BEWARE: Woman falls victim to ‘deepfake’ romance scam and loses money

In today’s modern era, finding love online is not uncommon.

However, the internet is also a breeding ground for scams, and unfortunately, many unsuspecting individuals fall prey to them.

One such person is Mary, a 66-year-old Australian woman who was deceived by a romance scam that lasted two years.

Mary believed she had found her perfect match in a British man who had immigrated to Australia.

Their online romance blossomed over two years, but as time passed, the man consistently dodged questions and declined opportunities to meet in person.

SDC 1.png
A woman fell victim to a romance scam that used deepfake technology. Image source: Freepik.

This raised suspicions among Mary's friends, particularly when a peculiar video he sent sparked alarm bells.

In the video, shared with the Kyle and Jackie O Show, the man expressed his eagerness to return to Sydney and meet Mary.

'Two weeks I will be back to Sydney, Australia' he said.

'I really do hope things go well between us. I would love us to meet and be together when I return.'

While Mary interpreted the video as a testament to his affection for her, her friend Liz was sceptical, asking, 'How do you know this stuff is real?'

Liz's suspicions were confirmed when a reverse image search revealed that the video was a deepfake, created using a photo of Andre Moreau, an Emmy-winning news anchor in the US.

The photo had been manipulated using artificial intelligence software to create a video in which it appeared to speak.

Moreau himself confirmed that his face had been used in romance and deepfake scams multiple times.

Unfortunately, this revelation came too late for Mary, who had already lost money to the scam.

Her supposed boyfriend claimed he was on holiday in Abu Dhabi and was eager to meet her in person upon his return.

'He was like, “Meet me at the airport at 8 pm.”' Liz shared.

'He didn’t show up. He said he got arrested at the airport for owing someone money. Mary had to transfer money.'

The aftermath of the scam left Mary heartbroken and confused.

'You want to believe your heart, and so I went down there [to the airport], and I waited there for probably about two hours,' Mary shared.

'I cried all the way home.'

'I don't understand it at all. I don't understand this AI thing.'

Her story resonated with many, with comments pouring in expressing sympathy and sharing similar experiences.

'This is literally happening to my grandmother, and she won’t believe anything I say. Idk what to do,' one shared.

While another added: 'This exact storyline happened to my [bestfriend]. Luckily, she didn’t send him any money. But the same story. Coming home, arrested at the airport for owing some money. Same location and all. It’s so sad.'

'Also happening to a relative of mine. She has sent them over 30k and won’t listen to anyone,' a third wrote.

'Poor lady. Fingers crossed she finds love and happiness elsewhere,' a fourth said.

Understanding Romance Scams and Deepfakes

Romance scams are a form of online fraud where criminals pose as potential partners on dating sites or social media.

They create fake profiles, build relationships with individuals, and then manipulate them into sending money, sharing personal information, or helping in fraudulent activities.

You can read more about romance scams here.

Deepfakes, on the other hand, are synthetic media where a person's likeness is replaced with someone else's.

This is achieved using artificial intelligence, making the video or image seem incredibly real.

Deepfakes have been used in various scams, from romance frauds to political misinformation.

You can read more about deepfakes here.
Key Takeaways
  • Aussie woman named Mary was duped by a romance scam involving a man she met online and had a two-year relationship with.
  • A friend's suspicion led to the discovery that a video sent by the man was a deepfake, created from the image of an Emmy-winning American news anchor.
  • Unfortunately, Mary had already transferred money to the scammer, believing he was arrested and needed help.
Have you or someone you know experienced a similar situation? Share your stories and tips on how to avoid scams in the comments below.

Sponsored

However, the internet is also a breeding ground for scams, and unfortunately, many unsuspecting individuals fall prey to them.

One such person is Mary, a 66-year-old Australian woman who was deceived by a romance scam that lasted two years.

Mary believed she had found her perfect match in a British man who had immigrated to Australia.

Their online romance blossomed over two years, but as time passed, the man consistently dodged questions and declined opportunities to meet in person.

View attachment 39852
A woman fell victim to a romance scam that used deepfake technology. Image source: Freepik.

This raised suspicions among Mary's friends, particularly when a peculiar video he sent sparked alarm bells.

In the video, shared with the Kyle and Jackie O Show, the man expressed his eagerness to return to Sydney and meet Mary.

'I really do hope things go well between us. I would love us to meet and be together when I return.'

While Mary interpreted the video as a testament to his affection for her, her friend Liz was sceptical, asking, 'How do you know this stuff is real?'

Liz's suspicions were confirmed when a reverse image search revealed that the video was a deepfake, created using a photo of Andre Moreau, an Emmy-winning news anchor in the US.

The photo had been manipulated using artificial intelligence software to create a video in which it appeared to speak.

Moreau himself confirmed that his face had been used in romance and deepfake scams multiple times.

Unfortunately, this revelation came too late for Mary, who had already lost money to the scam.

Her supposed boyfriend claimed he was on holiday in Abu Dhabi and was eager to meet her in person upon his return.

'He didn’t show up. He said he got arrested at the airport for owing someone money. Mary had to transfer money.'

'You want to believe your heart, and so I went down there [to the airport], and I waited there for probably about two hours,' Mary shared.

Her story resonated with many, with comments pouring in expressing sympathy and sharing similar experiences.

'This is literally happening to my grandmother, and she won’t believe anything I say. Idk what to do,' one shared.

While another added: 'This exact storyline happened to my [bestfriend]. Luckily, she didn’t send him any money. But the same story. Coming home, arrested at the airport for owing some money. Same location and all. It’s so sad.'

'Also happening to a relative of mine. She has sent them over 30k and won’t listen to anyone,' a third wrote.

'Poor lady. Fingers crossed she finds love and happiness elsewhere,' a fourth said.

Romance scams are a form of online fraud where criminals pose as potential partners on dating sites or social media.

They create fake profiles, build relationships with individuals, and then manipulate them into sending money, sharing personal information, or helping in fraudulent activities.

Deepfakes, on the other hand, are synthetic media where a person's likeness is replaced with someone else's.

This is achieved using artificial intelligence, making the video or image seem incredibly real.

Deepfakes have been used in various scams, from romance frauds to political misinformation.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie woman named Mary was duped by a romance scam involving a man she met online and had a two-year relationship with.
  • A friend's suspicion led to the discovery that a video sent by the man was a deepfake, created from the image of an Emmy-winning American news anchor.
  • Unfortunately, Mary had already transferred money to the scammer, believing he was arrested and needed help.
Have you or someone you know experienced a similar situation? Share your stories and tips on how to avoid scams in the comments below.
No sympathy for anyone who falls for these scams... been enough warnings.

"Perfect match"
"British immigrant"..... two terms I don't normally see in one sentence.

Stupid, stupid, STUPID woman, if it's genuine. Coming from the Kyle and Jackie O Show, though, I have my doubts.

View attachment 39852

Key Takeaways

Yes, I was one six yrs ago. They were very clever. Ended up losing everything and weight due to the stress over 2 yrs. Used a photo of a handsome middle aged man on Facebook which would draw attention to anyone and " Hello" . Unfortunately for me a widow, I was curious. After my visit to Ghana I should have blocked him and his associates who looked after me. One thing led to another . Against my gut feelings I sent money because I have a compassionate soul. I ended up writing down all conversation between us. I still have these and photos. Hoping to find someone who d be interested in writing a book on this.
I want to help other victims and to prevent possible further violations of trust.