Beware! Online scammers use Kate Ritchie's image for weight loss gummies

Celebrities and social media personalities have always partnered with companies to promote their products and services from time to time.

But nothing is more infuriating than buying products after seeing our favourite celebrities promote them, only to find out their images were used without permission and that the advertisement is fake.

This situation happened to actress Kate Ritchie, who called out scammers for taking advantage of fans through deceptive advertising.

The former Home and Away actress took to social media to debunk the advertisement and warned her followers that she is not promoting any weight loss gummies.

The fake advertisement showed Kate’s photo overlaid with the text ‘Ladies, I didn’t expect that my weight loss…’ with a caption saying, ‘I couldn’t lose weight for a long time.’

In response, Kate aired her frustration and said: 'THIS POST OR ANYTHING LIKE IT IS FAKE. I am sorry to all the people who have believed this rubbish of me selling KETO GUMMIES or ANY KIND OF QUICK FIX WEIGHT LOSS PLAN!'

‘Please share this post (from the real me) to your own socials on [Instagram] and [Facebook], and feel free to report the numerous versions of FAKES floating around out there. Oh. And a big thank you to everyone who has notified me asking questions,’ she added.

Kate shared the screenshot of the fake advertisement on her social media and urged her followers to report the scam.

Unfortunately, it's not the first time that a scam like this has surfaced online. A photo of Packed to the Rafters actress Rebecca Gibney was also used without her consent to promote weight loss gummies.

‘Those gummies get around. They did the same thing to me not long ago! #fakeadvertising!’ she said.

Earlier this April, The Kyle & Jackie O Show host Jackie 'O' Henderson was also a victim of the same bogus advertisement.

The hoax featured heavily edited before and after images of her Jackie, with photoshopped enhancements to make the 'before' pictures look heavier and the 'after' pictures closer to her appearance now.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 12.55.03 PM.jpeg
Jackie ‘O’ Henderson’s fake weight loss ad circulated earlier this year. Credit: @jackieo_official / Instagram

The fake caption read, ‘Now I weigh 57kg, and I want to lose another 3-5 kilos.’

'Another day, another scam!' she wrote.

'If you see me “advertising” keto gummies, it ain’t true.'

‘But I’m loving their photoshopped pics.’

Jackie has been open about her weight loss journey with WW—formerly Weight Watchers—since late 2022. She lost more than 18 kilograms in doing activities like tennis, running, and aerobics.

Key Takeaways

• Actress Kate Ritchie has called out online scammers who have used her image to sell weight loss products without her permission.
  • Kate shared a screenshot of the fake ad on social media and warned her followers of the scam, urging them to report it.
  • Other Australian celebrities, including Rebecca Gibney and radio personality Jackie 'O' Henderson, have also been victims of a similar scam involving weight loss gummies.
  • Jackie has been open about her weight loss journey through the program WW—formerly known as Weight Watchers, losing more than 18kg with activities such as tennis, running, and aerobics.

Members, always be cautious of the ads you see! If you think you or someone else have been scammed, report it to the ACCC's Scamwatch here.

What do you think of this story? Have you encountered a scam ad or post? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Celebrities and social media personalities have always partnered with companies to promote their products and services from time to time.

But nothing is more infuriating than buying products after seeing our favourite celebrities promote them, only to find out their images were used without permission and that the advertisement is fake.

This situation happened to actress Kate Ritchie, who called out scammers for taking advantage of fans through deceptive advertising.

The former Home and Away actress took to social media to debunk the advertisement and warned her followers that she is not promoting any weight loss gummies.

The fake advertisement showed Kate’s photo overlaid with the text ‘Ladies, I didn’t expect that my weight loss…’ with a caption saying, ‘I couldn’t lose weight for a long time.’

In response, Kate aired her frustration and said: 'THIS POST OR ANYTHING LIKE IT IS FAKE. I am sorry to all the people who have believed this rubbish of me selling KETO GUMMIES or ANY KIND OF QUICK FIX WEIGHT LOSS PLAN!'

‘Please share this post (from the real me) to your own socials on [Instagram] and [Facebook], and feel free to report the numerous versions of FAKES floating around out there. Oh. And a big thank you to everyone who has notified me asking questions,’ she added.

Kate shared the screenshot of the fake advertisement on her social media and urged her followers to report the scam.

Unfortunately, it's not the first time that a scam like this has surfaced online. A photo of Packed to the Rafters actress Rebecca Gibney was also used without her consent to promote weight loss gummies.

‘Those gummies get around. They did the same thing to me not long ago! #fakeadvertising!’ she said.

Earlier this April, The Kyle & Jackie O Show host Jackie 'O' Henderson was also a victim of the same bogus advertisement.

The hoax featured heavily edited before and after images of her Jackie, with photoshopped enhancements to make the 'before' pictures look heavier and the 'after' pictures closer to her appearance now.

View attachment 34708
Jackie ‘O’ Henderson’s fake weight loss ad circulated earlier this year. Credit: @jackieo_official / Instagram

The fake caption read, ‘Now I weigh 57kg, and I want to lose another 3-5 kilos.’

Jackie has been open about her weight loss journey with WW—formerly Weight Watchers—since late 2022. She lost more than 18 kilograms in doing activities like tennis, running, and aerobics.

Key Takeaways

• Actress Kate Ritchie has called out online scammers who have used her image to sell weight loss products without her permission.
  • Kate shared a screenshot of the fake ad on social media and warned her followers of the scam, urging them to report it.
  • Other Australian celebrities, including Rebecca Gibney and radio personality Jackie 'O' Henderson, have also been victims of a similar scam involving weight loss gummies.
  • Jackie has been open about her weight loss journey through the program WW—formerly known as Weight Watchers, losing more than 18kg with activities such as tennis, running, and aerobics.

Members, always be cautious of the ads you see! If you think you or someone else have been scammed, report it to the ACCC's Scamwatch here.

What do you think of this story? Have you encountered a scam ad or post? Let us know in the comments below!

😹😹😹😹funny story

If you could lose weight instantly with gummies, or ANY product, there would be no overweight people in the world!!

Reactions: MariaG

View attachment 34708

Key Takeaways

That scam has been around for at least a couple of years now

The photoshopping was not the best.
I always remind myself of how much the stars who promote products are paid for doing the promoting. All the more reason to ignore the products.
As far as scam promotions are concerned, always go by the logic that these celebrities who are quoted as having miracle results, more than likely don't need miracle results, because, they have the money and means to achieve those results without stupid gimmicks.
This is nothing new, and, quite honestly does not deserve the attention it receives.