Beware: New Text Scam Targets Australia Post Customers

Are you waiting for a parcel delivery from Australia Post? If your answer is ‘yes’, it’s time to be vigilant, dear members!

There’s a new text scam specifically targeting Australia Post customers, and we’re here to ensure you don’t fall prey to it.

This scam is sneakier than a dingo in the dark, with scammers sending text messages that cleverly imitate legitimate messages advising Aussies that their parcel couldn't be delivered.

The texts include a convincing preview link that could easily fool people into thinking they would be redirected to an Australia Post help page, where they can reschedule delivery or arrange a pick-up.

compressed-2e010e782ebfd60b6210eb2089c5f61e26ec02c8.jpeg
The fraudulent text message contains a deceptive link that appears to direct users to the official Australia Post website. Source: Reddit

According to a discussion started on the social media platform Reddit, a family member was awaiting an international delivery but had not been given a tracking number, which made it challenging to verify the delivery status.

They suddenly received the dubious texts and were sceptical of their authenticity.

They shared, ‘A family member has been expecting a delivery from overseas. However, they were not provided with a tracking number by the sender, so it makes it quite hard to keep on top of. They have received the two messages below, which I’m thinking are fake.’

It didn't take much time for other Reddit users to confirm the messages were indeed a cruel trick.

They pointed out that the website address given in the text didn't match Australia Post's official website.

compressed-69ca86b1884320782da4d65377e35cbc891b440b-16x9-x0y0w1304h734.jpeg
To avoid scam text messages, exercise caution and refrain from clicking on suspicious links or sharing personal information with unknown senders. Source: Reddit

One commented, ‘I got that exact message early today at 11 am ... I haven’t bought anything in months. They are scams.’

Australia Post made it clear that they would never ask customers to 'click on an email link to print off a label to redeem your package', as stated on their official website.

They also caution you to be wary of any calls, texts, or emails asking for payment, passwords, credit card details, or account information.

More than 133,000 scams have been reported in Australia this year, with an alarming 10.8 per cent of those leading to monetary losses for the unfortunate victims.

This isn't the first time, either. Australia Post warned folks about another scam not long ago, where scammers asked customers to pay a nominal fee to reschedule delivery.

'We’re seeing a greater public awareness of scams and cybersecurity, however, we encourage customers to be aware of how to spot a scam, including looking for a non-Australia Post web address and unusual sense of urgency.' a spokesperson advised.

If you come across a text message or email that looks suspicious and seems to be from Australia Post, please report it immediately to [email protected] and delete it right away.

Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post customers are being alerted to a new scam, where they are asked via text to organise alternative package delivery arrangements.
  • The scam text messages mimic official communications from courier companies, duping customers into thinking they will be redirected to an Australia Post help page.
  • Over this year, more than 133,000 scams have been reported to Australian authorities, with about 10.8 per cent resulting in financial losses.
  • Australia Post encourages customers to be aware of these scams and report any suspicious texts or emails that purport to be from them to [email protected].

So, be alert, be sceptical, and keep your hard-earned money where it belongs—in your pocket!

Members, how do you personally ensure your safety and avoid falling victim to scams? Share your insights, tips, and strategies with us so that we can collectively navigate this landscape with greater awareness and security.

Sponsored
I also ordered a small parcel from US and next day received an email from
FedExDeliv <[email protected]>

Package Delivery Notification

Delivery Suspended

Tracking ID# 1Z058210696213283

Package will be returned in 24 Hours

Confirm Address

My thought was how fast is my parcel going to be delivered from US. DELETED.

Reactions: Marj53
Last week I had one of these texts arrive saying my package could not be delivered and to click on the link, etc. Coincidentally, the package I had ordered arrived the same morning!

Be aware that these scam notices do not contain identifying information. They generally start with "Dear Customer" or no reference at all. If there is any factual basis, they would use the name and address of the person to whom this "package" has been sent. Of course, the question remains as to how anyone would obtain your mobile phone number for the text when all they have is the name and address on this mythical package. Simply delete any message of this kind. If you want to check, ask at your post office.

The bottom line is that if a message or email does not contain your name and identifying details, delete it.

Are you waiting for a parcel delivery from Australia Post? If your answer is ‘yes’, it’s time to be vigilant, dear members!

There’s a new text scam specifically targeting Australia Post customers, and we’re here to ensure you don’t fall prey to it.

This scam is sneakier than a dingo in the dark, with scammers sending text messages that cleverly imitate legitimate messages advising Aussies that their parcel couldn't be delivered.

The texts include a convincing preview link that could easily fool people into thinking they would be redirected to an Australia Post help page, where they can reschedule delivery or arrange a pick-up.

View attachment 24272
The fraudulent text message contains a deceptive link that appears to direct users to the official Australia Post website. Source: Reddit

According to a discussion started on the social media platform Reddit, a family member was awaiting an international delivery but had not been given a tracking number, which made it challenging to verify the delivery status.

They suddenly received the dubious texts and were sceptical of their authenticity.

They shared, ‘A family member has been expecting a delivery from overseas. However, they were not provided with a tracking number by the sender, so it makes it quite hard to keep on top of. They have received the two messages below, which I’m thinking are fake.’

It didn't take much time for other Reddit users to confirm the messages were indeed a cruel trick.

They pointed out that the website address given in the text didn't match Australia Post's official website.

View attachment 24274
To avoid scam text messages, exercise caution and refrain from clicking on suspicious links or sharing personal information with unknown senders. Source: Reddit

One commented, ‘I got that exact message early today at 11 am ... I haven’t bought anything in months. They are scams.’

Australia Post made it clear that they would never ask customers to 'click on an email link to print off a label to redeem your package', as stated on their official website.

They also caution you to be wary of any calls, texts, or emails asking for payment, passwords, credit card details, or account information.

More than 133,000 scams have been reported in Australia this year, with an alarming 10.8 per cent of those leading to monetary losses for the unfortunate victims.

This isn't the first time, either. Australia Post warned folks about another scam not long ago, where scammers asked customers to pay a nominal fee to reschedule delivery.

'We’re seeing a greater public awareness of scams and cybersecurity, however, we encourage customers to be aware of how to spot a scam, including looking for a non-Australia Post web address and unusual sense of urgency.' a spokesperson advised.

If you come across a text message or email that looks suspicious and seems to be from Australia Post, please report it immediately to [email protected] and delete it right away.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post customers are being alerted to a new scam, where they are asked via text to organise alternative package delivery arrangements.
  • The scam text messages mimic official communications from courier companies, duping customers into thinking they will be redirected to an Australia Post help page.
  • Over this year, more than 133,000 scams have been reported to Australian authorities, with about 10.8 per cent resulting in financial losses.
  • Australia Post encourages customers to be aware of these scams and report any suspicious texts or emails that purport to be from them to [email protected].

So, be alert, be sceptical, and keep your hard-earned money where it belongs—in your pocket!

Members, how do you personally ensure your safety and avoid falling victim to scams? Share your insights, tips, and strategies with us so that we can collectively navigate this landscape with greater awareness and security.

Reactions: 68autobug
Last week I had one of these texts arrive saying my package could not be delivered and to click on the link, etc. Coincidentally, the package I had ordered arrived the same morning!

Be aware that these scam notices do not contain identifying information. They generally start with "Dear Customer" or no reference at all. If there is any factual basis, they would use the name and address of the person to whom this "package" has been sent. Of course, the question remains as to how anyone would obtain your mobile phone number for the text when all they have is the name and address on this mythical package. Simply delete any message of this kind. If you want to check, ask at your post office.

The bottom line is that if a message or email does not contain your name and identifying details, delete it.
EXACTLY!!!

Reactions: Marj53
Agreed that it is a scam. But wondering what do they get out of it. No payment is demanded?

I too have had these messages.
The first sign it is a scam is the web address does not end in ".com.au". All Australia post sites end in .com.au

Reactions: Jennie
They bother in case you have forgotten
Just like the Trolls of the bloody Russian Federation who are too stupid to understand the brainwashing and those amongst people in Australia who will believe anything against the govt

Reactions: Beeno & Deb
I too have had these messages.
The first sign it is a scam is the web address does not end in ".com.au". All Australia post sites end in .com.au
Not all - some Aus web addresses end in .com - however if you click on the name eg: austpost in the header you will see who has really sent it. My husband received an email supposedly from Skymesh re: our account - I had a look at it and clicked on Skymesh and up came and address in Canada.

yeah, got the same text here, SCAM, if there is a delivery that requires a signature a card will be left advising for you to colect , if no signature is required then the delivery should be left in safe place/ there would be no "second attempt to deliver"

As there is official Auspost apps, just use these and delete any texts.... If there are official apps I will only use those and ignore/delete any SMS messages. Too easy!

Reactions: Leanne D and Jennie
I also had this text sent to me. If you click on it you are sent to website asking for small fee to arrange a delivery. You asked for credit card details. I had ordered a piece of camera equipment and paid vis PayPal. I thought the price they were asking was very cheap. I never received any receipt and my PayPal confirmation had several sentences written in Chinese. I have also noticed that the website that I had ordered the equipment frequently changes it name.I strongly suspect that the website and the scam are connected.

I have had these as well. Look at the logo check it aagainst the post office, check any spelling mistakes, if like me you are still suspicious and think that it is a dodgy bros scam contact Aust Post who will tell you just like the did me that it was a scam. IT still holds true if in doubt, throw it out.
I recently recieved a txt saying if I didn't withdraw $300+ from our a/c within 24hrs I would lose it, the next day a txt from a second number saying could we please withdraw the amount of $3400 from our a/c within 24 hrs or we would lose it. We have never had that amount of money in any a/c. Scam delete it then delete the deleted.

View attachment 24272

View attachment 24274

Key Takeaways

I get these scam messages all the time I just reply and say I've already got it