Beware of where you park! NSW driver slapped with hefty $283 fine for this unexpected mistake

Parking fines can feel like a gut punch to any of us. The pain skyrockets when it feels like we've been wrongfully ticketed, but to make matters worse, the rules are often complex and confusing.

Take the unfortunate case of an NSW driver who recently copped a hefty $283 fine for a mistake they weren't even aware they were making.

The driver said they parked their car on their own grass out the front of their property in Seaforth, Northern Sydney, on Saturday, but to their horror, they returned to find a ticket waiting for them.

Speaking about the incident in a Facebook community group, the driver asked for advice about contesting the ticket, explaining: 'I park on the grass out the front of my property, our land.'

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 3.34.15 PM.png
The driver questioned whether they could appeal the fine for unwittingly illegally parking. Credit: Facebook.

Sadly though, the driver wasn't able to contest the ticket—and that's because what they had done was illegal in most of Australia, unfortunately.

That's right; did you know that parking on the grass in front of your property could, in fact, be against the law?

Though it might sound a bit ‘unreasonable’, that's the general rule of thumb according to road rules in New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and Victoria: parking on footpaths and nature strips is illegal.

However, if you're living in Western Australia, you have one consolation—there are some councils that will allow you to park your vehicle on the nature strip, provided you have permission from the owner/occupier of the adjacent home. That's one way you can stay on the right side of the law.

Even if you don't have a footpath in front of your house but there is a strip of grass between the boundary of your property and the road, it still counts as a 'nature strip'—which is owned by the council and is off-limits to park on.

The Northern Beaches Council’s parking guide states: 'Always park all wheels on the roadway, not on the verge or path. This includes cars, trailers, boats, caravans etc. Also, ensure you are parallel to the road in the correct direction of travel.'

The guide then warns that the minimum fine for this type of offence is $268.

Key Takeaways

• A NSW driver has been fined $283 for inadvertently parking on a council-owned nature strip.
  • The driver mistakenly believed they were penalised for the wheels of their car touching the kerb, but they were fined for parking on the nature strip, not their own grass.
  • New South Wales road rules state that parking a vehicle on footpaths and nature strips is against the law, even if there is no pedestrian path present.
  • Similar road laws are in effect in South Australia, Queensland, and Victoria, indicating that parking on the grass outside your property, if past your boundary line, could result in fines.

It's a good reminder for all of us to be extra vigilant when it comes to parking, especially if we're unfamiliar with the area or can't recall what the rules are.

To be on the safe side, it's always best to err on the side of caution and keep your wheels where you’re sure they’re allowed to be. And anyway, leaving your car parked on grass is going to damage it more than you think—the soft soil isn't good for your tyres or wheels in the long term!

It would be remiss of us not to say that this article should not be taken as legal advice, so if you have burning questions concerning actual matters, we strongly urge contacting relevant local authorities.

What do you think of this story, folks? Have you ever found yourself unintentionally on the wrong side of the road when it comes to parking? Feel free to share your experiences with us in the comments below! We'd love to hear your tales of parking misadventures.

Sponsored
Parking fines can feel like a gut punch to any of us. The pain skyrockets when it feels like we've been wrongfully ticketed, but to make matters worse, the rules are often complex and confusing.

Take the unfortunate case of an NSW driver who recently copped a hefty $283 fine for a mistake they weren't even aware they were making.

The driver said they parked their car on their own grass out the front of their property in Seaforth, Northern Sydney, on Saturday, but to their horror, they returned to find a ticket waiting for them.

Speaking about the incident in a Facebook community group, the driver asked for advice about contesting the ticket, explaining: 'I park on the grass out the front of my property, our land.'

View attachment 25045
The driver questioned whether they could appeal the fine for unwittingly illegally parking. Credit: Facebook.

Sadly though, the driver wasn't able to contest the ticket—and that's because what they had done was illegal in most of Australia, unfortunately.

That's right; did you know that parking on the grass in front of your property could, in fact, be against the law?

Though it might sound a bit ‘unreasonable’, that's the general rule of thumb according to road rules in New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and Victoria: parking on footpaths and nature strips is illegal.

However, if you're living in Western Australia, you have one consolation—there are some councils that will allow you to park your vehicle on the nature strip, provided you have permission from the owner/occupier of the adjacent home. That's one way you can stay on the right side of the law.

Even if you don't have a footpath in front of your house but there is a strip of grass between the boundary of your property and the road, it still counts as a 'nature strip'—which is owned by the council and is off-limits to park on.

The Northern Beaches Council’s parking guide states: 'Always park all wheels on the roadway, not on the verge or path. This includes cars, trailers, boats, caravans etc. Also, ensure you are parallel to the road in the correct direction of travel.'

Key Takeaways

• A NSW driver has been fined $283 for inadvertently parking on a council-owned nature strip.
  • The driver mistakenly believed they were penalised for the wheels of their car touching the kerb, but they were fined for parking on the nature strip, not their own grass.
  • New South Wales road rules state that parking a vehicle on footpaths and nature strips is against the law, even if there is no pedestrian path present.
  • Similar road laws are in effect in South Australia, Queensland, and Victoria, indicating that parking on the grass outside your property, if past your boundary line, could result in fines.

It's a good reminder for all of us to be extra vigilant when it comes to parking, especially if we're unfamiliar with the area or can't recall what the rules are.

To be on the safe side, it's always best to err on the side of caution and keep your wheels where you’re sure they’re allowed to be. And anyway, leaving your car parked on grass is going to damage it more than you think—the soft soil isn't good for your tyres or wheels in the long term!

It would be remiss of us not to say that this article should not be taken as legal advice, so if you have burning questions concerning actual matters, we strongly urge contacting relevant local authorities.

What do you think of this story, folks? Have you ever found yourself unintentionally on the wrong side of the road when it comes to parking? Feel free to share your experiences with us in the comments below! We'd love to hear your tales of parking misadventures.
Yes, that has always been a no-no but lots of people still do it, but I don't think it really worries the Police, maybe this one was a new diligent Constable doing his job properly😊😊

Reactions: terri and Jennylolo
I used to park on the nature strip ( as I had seen many others do the same) in front of my daughter's home in Chatswood well away from any public areas over 25 years ago as I drove from Katoomba and found there were never any street parking places in front or at the rear lane where they had access to their single garage and was fined about the same amount then. Never again I had to unload my car in the lane and then find a park a distance away or we shuffled cars in the driveway.

Reactions: Jennylolo
Yes, that has always been a no-no but lots of people still do it, but I don't think it really worries the Police, maybe this one was a new diligent Constable doing his job properly😊😊
This fine was not issued by the NSW Police Force, but by the local council parking officers, as per the ticket shown. In the article reference is made to "The Northern Beaches Council’s parking guide ........."

View attachment 25045

Key Takeaways

Nothing new about it. You either park totally within the private property line, or out on the street, close and parallel to the kerb or otherwise as directed by whatever signage is there. No half-measures.

People just have to understand that the grass verge is NOT part of their property. Likewise, those selfish parkers who think it is OK to have half their car on the pavement causing issues for pedestrians (who always have right of way by the way) - people with prams, with walking aids, with pets, with children, with mobility problems, with sight or low vision or perfectly healthy people who don't want to mix it with the traffic - should always be heavily fined for doing so. If people don't know these things they should not be on the road in charge of a vehicle at all, ever!

View attachment 25045

Key Takeaways

I park on the nature strip as the road is narrow go dobbed into the council the bloke visited told me I couldn't park there so I looked up the rules measured from the gutter (I live on a corner)marked the road parked my car and another car opposite when the garbage 🗑 truck came around to do the bins they weren't happy but they were parked legally (told the shire bloke what I was going to do he said I didn't have to do that but I proved the point) the road's narrow and been parking on the nature strip for more than 20 years all because of an old cow having a whinge to my sons mate one month later parking back on the nature strip

Reactions: terri
The Police do not usually issue Parking Fines, they are Council Fines. And there are many reasons for such fines, including obstructing council workers or damaging access to verges, kerbs. There are other 'sneaky' fines such as parking in your driveway, but across the footpath, or parking on the street but in front of your own driveway. And, just because some people don't know the rule, or don't agree with the rules, doesn't mean that they can do as they want and not get a fine. N

Reactions: Defiant540
People just have to understand that the grass verge is NOT part of their property. Likewise, those selfish parkers who think it is OK to have half their car on the pavement causing issues for pedestrians (who always have right of way by the way) - people with prams, with walking aids, with pets, with children, with mobility problems, with sight or low vision or perfectly healthy people who don't want to mix it with the traffic - should always be heavily fined for doing so. If people don't know these things they should not be on the road in charge of a vehicle at all, ever!
I was about to say that- definitely not his property!

Likewise another often not well known, is parking on the wrong side of the street making your driver's door open to the footpath. It has to open to the road.

Reactions: KSS
Likewise another often not well known, is parking on the wrong side of the street making your driver's door open to the footpath. It has to open to the road.
Unless it is a one-way street and parking is permissible on both sides of the road! 🙂

Unless it is a one-way street and parking is permissible on both sides of the road! 🙂
happens all the time in my street. But about 20 years ago I was pinged for doing this at the end of the street which ended in a culled sac. I was in the cut de sac as were homeowners.

Thank goodness I live in Western Australia where we can park on the verges. The parking bays in the street are often taken, especially by students from a nearby private school! Our visitors can park on the verge as well. I do prefer to keep off the street where possible. A friend was parked in our street and was side-swiped by a driver dodging a cat.

• Sad
I park on the nature strip as the road is narrow go dobbed into the council the bloke visited told me I couldn't park there so I looked up the rules measured from the gutter (I live on a corner)marked the road parked my car and another car opposite when the garbage 🗑 truck came around to do the bins they weren't happy but they were parked legally (told the shire bloke what I was going to do he said I didn't have to do that but I proved the point) the road's narrow and been parking on the nature strip for more than 20 years all because of an old cow having a whinge to my sons mate one month later parking back on the nature strip
Is there an English-language translation available?

• Haha
If councils want to claim ownership of the naturestrip then they also should have the responsibility to maintain their property by properly mowing & whippersnipping on a regular basis. This is not the responsibility of the home owners.

Your land stops at your fence line, it does not include the footpath. That is council property. I do somewhat agree that they should/could perhaps maintain it but what would our rates fees be then? Councils would have to employ so many more mowing people & we would be paying the price in increased rates. How long does it take one to mow a fairly narrow strip of grass on the footpath outside your house when you are already spending the better part of at least half an hour to mow inside your fence line, 10 minutes perhaps. Rather mow the small footpath area than pay the extra in rates for council to employ hundreds of staff to do that job all over the cities.

Reactions: terri
If councils want to claim ownership of the naturestrip then they also should have the responsibility to maintain their property by properly mowing & whippersnipping on a regular basis. This is not the responsibility of the home owners.
No it is not the homeowner's responsibility to take care of the nature strip. In fact, if you planted something there the council can make you remove it and you can be fined - at least in my local area.

Reactions: Helenmac
With modern housing developments growing quickly, the roads on these estates are narrow. Barely allowing cars to pass each other safely, so when you add parking on the street and not the nature strip, there is potential for an accident. I think most councils look the other way because then the home owner can park safely, the garbage trucks can move freely and the home owner is happy to maintain the nature strip. It is better to be considerate than strong handed. But this will never please 100% of people.