Beware: New Text Scam Targets Australia Post Customers

Are you waiting for a parcel delivery from Australia Post? If your answer is ‘yes’, it’s time to be vigilant, dear members!

There’s a new text scam specifically targeting Australia Post customers, and we’re here to ensure you don’t fall prey to it.

This scam is sneakier than a dingo in the dark, with scammers sending text messages that cleverly imitate legitimate messages advising Aussies that their parcel couldn't be delivered.

The texts include a convincing preview link that could easily fool people into thinking they would be redirected to an Australia Post help page, where they can reschedule delivery or arrange a pick-up.

compressed-2e010e782ebfd60b6210eb2089c5f61e26ec02c8.jpeg
The fraudulent text message contains a deceptive link that appears to direct users to the official Australia Post website. Source: Reddit

According to a discussion started on the social media platform Reddit, a family member was awaiting an international delivery but had not been given a tracking number, which made it challenging to verify the delivery status.

They suddenly received the dubious texts and were sceptical of their authenticity.

They shared, ‘A family member has been expecting a delivery from overseas. However, they were not provided with a tracking number by the sender, so it makes it quite hard to keep on top of. They have received the two messages below, which I’m thinking are fake.’

It didn't take much time for other Reddit users to confirm the messages were indeed a cruel trick.

They pointed out that the website address given in the text didn't match Australia Post's official website.

compressed-69ca86b1884320782da4d65377e35cbc891b440b-16x9-x0y0w1304h734.jpeg
To avoid scam text messages, exercise caution and refrain from clicking on suspicious links or sharing personal information with unknown senders. Source: Reddit

One commented, ‘I got that exact message early today at 11 am ... I haven’t bought anything in months. They are scams.’

Australia Post made it clear that they would never ask customers to 'click on an email link to print off a label to redeem your package', as stated on their official website.

They also caution you to be wary of any calls, texts, or emails asking for payment, passwords, credit card details, or account information.

More than 133,000 scams have been reported in Australia this year, with an alarming 10.8 per cent of those leading to monetary losses for the unfortunate victims.

This isn't the first time, either. Australia Post warned folks about another scam not long ago, where scammers asked customers to pay a nominal fee to reschedule delivery.

'We’re seeing a greater public awareness of scams and cybersecurity, however, we encourage customers to be aware of how to spot a scam, including looking for a non-Australia Post web address and unusual sense of urgency.' a spokesperson advised.

If you come across a text message or email that looks suspicious and seems to be from Australia Post, please report it immediately to [email protected] and delete it right away.

Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post customers are being alerted to a new scam, where they are asked via text to organise alternative package delivery arrangements.
  • The scam text messages mimic official communications from courier companies, duping customers into thinking they will be redirected to an Australia Post help page.
  • Over this year, more than 133,000 scams have been reported to Australian authorities, with about 10.8 per cent resulting in financial losses.
  • Australia Post encourages customers to be aware of these scams and report any suspicious texts or emails that purport to be from them to [email protected].

So, be alert, be sceptical, and keep your hard-earned money where it belongs—in your pocket!

Members, how do you personally ensure your safety and avoid falling victim to scams? Share your insights, tips, and strategies with us so that we can collectively navigate this landscape with greater awareness and security.

Sponsored
If I wasn't sure I would either ring my local post office or call in. 😀

One of the issues with AusPost scams are that they use AusPost's phone number.

Are you waiting for a parcel delivery from Australia Post? If your answer is ‘yes’, it’s time to be vigilant, dear members!

There’s a new text scam specifically targeting Australia Post customers, and we’re here to ensure you don’t fall prey to it.

This scam is sneakier than a dingo in the dark, with scammers sending text messages that cleverly imitate legitimate messages advising Aussies that their parcel couldn't be delivered.

The texts include a convincing preview link that could easily fool people into thinking they would be redirected to an Australia Post help page, where they can reschedule delivery or arrange a pick-up.

View attachment 24272
The fraudulent text message contains a deceptive link that appears to direct users to the official Australia Post website. Source: Reddit

According to a discussion started on the social media platform Reddit, a family member was awaiting an international delivery but had not been given a tracking number, which made it challenging to verify the delivery status.

They suddenly received the dubious texts and were sceptical of their authenticity.

They shared, ‘A family member has been expecting a delivery from overseas. However, they were not provided with a tracking number by the sender, so it makes it quite hard to keep on top of. They have received the two messages below, which I’m thinking are fake.’

It didn't take much time for other Reddit users to confirm the messages were indeed a cruel trick.

They pointed out that the website address given in the text didn't match Australia Post's official website.

View attachment 24274
To avoid scam text messages, exercise caution and refrain from clicking on suspicious links or sharing personal information with unknown senders. Source: Reddit

One commented, ‘I got that exact message early today at 11 am ... I haven’t bought anything in months. They are scams.’

Australia Post made it clear that they would never ask customers to 'click on an email link to print off a label to redeem your package', as stated on their official website.

They also caution you to be wary of any calls, texts, or emails asking for payment, passwords, credit card details, or account information.

More than 133,000 scams have been reported in Australia this year, with an alarming 10.8 per cent of those leading to monetary losses for the unfortunate victims.

This isn't the first time, either. Australia Post warned folks about another scam not long ago, where scammers asked customers to pay a nominal fee to reschedule delivery.

'We’re seeing a greater public awareness of scams and cybersecurity, however, we encourage customers to be aware of how to spot a scam, including looking for a non-Australia Post web address and unusual sense of urgency.' a spokesperson advised.

If you come across a text message or email that looks suspicious and seems to be from Australia Post, please report it immediately to [email protected] and delete it right away.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post customers are being alerted to a new scam, where they are asked via text to organise alternative package delivery arrangements.
  • The scam text messages mimic official communications from courier companies, duping customers into thinking they will be redirected to an Australia Post help page.
  • Over this year, more than 133,000 scams have been reported to Australian authorities, with about 10.8 per cent resulting in financial losses.
  • Australia Post encourages customers to be aware of these scams and report any suspicious texts or emails that purport to be from them to [email protected].

So, be alert, be sceptical, and keep your hard-earned money where it belongs—in your pocket!

Members, how do you personally ensure your safety and avoid falling victim to scams? Share your insights, tips, and strategies with us so that we can collectively navigate this landscape with greater awareness and security.
I’ve been getting those for a long time. Nothing new

View attachment 24272

View attachment 24274

Key Takeaways

If you get A message like this and there is no tracking. number or even adress how do they get your phone number Australia post sending a text message No if they miss you they leave a card in your mail box and it is tracked through the app but there is no physical adress

Agreed that it is a scam. But wondering what do they get out of it. No payment is demanded?
The links either hack into your phone or computer thus getting personal deets, which can be used for identity fraud, or accessing bank accounts etc. The scams aren't all about directly gaining access to money. There's a market for fake ids or your personal info to be used for various fraudulent activities.
Also, if you are called up by a suss caller hangup immediately. Whilst keeping you talking they can actually hack into your phone. Again Gaining access to your personal deets.
Also check bank statements once a month for any suss activity. I have twice picked up fraudulent transactions, once for a larger amount, but not enough to rouse immediate alarm. I reported it to my bank and was reimbursed in 24 hrs. The company that I had never had any dealings with, and in fact didn't even exist! even had an ABN number etc. Always be viligant these days.

Last edited:
If there are any parcels they can"t deliver, they put a card in the letterbox to say you can pick it up the next day from your local PO.
Exactly right. I also get a card in my letterbox and pick up the goods. This has been the case for years. Never had a problem

Thx Australia Post Scams comes as no surprise I have had a couple but knew they were a scam as a couple of things they put in their Tx./E - M is a dead giveaway.. One has to check for each one being genuine these days.. stay alert Folks.

It is better to just delete these emails as if you click on them or reply this could then give them access to your computer. Who knows what these scammers can do? I just delete it.
I was always told by computer shops that by clicking anything they the scammers say in the email could be a way they plant a virus etc onto your computer.

On some scams if you read them closely english words used are pretty basic and phrases used not written well,also some scams come in too quickly after first one. I'm lucky I have PO Box so I get messages in there,they never leave that amount of info just to call in.I think intuition plays a good part that you know what you are receiving is not kosher and it certainly doesn't sound right

View attachment 24272

View attachment 24274

Key Takeaways

View attachment 24272

View attachment 24274

Key Takeaways

i have been getting mobile recorded from aus post, only thing is not english then they go off in chinese, who would be taken in by that, bloody annoying.

I get these scams almost daily some up to several times recently had one with AFP warni.ngif I did not comply with request would be arrested and jailed also from Telstra claiming could not process my payment both had the emblems . I am not with Telstra . Delete them . I cloud is another that persists. Surely the gov. Can do something about these annoying pests if they could with telcos I don’t see why not.

View attachment 24272

View attachment 24274

Key Takeaways

I don't click on links in texts or emails. I delete texts if a company sends them even. Most emails from companies go to the SPAM folder unless i have white-listed the companies email address. If i get a email from a company i just go to the site by typing it in and i look up the info that was in the email myself.
Had a email in the SPAM folder today that looked like it was from JB HI-FI but when i hovered on the sender the address it came from showed it was from some guy i'd never heard of that had nothing to do with JB Hi-Fi at all and it was a gmail address it came from - i didn't open it i just deleted it with the rest of the SPAM as it wasn't a real email. unfortunately i deleted it before i could take a copy of it's line.

I have been receiving messages regarding a Parcel ( which I know I am NOT expecting )
They even supply a TRACKING NBR. … yes the messages have been deleted..

Reactions: Littleboy8
I have been receiving messages regarding a Parcel ( which I know I am NOT expecting )
They even supply a TRACKING NBR. … yes the messages have been deleted..
I’ve been getting those I just delete them also pain in butt.😊

another one that has poked its head up again and doing the rounds again is the phone text one saying you have a medicare refund. and requesting you to click on the link, don't do it. it is best to contact the nearest office (post office or medicare etc) either personally ore find their phone number in a phone book and call them

Reactions: Littleboy8
I had one about an hour ago, saying my Netflix membership has run out. I don't have a Netflix membership, in the bin.