Beware! The rise of inheritance scams prompts urgent warning

Here at the SDC, we believe that awareness is key. Nowhere is that more important than when it comes to scams.

Unfortunately, the number of scams out there is forever increasing. And now an Australian consumer watchdog has something new to issue a warning about—inheritance scams.

Technology has opened up a world of convenience for many. But alongside these advancements are scammers trying to take advantage of people and dupe them out of their hard-earned money.

And one particularly nasty category of fraud, destruction scams, comes in the form of unexpected letters postmarked from overseas.

scam1.jpg
Australia’s consumer watchdog, Scamwatch, said inheritance scams are on the rise. Credit: Tara Winstead/Pexels

Consumer watchdog Scamwatch has issued an urgent alert for all Aussies to watch out for these letters, which purport to be from a law firm and appear to be promoting people to claim a deceased person's life insurance.

These letters, in particular, are looming large in the minds of the authorities, who have strongly advised everyone to be wary of any communication coming from overseas as these may be the efforts of scammers impersonating lawyers, bankers and foreign officials.

‘You will lose time and money chasing money that doesn’t exist,’ Scamwatch stated.

‘The scammer asks you to pay a fee or to give your financial or identity details so you can get the money or winnings. There is no free money, and you will lose more money trying to get it,’ it said in its warning.

scam2.jpg
You will be asked to pay fees and send personal information to get the money. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

According to authorities, inheritance scams are often elaborate, with outrageous claims of unclaimed inheritance from a distant relative or wealthy person, complete with bogus bank statements, documents and more.

What is the scammers’ goal? It’s always to obtain personal information and, of course, money by asking for various fees, charges and taxes.

Scammers may also send a court order claiming someone is a beneficiary and ask the recipient for their personal information or money in the hopes of making a claim.

But fake inheritance letters aren’t the only way scammers use to take advantage of you. A couple of months ago, 54-year-old Sharon Watkins became the victim of an elaborate hoax after answering a call from an unknown number.

According to Ms Watkins, she had signed up for the streaming service but wasn’t using it. The medical receptionist responded to the recorded message and agreed to speak to somebody who said they were from Amazon to cancel the account and avoid the charge.

In a short time, Ms Watkins, who lives in the rural community of Woomelang, found herself scammed out of her entire savings of $30,000, left to her by her late mother. You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia’s consumer watchdog Scamwatch has warned about the rise in inheritance scams.
  • Consumers are advised to be vigilant of unexpected overseas letters, often imposed by fake law firms, encouraging recipients to claim a deceased person’s life insurance.
  • Scamwatch informs the public that these scams are often sophisticated, including fake bank statements and other bogus documents.
  • The watchdog asserted that there is no such thing as ‘free money’ coming from unexpected communications, and individuals will lose more trying to claim it.
So, dear members, we implore you to stay alert, stay informed and don't hesitate to report suspicious activities. Remember, if something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Have you encountered suspicious letters or messages lately? Share your experiences with us in the comments!

Reactions: LeslieD
Sponsored
About on a par with the mythical "United Nations" or the "US Treasury" or the "West Nigerian" windfalls or a long-lost relative giving you -- a complete unknown -- the news that you're in line for hundreds of thousands of dollars. All you have to do to unlock this opportunity is ... guess what?

• Sad
Reactions: Gaena
Here at the SDC, we believe that awareness is key. Nowhere is that more important than when it comes to scams.

Unfortunately, the number of scams out there is forever increasing. And now an Australian consumer watchdog has something new to issue a warning about—inheritance scams.

Technology has opened up a world of convenience for many. But alongside these advancements are scammers trying to take advantage of people and dupe them out of their hard-earned money.

And one particularly nasty category of fraud, destruction scams, comes in the form of unexpected letters postmarked from overseas.

View attachment 26397
Australia’s consumer watchdog, Scamwatch, said inheritance scams are on the rise. Credit: Tara Winstead/Pexels

Consumer watchdog Scamwatch has issued an urgent alert for all Aussies to watch out for these letters, which purport to be from a law firm and appear to be promoting people to claim a deceased person's life insurance.

These letters, in particular, are looming large in the minds of the authorities, who have strongly advised everyone to be wary of any communication coming from overseas as these may be the efforts of scammers impersonating lawyers, bankers and foreign officials.

‘You will lose time and money chasing money that doesn’t exist,’ Scamwatch stated.

‘The scammer asks you to pay a fee or to give your financial or identity details so you can get the money or winnings. There is no free money, and you will lose more money trying to get it,’ it said in its warning.

View attachment 26398
You will be asked to pay fees and send personal information to get the money. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

According to authorities, inheritance scams are often elaborate, with outrageous claims of unclaimed inheritance from a distant relative or wealthy person, complete with bogus bank statements, documents and more.

What is the scammers’ goal? It’s always to obtain personal information and, of course, money by asking for various fees, charges and taxes.

Scammers may also send a court order claiming someone is a beneficiary and ask the recipient for their personal information or money in the hopes of making a claim.

But fake inheritance letters aren’t the only way scammers use to take advantage of you. A couple of months ago, 54-year-old Sharon Watkins became the victim of an elaborate hoax after answering a call from an unknown number.

According to Ms Watkins, she had signed up for the streaming service but wasn’t using it. The medical receptionist responded to the recorded message and agreed to speak to somebody who said they were from Amazon to cancel the account and avoid the charge.

In a short time, Ms Watkins, who lives in the rural community of Woomelang, found herself scammed out of her entire savings of $30,000, left to her by her late mother. You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Australia’s consumer watchdog Scamwatch has warned about the rise in inheritance scams.
  • Consumers are advised to be vigilant of unexpected overseas letters, often imposed by fake law firms, encouraging recipients to claim a deceased person’s life insurance.
  • Scamwatch informs the public that these scams are often sophisticated, including fake bank statements and other bogus documents.
  • The watchdog asserted that there is no such thing as ‘free money’ coming from unexpected communications, and individuals will lose more trying to claim it.
So, dear members, we implore you to stay alert, stay informed and don't hesitate to report suspicious activities. Remember, if something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Have you encountered suspicious letters or messages lately? Share your experiences with us in the comments!
I received the letter stating that a relative in Holland had died & left a large sum of money. Once the fees were taken out he wanted me to split the difference with him. The funny thing is I’m not Dutch my husband is. What concerns me is that they had the correct address. I just ripped it up and put in the bin.

• Wow
I have also had ones at different times from Malaysia 12 mths after my husband passed away of an investment that had fees owing and they had our names and addresses etc. I was tempted to tell them take out the fees and send me the balance. Thought better of it as it would have proved my details. We had a laugh about it ,they are so cunning.

I think you would know if your due an inheritance I got several emails a couple of years ago from USA and of course they wanted my bank account details they never got them kept getting the emails telling me I am running out of time the thing is if you are owed money from an inheritance it doesn't run out of time they finally gave up on me

View attachment 26397

View attachment 26398

Key Takeaways

I'd know straightaway it's a scam, I know I don't have any rich relies who'd leave money or anything else of value to me 😂😂

• Haha
An Insurance Company trying to give you money should be a red flag right-off !!!
In 99% of cases trying to get money out of an Insurance company, is like trying to get blood out of a stone !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Loubeauxarts
A few years ago now I received an email supposedly from a firm of solicitors in the UK. They said they were trying to find someone with my name in Sydney as there was an inheritance waiting. I would usually just delete these emails (along with the Nigerian Prince and his ilk) but there was something about this particular one. I did some research and found that the solicitors did really exist, the particular solicitor was real and registered appropriately in the UK and the contact details in the email were correct. Using the information from elsewhere, I phoned the solicitor only to discover they were absolutely genuine. The only thing was I was not the right person 😂 I did some brief research here for them and found a couple of other possibilities but I never did find out what happened and whether they found the right person.