Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Birthday parties in the late ‘50s

compressed-Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.04.25 AM.jpeg
Image Source: Facebook/Lori Dickson

Remember how simple birthday parties were back in the day? Parents baked fairy bread, and kids were dressed in their best, surrounded by colourful streamers. Do you have fond memories of those days? Share your memories here.

Now it's all about How many present they get or how much money was spent, How many kids turn up (popularity contest), Were did the food come from (takeaway). And the biggest thing is the designer cake (never buying that again)

Reactions: Littleboy8
Celebrated my 2yr old grandsons birthday back in 1997. Had it catered for and had a suckling pig done, head and all. When it came time to eat the kids screamed and some cried that I had killed "babe". It turned out an horrific 2yr olds party and had to explain what had happened to some of the parents. Sounds funny now...but not back then.

:ROFLMAO: :cry:

In the latter 40's-mid 50's, when any of us cousins, 8 of us, had a birthday party, when the cake was bought out, birthday party cous., had 1st blow out of the candles then the rest of us would all join in on another blow out. My dad refused to have any cake after all the kids spit & splutter was over the icing. Didn't seem to hurt any of us cous's., as we were quite oblivious of same. Memories.

I never 'baked' Fairy bread! Whomever wrote this is silly.
My recipe for Fairy Bread (passed down through countless generations) is ......slice fresh bread, butter lavishly and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands.
I still eat it often when I am hypo.
i wish all well. Rose Payton 68

Birthday parties were simple with sandwiches, jelly and ice-cream and a simple cake that Mum made. The games were the best thing and of course the old favourite Pass the Parcel. We had fun, it didn't cost too much and your best friends came. Great memories.

Reactions: Bezz and Littleboy8
I never 'baked' Fairy bread! Whomever wrote this is silly.
My recipe for Fairy Bread (passed down through countless generations) is ......slice fresh bread, butter lavishly and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands.
I still eat it often when I am hypo.
i wish all well. Rose Payton 68
Maybe it’s a big typo no such thing as baked fairy bread yours is the norm.👍

Would love to know who wrote the caption for this photo!
Since when was fairy bread baked?? Any non/new Australian reading this would be hard pressed to find a 'baked fairy bread' recipe.
Please share if there is such a recipe.

Birthday parties were simple with sandwiches, jelly and ice-cream and a simple cake that Mum made. The games were the best thing and of course the old favourite Pass the Parcel. We had fun, it didn't cost too much and your best friends came. Great memories.
Don't forget the trifle

Would love to know who wrote the caption for this photo!
Since when was fairy bread baked?? Any non/new Australian reading this would be hard pressed to find a 'baked fairy bread' recipe.
Please share if there is such a recipe.
I just assumed she meant 'made'. Who cares about those who can't find the recipe. We recently had 'ex-pats' denigrating it, warnings from 'health gurus', etc. New Australians, like I was once, will soon know what it is and that it's very australian.
The easily-outraged club may disagree, but the non-judgemental club accept everyone: faulty, damaged and, the rare, perfect.