Beware: Popular family car model recalled over fire risk

A few months ago, news spread of a mother of two who had been left 'traumatised' after her family's car unexpectedly caught fire.

Anne-Maree Johnston and her daughter were out enjoying their lunch when a fire suddenly broke out in their 2014 Hyundai ix35, which was parked in the garage.

The mum used a garden hose to put out the flames while she waited for the firefighters to arrive–and at the time, she was afraid that her home would be lost forever.

Thankfully, everyone made it out okay. But the incident definitely raised some eyebrows and prompted people to start wondering whether their own vehicles could be at risk of doing the same thing.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.18.16 AM.png
Fears that the SUVs could catch fire even when turned off prompted Hyundai to immediately recall ix35 models. Credit: Department of Transport.

Unfortunately, it looks like those worries may not be unfounded. Just recently, a popular car was recalled over manufacturing defects that could cause a fire – even if the car is turned off!

The vehicles fall under the Hyundai ix35 models manufactured between 2014 and 2015. It is estimated that nearly 19,541 cars are affected by this recall in Australia alone.

As detailed in the recall notice from the Department of Infrastructure and Transport, parts of the circuit board in these vehicles' Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) modules could short-circuit when exposed to moisture – potentially causing fires, even when the cars are turned off and parked for extended periods of time.

This is very dangerous and poses significant risks to both drivers and passersby alike.

The notice noted that the fault would not affect the functioning of the brake system, but that's a small consolation when you think about the potential for a fire.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.18.09 AM.png
Affected owners are being urged to park their cars in open spaces in the meantime. Credit: Unsplash/Michael Fousert.

Hyundai will be contacting the owners of all affected vehicles to set up appointments to have the ABS repaired. In the meantime, they advise all owners to park their cars in open spaces, away from any flammable materials, until the repairs can be made.

While we hope that this particular recall is resolved quickly and without incident, it just goes to show that you can never be too careful when it comes to car safety – especially if you own an older model vehicle.
Key Takeaways

• The Hyundai ix35 SUV model (years 2014 and 2015) has been the subject of a recall alert, affecting a total of 19,541 vehicles.
  • According to the Department of Transport, moisture exposure might cause the circuit board in the vehicle's Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) to short circuit.
  • Drivers are being urged not to park their cars in the garage amid fears they could end up in flames.

So, if you think your car may potentially be affected by this recall (or any other, for that matter), we urge you to get in touch with your local dealership or the manufacturer as soon as possible to get things sorted.

The Hyundai Customer Experience team can be reached at 1800 186 306 if you have any concerns about the safety of your car.

What are your thoughts, members? We hope that the recall does not affect your vehicle. Stay safe, everyone!

Sponsored
A few months ago, news spread of a mother of two who had been left 'traumatised' after her family's car unexpectedly caught fire.

Anne-Maree Johnston and her daughter were out enjoying their lunch when a fire suddenly broke out in their 2014 Hyundai ix35, which was parked in the garage.

The mum used a garden hose to put out the flames while she waited for the firefighters to arrive–and at the time, she was afraid that her home would be lost forever.

Thankfully, everyone made it out okay. But the incident definitely raised some eyebrows and prompted people to start wondering whether their own vehicles could be at risk of doing the same thing.

View attachment 10234
Fears that the SUVs could catch fire even when turned off prompted Hyundai to immediately recall ix35 models. Credit: Department of Transport.

Unfortunately, it looks like those worries may not be unfounded. Just recently, a popular car was recalled over manufacturing defects that could cause a fire – even if the car is turned off!

The vehicles fall under the Hyundai ix35 models manufactured between 2014 and 2015. It is estimated that nearly 19,541 cars are affected by this recall in Australia alone.

As detailed in the recall notice from the Department of Infrastructure and Transport, parts of the circuit board in these vehicles' Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) modules could short-circuit when exposed to moisture – potentially causing fires, even when the cars are turned off and parked for extended periods of time.

This is very dangerous and poses significant risks to both drivers and passersby alike.

The notice noted that the fault would not affect the functioning of the brake system, but that's a small consolation when you think about the potential for a fire.

View attachment 10235
Affected owners are being urged to park their cars in open spaces in the meantime. Credit: Unsplash/Michael Fousert.

Hyundai will be contacting the owners of all affected vehicles to set up appointments to have the ABS repaired. In the meantime, they advise all owners to park their cars in open spaces, away from any flammable materials, until the repairs can be made.

While we hope that this particular recall is resolved quickly and without incident, it just goes to show that you can never be too careful when it comes to car safety – especially if you own an older model vehicle.
Key Takeaways

• The Hyundai ix35 SUV model (years 2014 and 2015) has been the subject of a recall alert, affecting a total of 19,541 vehicles.
  • According to the Department of Transport, moisture exposure might cause the circuit board in the vehicle's Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) to short circuit.
  • Drivers are being urged not to park their cars in the garage amid fears they could end up in flames.

So, if you think your car may potentially be affected by this recall (or any other, for that matter), we urge you to get in touch with your local dealership or the manufacturer as soon as possible to get things sorted.

The Hyundai Customer Experience team can be reached at 1800 186 306 if you have any concerns about the safety of your car.

What are your thoughts, members? We hope that the recall does not affect your vehicle. Stay safe, everyone!
This is what happens when your car is full of hideous electronics that no-one needs. Our Family wagon in 1964 had none of this junk and it did exactly the job as these plastic peices of junk do now days. Why they insist on putting all this rubbish in cars is beyond me. A car is to get you from A to B, a radio or CD or similar for long trips but all this other junk, nope, wasted space and a big distraction and an expense that could be done without.

When I saw the headline I thought that it was about one of the new battery powered cars. They are a ticking time bomb. They catch fire for no reason and lithium fires are very difficult to put out as they burn under water. They had major problems with them in the USA when they had floods and they were catching fire because they were immersed in water. Yesterday I saw vision of a bunch of electric cars that had caught fire as they were being transported to the dealers.
Considering that and the fact that electric cars have software in them that can control your car, from an outside source, it will be a long time before I would even think about buying one.
Another factor is that no one seems to be talking about how a lot of the lithium is mined. It mined by children as young as 9 year old in 3rd world countries. That's something to be proud of but then most electric cars are produced in China and we all know their attitude to human rights. Just look at how they treat their own citizens.

View attachment 10234

View attachment 10235

Key Takeaways

I got my doubts about that one. They would be in damage control worrying about the cost of the recall.
Yes, I realised it's a 2014/2015 model, so they wouldn't.
One of my sons used to work in a large car dealership. If the car burnt out within the warranty period, they would replace the vehicle. If not, the owner's personal car insurance would cover it. That's the only thing I know. Our Subaru wrx had a recall a few years ago. Someone's boot burnt due to the positioning of the back stereo system. Our local Subaru dealership fixed it. Always a toss up with older cars versus newer cars. I like both, but I find the newer cars have lots of safety features. For example, my front and rear parking cameras are a blessing.

Last edited:
Ppl think the older cars ar better but ABS is a fantastic option on a M/v most now come standard with them
I had a 64 model catch on fire in 1973 wouldn’t have happened with the 2015 version. It’s also a massive misapprehension that metal is safer because it doesn’t bend well thanks to crumple free zones less ppl are injured in a mva

Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
Ppl think the older cars ar better but ABS is a fantastic option on a M/v most now come standard with them
I had a 64 model catch on fire in 1973 wouldn’t have happened with the 2015 version. It’s also a massive misapprehension that metal is safer because it doesn’t bend well thanks to crumple free zones less ppl are injured in a mva
Yeah I had a 1963 holden that also caught fire modern cars are certainly a lot safer and most accidents are nothing to do with the car it's just people who can't drive

When I saw the headline I thought that it was about one of the new battery powered cars. They are a ticking time bomb. They catch fire for no reason and lithium fires are very difficult to put out as they burn under water. They had major problems with them in the USA when they had floods and they were catching fire because they were immersed in water. Yesterday I saw vision of a bunch of electric cars that had caught fire as they were being transported to the dealers.
Considering that and the fact that electric cars have software in them that can control your car, from an outside source, it will be a long time before I would even think about buying one.
Another factor is that no one seems to be talking about how a lot of the lithium is mined. It mined by children as young as 9 year old in 3rd world countries. That's something to be proud of but then most electric cars are produced in China and we all know their attitude to human rights. Just look at how they treat their own citizens.
while this article wasn't about electric cars etc I agree with your sentiments and have always thought when recently China stopped taking Aussie stuff and put an embargo on us for raising concerns over many things, why didn't the Prim Monster at the time grow a set and say ok no more Chinese made cars into Oz and all that are here get sent back until you lift the bans?

Modern cars are a mystery to me, I don't know why the bonnets even open. I used to be able to do simple repairs myself as things were easily identified, these days you open the bonnet and unless you have the right whatsit together with the computer interface thingummy and the diagnostic doovalacky you're stuffed. It's so complicated these days no wonder they catch fire, I think I would too!! :D :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

while this article wasn't about electric cars etc I agree with your sentiments and have always thought when recently China stopped taking Aussie stuff and put an embargo on us for raising concerns over many things, why didn't the Prim Monster at the time grow a set and say ok no more Chinese made cars into Oz and all that are here get sent back until you lift the bans?
I totally agree. It seems to be all about greed. Many of my friends, and I, really tried to buy Aussie made or made anywhere else but China. It's not easy which shows you how trapped we are now by getting everything made overseas because it's cheaper. Australia has been sold up and sold out for decades by successive governments. It all started in 1973 when Australia was incorporated. Who in their right mind would sell out their utilities to a foreign power, close down all our manufacturing and send the machines overseas? We have everything in this country and yet we import so much that we can produce ourselves. Case in point, we import potatoes from Europe in the form of frozen chips.
I could spend the next few hours giving examples but I am sure that you get the point.

At least we have Aussies doing our car service/repairs/bodyworks. The days of mass producing cars are over for Australians. :(

Reactions: Ricci
Research please ie info source. We mine a great deal of World need for Lithium here in WA and I can ensure you that 9 yo Children are not used.

Please document your statements, which are extreme and not supported by the facts.
I personally witnessed a translator giving answers at a drivers license test. I didn't think it was appropriate to whip out my phone and start documenting it for someone like you. If you look at a lot of Indian truck drivers they have no idea of the road rules. Some of them can't even tie a load down. Again, personal experience but then before challenging someone you ought to do a bit of research.