SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Big W’s ‘Free Books for Kids’ program can help you save on Christmas presents this year!

Christmas shopping can be a daunting time but with a little prior planning, we can all get through this holiday season unscathed. We all know reading is a fantastic way to bond with grandkids. Why not give the gift of literacy and imagination this Christmas?

Big W is relaunching their ‘Free Books for Kids’ program in all stores throughout Australia starting tomorrow, September 15th 2022.

The program, which was initially launched in 2019, will feature over 2.4 million books. You don’t need to make a purchase, simply head in-store and collect a free children’s book each week.

If you visit the store each week, you’ll have eight books ready for gifting this Christmas.

fI7dh0gqNXnIqJOazcgH0TXtdH3h71eBmF7ZzUI9PmbZ_ezdBsve5Iih1QokWhgB0B-yjOR3zS5Y0eLJiQOLrowXPig1pvsMQda9_IpH_WLmcT3bNA8QDahoigEBW1-rz2TN2mciQJe52fq0y5ggRBtqOVYhL_51zSRWP0E0aLWzM3IyAx1Gv7KDdQ

A fantastic way to get kids reading! Image Credit: Big W

'Since 2019, we have been making books more accessible to all Australian families with our Free Books for Kids program. Every family is invited to collect a free book each week for 8 weeks during the campaign period when they visit their local BIG W store, with absolutely no purchase necessary.' Big W’s website states.

'New titles will be released each Thursday after Free Books for Kids begins, and will be available nationally while stocks last.'

A study about family book reading habits led by Big W discovered that more than half of Aussie parents believed their children should be reading more, with over a third spending less than 15 minutes a day reading with their little ones.

'Books and reading play such an integral role in a child's learning and development,' shared Meredith Drake, category manager at Big W.

'They help spark children’s imaginations as well as improve their vocabulary and concentration skills,' she added.

Hundreds of users expressed their gratitude for Big W’s program on social media.

'Big W, I love that you continue to give away amazing books to get children to read. Thank you, my son and I love all the stories.' commented one mum.

'My granddaughter loves these books!' said another.

I (April) was always given books as presents and it fostered a deep respect and love of reading that I’ve carried into adulthood. Not only does it help me in my role here at the SDC but it helped me to write my own novel and review novels before they’re released by popular authors.

It’s opened up so many doors for me and I couldn’t imagine my life without books. Why not help open the door of possibility for your grandkids?

We think Big W deserves a hefty round of applause. Not only are they helping to improve literacy rates and fuelling Aussie children’s imaginations, but they’re helping families do it without an added financial burden. Will you be trying to get your hands on their free books for your grandkids? Do you think this is a clever Christmas hack? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

You might like to watch this Youtube video detailing the benefits of reading to understand the gift you are giving:

As they say, ‘Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.’Big W’s ‘Free Books for Kids’ program can help you save on Christmas presents this year!

Christmas shopping can be a daunting time but with a little prior planning, we can all get through this holiday season unscathed. We all know reading is a fantastic way to bond with grandkids. Why not give the gift of literacy and imagination this Christmas?

Big W is relaunching their ‘Free Books for Kids’ program in all stores throughout Australia starting tomorrow, September 15th 2022.

The program, which was initially launched in 2019, will feature over 2.4 million books. You don’t need to make a purchase, simply head in-store and collect a free children’s book each week.

If you visit the store each week, you’ll have eight books ready for gifting this Christmas.

fI7dh0gqNXnIqJOazcgH0TXtdH3h71eBmF7ZzUI9PmbZ_ezdBsve5Iih1QokWhgB0B-yjOR3zS5Y0eLJiQOLrowXPig1pvsMQda9_IpH_WLmcT3bNA8QDahoigEBW1-rz2TN2mciQJe52fq0y5ggRBtqOVYhL_51zSRWP0E0aLWzM3IyAx1Gv7KDdQ

'Since 2019, we have been making books more accessible to all Australian families with our Free Books for Kids program. Every family is invited to collect a free book each week for 8 weeks during the campaign period when they visit their local BIG W store, with absolutely no purchase necessary.' Big W’s website states.

'New titles will be released each Thursday after Free Books for Kids begins, and will be available nationally while stocks last.'

A study about family book reading habits led by Big W discovered that more than half of Aussie parents believed their children should be reading more, with over a third spending less than 15 minutes a day reading with their little ones.

'Books and reading play such an integral role in a child's learning and development,' shared Meredith Drake, category manager at Big W.

'They help spark children’s imaginations as well as improve their vocabulary and concentration skills,' she added.

Hundreds of users expressed their gratitude for Big W’s program on social media.

'Big W, I love that you continue to give away amazing books to get children to read. Thank you, my son and I love all the stories.' commented one mum.

I (April) was always given books as presents and it fostered a deep respect and love of reading that I’ve carried into adulthood. Not only does it help me in my role here at the SDC but it helped me to write my own novel and review novels before they’re released by popular authors.

It’s opened up so many doors for me and I couldn’t imagine my life without books. Why not help open the door of possibility for your grandkids?

We think Big W deserves a hefty round of applause. Not only are they helping to improve literacy rates and fuelling Aussie children’s imaginations, but they’re helping families do it without an added financial burden. Will you be trying to get your hands on their free books for your grandkids? Do you think this is a clever Christmas hack? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

You might like to watch this Youtube video detailing the benefits of reading to understand the gift you are giving:

As they say, ‘Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.’Big W’s ‘Free Books for Kids’ program can help you save on Christmas presents this year!

So I only have to drive for 31/2 hours to get a ‘free’ book ?!?!?! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

A clever initiative to assist our younger folk with their reading. A good campaign for parents & grandparents to get behind & support. Thanks Big W.
Even if we don't have young children or grandchildren ourselves there may be a family we know who does & whose children may benefit from these books.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci