BIG W item sparks ink-redible controversy among shoppers

BIG W, a prominent retail chain, has come under scrutiny due to the availability of a specific item, sparking debates over its appropriateness and legality.

Its accessibility to minors, and the potential risks have raised significant concerns among both consumers and regulatory authorities.

This development has ignited discussions regarding the responsibility of retailers in selling products that have the potential to impact public health and safety, particularly when it comes to items that could potentially lead to irreversible consequences.

The Beginner Tattoo Kit Set, which was priced at $111, included a working tattoo gun, needles, and ink, enabling purchasers to ink themselves or others with permanent tattoos.

The sale of such kits raised significant alarm bells, particularly in light of Australia's stringent laws and regulations governing the tattoo industry.

These laws are in place to ensure the health and safety of individuals, and they strictly prohibit tattooing minors under the age of 18—even with parental consent—in several states and territories, including Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, and Tasmania.

In South Australia, the use of a DIY tattoo kit on someone under 18 is also a criminal offence.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 093113.jpg
BIG W received major backlash for selling an at-home tattoo kit that was available to all ages without restrictions. Credits: BIG W

Despite these regulations, BIG W's at-home tattoo kit was available for purchase without any age restrictions or warnings on its website.

After the issue was brought to light, 7NEWS reported that the product had been mistakenly listed on BIG W's Market page by a third-party seller.

A BIG W spokesperson confirmed that the item has been removed from sale, stating, 'BIG W Market is a marketplace for trusted third-party sellers on the BIG W website. The tattoo kit was recently listed on BIG W Market, and we acknowledge this product was not categorised correctly. We can confirm we have removed it from sale, and no orders have been fulfilled.'

It is reported that BIG W conducts regular product reviews to ensure that items listed are compliant with health and safety requirements and align with the company's brand values.

However, before the removal of the at-home tattoo kit from the website, it had attracted a number of scathing reviews.

‘This is extremely dangerous! Body modifications should be left to professionals, there is a reason there are massive laws and regulations surrounding it,’ one said.

‘The products, such as the ink in this pack, are not Australian standard, and are poisonous. Children (who can not legally consent to a tattoo) can easily buy this, and give themselves and their friends blood poisoning.’

‘This is so disappointing and not safe at all! Studios and artists in Australia need licence to practise for a reason. Council controls this industry for a reason. This will hospitalise you,’ they added.

‘Not good, no age restriction, we’ll have 14-year-olds walking around with ugly tattoos soon,’ another commented.

‘Should not be selling this at all. It encourages untrained people to tattoo themselves or others dangerously. Please remove this product as this can cause serious harm for life,’ a third suggested.

‘Someone at BIG W needs to do their research on the legal implications. They may be liable for the sale of this product,’ another pointed out.

‘This is not something that should be sold. It’s dangerous,’ one added.

Another criticised BIG W for making a ‘mockery’ of the work of tattoo artists throughout Australia.

‘If I could give zero stars, I would. This is atrocious to be supporting,’ they said.

‘The risk of blood-borne diseases being spread by lack of training. The incorrect disposal of sharps. The mockery of an art form trained professionals use to support their household and families is being taken for a ride.’

The public outrage might be justified as their concerns were highlighted by an incident last year involving a 7-year-old girl.
Key Takeaways
  • BIG W faced criticism for selling an at-home tattoo kit that was available to all ages without restrictions.
  • The kit included a tattoo gun, needles, and ink, allowing the purchaser to create real tattoos, posing a health risk.
  • BIG W removed the product from sale after acknowledging it was not categorised correctly on their website, and no orders had been fulfilled.
  • Customers and tattoo professionals expressed deep concern and disappointment over the product's availability, highlighting the potential for serious health implications and legal issues.
What are your thoughts about BIG W’s error? Do you share the commenters’ concerns about the issue? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
That is child abuse. Totally irresponsible and stupid! Let alone how dangerous to anyone! How on earth can they even think of allowing this so openly to the public, totally disgusted!

Probably another cheap nasty chinese product invented by some maniac chinese state employee engaged to design anything and everything to boost their manufacturing sector. They have absolutely no regard or value on life, their only desire is the almighty dollar.

Reactions: Scaveola
Before we start - YES, I have several tattoo's, but even I believe the general public should not be able to buy this sort of items.
I'm a firm believer that only register tattoo artist should be able to buy this (including ink) and only from a register seller.

Probably another cheap nasty chinese product invented by some maniac chinese state employee engaged to design anything and everything to boost their manufacturing sector. They have absolutely no regard or value on life, their only desire is the almighty dollar.
More likely it was a concept and design from a Western consumer based business (probably the US) and is ONLY manufactured in China as that's the monster the West created with the obsession of cheap manufactured products. There is very little that originates out of China, it's predominately a manufacture base and either make 'stuff' from plans provided from the West, eg Iphones, Teslas are designed in the US but manufacture or assembled in China at much more controlled wages base. Or they reverse engineer something that isn't made there to provide those wonderful knock offs that are with very few exceptions the basis of Aldi's 'special buys'. :)

This is a cut and paste story from another site. Interestingly the vital part of the story is left off. Big W was forced to remove from sale (only available on line) over a week ago by the regulator authority with further actions to be pursued against the retailer. Not that this site is likely to be the go to for younger people, but all this does is create an interest and more likely result is they will buy something from an overseas site. A product that they potentially never knew existed until given over hyped publicity.

And who is perfect?. I'm pretty sure you're not neither am I! Big W removed the product as soon as they saw it, no one bought it, no one received it, why the big deal ??? this is DEFINITELY a case of making a mountain out of a mole hill!

More likely it was a concept and design from a Western consumer based business (probably the US) and is ONLY manufactured in China as that's the monster the West created with the obsession of cheap manufactured products. There is very little that originates out of China, it's predominately a manufacture base and either make 'stuff' from plans provided from the West, eg Iphones, Teslas are designed in the US but manufacture or assembled in China at much more controlled wages base. Or they reverse engineer something that isn't made there to provide those wonderful knock offs that are with very few exceptions the basis of Aldi's 'special buys'. :)
Thank you and point taken.

You've got be kidding me, really "Big W" and where is the State laws stopping this sort of thing.
Should be taken off the shelves right now. Come on powers to be do something to stop this items
sale. Still shaking my head over this one.

IMO (to use the acronym for the word-challenged ones among us), to ink yourself with a permanent reminder of just how stupid you can make yourself appear is a good thing ...
I have several ink's as you call them on my body. Got my first one around 30 yrs ago at age 35yrs. To this day I don't regret getting them, I still love each one and wished I had more money to get more. Will admit people are surprised when they hear or see my tattoo's and I have only been asked once to cover them (work related). My friend's, family & myself have never thought I was stupid in getting them, even my mother loved them. 20190620_135426.jpg

IMO (to use the acronym for the word-challenged ones among us), to ink yourself with a permanent reminder of just how stupid you can make yourself appear is a good thing ...
I personally can't stand tattoos. I agree with my Mum over 60 years ago that they look cheap and nasty and have seen many of them on the bodies of the people in nursing homes that are just a shrivelled up mess. They disgust me and I wonder about females who are so into their looks but covered with crap. YUK

I personally can't stand tattoos. I agree with my Mum over 60 years ago that they look cheap and nasty and have seen many of them on the bodies of the people in nursing homes that are just a shrivelled up mess. They disgust me and I wonder about females who are so into their looks but covered with crap. YUK
To each their own.