwin. I holidayed there and people hat lived there stated that they got cold in winter. Some were born there and lived there all their lives, so that in winter their bodies actually felt the cold in winter. It may have been warm for people from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide... etc.. but they do feel the cold in autumn and winter. Plus, these people travel as well including travelling to the snow, USA, Europe when it's winter. The person that complained to Kmart obviously hasn't lived in Darwin for a few years and only just recently moved there.

If she is still living there in five years, she will soon appreciate warm clothes and winter sheets and blankets.