Beware of this latest PayPal invoice scam!

Staying informed about current events can sometimes be challenging, especially when staying vigilant against the latest online scams.

Recently, the National Anti-Scam Centre (NASC) took to its social media channels to raise awareness about a phishing scam that attempts to deceive victims by posing as an official PayPal invoice.

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 1.37.04 PM.png
An example of a current PayPal scam email. Credit: NASC.

How does this scam operate? According to NASC, individuals have been receiving emails that appear to be from 'PayPal'. These emails contain invoices indicating unpaid amounts and even provide a fraudulent phone number to call to reverse the charge.

At the bottom of the invoice, an option allows the recipient to click a link if they don't recognise the invoice and wish to report it. However, clicking on any of the links in the email can pose risks to the recipient.

The NASC provided an example of a scam email they encountered. In the displayed email, it said: 'Hello, Hello, PayPal user You've Sent $689.00 to Sainsbury's eGift Card. Call +61 860 073 601 to reverse a transfer.'

It's important to note that the phone number provided is not associated with PayPal. Additionally, the invoice attached to the email falsely indicated a payment of $689.

The NASC advises that if you receive a similar email, refrain from calling the provided phone number or clicking on any links. Their recommended action is to disregard, delete, and block the email.

PayPal warns its users that these phishing emails can be persuasive. They might appear to come from a source that seems trustworthy, like 'PayPal Service', but PayPal wants you to be cautious if something feels off.

Here are a few things to watch out for:
  1. Check the sender's email address: Even if the email claims to be from PayPal, look at the email address it's coming from. Be wary if it doesn't match what you'd expect from PayPal.
  2. Personalised greetings: Legitimate PayPal emails will address you by your registered first and last names or your business name. Be suspicious of emails that use generic greetings like 'Dear user'.
  3. Appearance matters: Be cautious if the email contains incorrect logos, outdated design elements, or looks out of place. These could be signs that something isn't right.
  4. Urgent or upsetting language: Phishing emails often try to pressure you into immediate action. Be cautious if an email demands urgent attention, asks for personal or financial information, or uses bad grammar.
  5. Hover before you click: Before clicking any links in the email, hover your cursor over them. This reveals the true destination of the link. Some phishing emails might have legitimate links but lead to fraudulent websites.
If you ever receive an email that you suspect might be a phishing attempt, you can help by forwarding it to PayPal's dedicated phishing inbox: [email protected]. Staying vigilant and following these steps can help you protect yourself from potential scams.

Key Takeaways

• The National Anti-Scam Centre (NASC), run by the federal government, has warned Australians of a new PayPal scam involving fake invoices sent via email.
  • These phishing emails contain fake invoices with unpaid amounts and a false phone number intended to bait victims into calling.
  • If the email is received, the NASC advises not to click any links or call the number. The email should be ignored, deleted, and blocked.
  • If suspicious, PayPal users are urged to forward the email to [email protected]. PayPal also advises users to always hover over a link before clicking on it to verify its legitimacy.

Remember, you have the power to shield yourself and your loved ones from phishing scams. Stay watchful and never dial any unfamiliar numbers, regardless of how authentic the email appears! Always prioritise your online safety.

Here at the SDC, we also provide a platform called the Scam Watch forum. This serves as a valuable resource to keep members updated on the most recent instances of scams, fraud cases, and related news.

Members, have you come across emails resembling these? How did you handle them? If you have additional insights and suggestions, we welcome you to share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Just received an email from " NetBank notifications " advising me that I have an important message and to " log on " and check in box.
I realise that it is difficult to trace these bloody idiots - but come on Government - help us - if you can
Further to my posting - went to the bank and queried the email - checked, all ok, was from the bank, so, I was wrong but happy I checked up.

I use PayPal all the time, never had any issues with it, recently I have had these emails I don’t click on them just delete, sick of all these scams lately, even when someone rings on your phone if I don’t know the number I don’t answer and just block the number but they ring back with a different number
Don't DELETE send it to PayPal via this link [email protected]. So they can check this out and report this.

Reactions: siameezer
I have given up on contacting the authorities re scam i just put the phone down and go about my business and they disappear . although I always accept the electricity co's because they are genuine and rudely annoying, so I just accept their offer and when the next one rings I accept that one also I've tried ringing the elect. co s but they pass the buck and say its not them. So I will just accept all and sign nothing and denial (just like them)

My partner and I were both PayPal users. One day we had an email to ask my partner for 100 Points ID to be sent to PayPal to verify if he was a genuine person. Unfortunately my partner has an extremely common name. We contacted PayPal through their web site to question why.
We sent his licence to PayPal but we refused to send any more ID over the net.
Believe it or not, PayPal cancelled his account, Which I find disgusting because of a common name. He told them if they wanted to see if he was genuine person send someone to the address and check for themselves. I still have my account as we will not by anything over the net without it.

Staying informed about current events can sometimes be challenging, especially when staying vigilant against the latest online scams.

Recently, the National Anti-Scam Centre (NASC) took to its social media channels to raise awareness about a phishing scam that attempts to deceive victims by posing as an official PayPal invoice.

View attachment 27047

How does this scam operate? According to NASC, individuals have been receiving emails that appear to be from 'PayPal'. These emails contain invoices indicating unpaid amounts and even provide a fraudulent phone number to call to reverse the charge.

At the bottom of the invoice, an option allows the recipient to click a link if they don't recognise the invoice and wish to report it. However, clicking on any of the links in the email can pose risks to the recipient.

The NASC provided an example of a scam email they encountered. In the displayed email, it said: 'Hello, Hello, PayPal user You've Sent $689.00 to Sainsbury's eGift Card. Call +61 860 073 601 to reverse a transfer.'

It's important to note that the phone number provided is not associated with PayPal. Additionally, the invoice attached to the email falsely indicated a payment of $689.

The NASC advises that if you receive a similar email, refrain from calling the provided phone number or clicking on any links. Their recommended action is to disregard, delete, and block the email.

PayPal warns its users that these phishing emails can be persuasive. They might appear to come from a source that seems trustworthy, like 'PayPal Service', but PayPal wants you to be cautious if something feels off.

1. Check the sender's email address: Even if the email claims to be from PayPal, look at the email address it's coming from. Be wary if it doesn't match what you'd expect from PayPal.
  2. Personalised greetings: Legitimate PayPal emails will address you by your registered first and last names or your business name. Be suspicious of emails that use generic greetings like 'Dear user'.
  3. Appearance matters: Be cautious if the email contains incorrect logos, outdated design elements, or looks out of place. These could be signs that something isn't right.
  4. Urgent or upsetting language: Phishing emails often try to pressure you into immediate action. Be cautious if an email demands urgent attention, asks for personal or financial information, or uses bad grammar.
  5. Hover before you click: Before clicking any links in the email, hover your cursor over them. This reveals the true destination of the link. Some phishing emails might have legitimate links but lead to fraudulent websites.
If you ever receive an email that you suspect might be a phishing attempt, you can help by forwarding it to PayPal's dedicated phishing inbox: [email protected]. Staying vigilant and following these steps can help you protect yourself from potential scams.

Key Takeaways

• The National Anti-Scam Centre (NASC), run by the federal government, has warned Australians of a new PayPal scam involving fake invoices sent via email.
  • These phishing emails contain fake invoices with unpaid amounts and a false phone number intended to bait victims into calling.
  • If the email is received, the NASC advises not to click any links or call the number. The email should be ignored, deleted, and blocked.
  • If suspicious, PayPal users are urged to forward the email to [email protected]. PayPal also advises users to always hover over a link before clicking on it to verify its legitimacy.

Remember, you have the power to shield yourself and your loved ones from phishing scams. Stay watchful and never dial any unfamiliar numbers, regardless of how authentic the email appears! Always prioritise your online safety.

Here at the SDC, we also provide a platform called the Scam Watch forum. This serves as a valuable resource to keep members updated on the most recent instances of scams, fraud cases, and related news.

Members, have you come across emails resembling these? How did you handle them? If you have additional insights and suggestions, we welcome you to share your thoughts in the comments section below!
I have been with paypal for years and twice over those years i have had fraud BUT paypal have always fixed the problem. How many times does one have to be told DO NOT OPEN. give me a break.

Reactions: siameezer
My partner and I were both PayPal users. One day we had an email to ask my partner for 100 Points ID to be sent to PayPal to verify if he was a genuine person. Unfortunately my partner has an extremely common name. We contacted PayPal through their web site to question why.
We sent his licence to PayPal but we refused to send any more ID over the net.
Believe it or not, PayPal cancelled his account, Which I find disgusting because of a common name. He told them if they wanted to see if he was genuine person send someone to the address and check for themselves. I still have my account as we will not by anything over the net without it.
Please do not ever give your licence number to anyone and I mean anyone. We had a fraud due to a robbery and lost licences plus heaps more which lasted for over 6 months. The licences were replaced with the same numbers. We had to go through the police to change our numbers. The fraus still carried on so that showed us that companies do not check the licence numbers given to them as ours were deleted. The police were useless. Something I never wish to go through again. I feel I cried for 6 months.

I have been using Paypal for years, they are extremely trustworthy.
Also i never ever click on anything through an email... I always go through my account with them on the internet... much safer way to check anything out... Not just Paypal, but other companies and banks

Reactions: Abby2

View attachment 27047

Key Takeaways

I have been receiving emails from paypal saying that I have won a $1000 gift voucher. Reported them as a scam.
I got one today from PayPal saying I have a $500 voucher from Coles. Just click here and answer the question. Yeah. Nah!

Why do we continually have to earn stupid people?
if you fall for any scam you are a fool!
Simple: DO NOT click any link on any email until you have confirmed it validity direct from the so called provider with a simple phone call to that provider.
A fool and their money are easily parted!
Mate I've been saying this all along, Hello is anyone listening???
Just let it go, if they " the uneducated" continue they have only themselves to blame !!
Getting so tired of Twits losing money WAKE UP AND THINK!!!

Reactions: BruceC and Leenie

View attachment 27047

Key Takeaways

I received an email from PayPal today with a number to phone if I wanted to stop this particular payment and I thought that I would leave it until after I had finished reading the rest of my emails. I'm glad I did because then I read your information.
patsut

Mate I've been saying this all along, Hello is anyone listening???
Just let it go, if they " the uneducated" continue they have only themselves to blame !!
Getting so tired of Twits losing money WAKE UP AND THINK!!!
I agree with you. It gets to the point when you think "well, more fool them". You can talk and talk and talk but people will just do as they wish. I just do not click on any links in anything unsolicited. As you say "think" before you click a "link"!

Reactions: WendyJE @icloud.com
I even had two phone calls asking me for the amount of $44 on the invoice and threatened to report me to the ATO 🤣😂 I told them go ahead as this call is being recorded anyway. Heard nothing since but I did report it to PayPal.

I even had two phone calls asking me for the amount of $44 on the invoice and threatened to report me to the ATO 🤣😂 I told them go ahead as this call is being recorded anyway. Heard nothing since but I did report it to PayPal.
Some of those scammers are not the "sharpest tools in the shed" LOL

View attachment 27047

Key Takeaways

Yes,I've seen this PayPal one, but knew it was a scam, because that's nothing like the invoices I receive from them. It was blocked and deleted. PayPal, support enough scammers on their own, they don't need this too.

View attachment 27047

Key Takeaways

I have also had a phone call saying they were from Paypal and I promptly hung up. It was only the one and a male Asian voice.