SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
BEWARE: New text message scam targets Australian bank accounts

Just last week, we wrote an article about a new scheme that some scammers are using to lure unsuspecting victims.

The scammers allegedly use the identities of Facebook users — whose accounts were compromised or hacked — to send messages to contacts through the chat app Messenger.

Now, it seems that the scammers have gone not only online but off the internet as well. And this time, they’re targeting bank account owners.

tEpzJvkiv6cO3pzguNRMwaLDupuRAJ6o2YXlnVX1pJGPS2OIp0HN87nskVxDVsMAi6pQDtfhPfOSfS99mtAGpyeD37bTz5ZdTyieQ9UdpFyDGcXuH89U8hz6iul3ljay2TPyoUH6

The scam sees Australians receive a text message along with a random link. Credit: ANZ, CommBank.
Major banks in Australia such as The Commonwealth Bank, ANZ, and NAB are all warning their customers about a new text message phishing scam that has been going around in the past few weeks.

These text messages are designed to trick bank account owners into thinking that their accounts are either “suspended” or “placed under review”. The victims receive a text message, containing a link where they will be asked to “update” their personal banking details.

According to an investigation led by Marc Broome from ANZ, the recent phishing scams are trying to make the links included in the text messages look as “legitimate” as possible, so that people are convinced to click them and enter their bank details.

He also warned customers about “phone spoofing” – where hackers will duplicate a message to make it look as real as possible. They will even send it in the same message thread, so it looks like it’s from the victim’s bank.

And once a person clicks on the link provided in the text message, they will be taken to a fake website to enter their banking details.

Once the hackers get a hold of the person’s information, they can use it to initiate transactions from the victim’s account. Worst case scenario, the hackers will drain the victim of his or her life savings.

mnknt168wk584e_MoRiNiC2S_YviCvQYZ6bxkqriCNghjHn1Wx1pF4IpCVM0uG3Ad-B5ItVhNy5GIObW6Az5X5-m88PkAIycQYszjRww_8puidlaGEXJXGcShQcgKpzTOIGP9LxZ

An example of a text message containing a suspicious link. Credit: 7News.

ANZ, NAB, CommBank, and Bendigo Bank have already issued a warning statement to their customers, advising them not to respond to or engage in any text messages regarding their bank account activity.

They also want their customers to know that bank employees will never email or message them to ask for personal information like passwords, PINs, or account details.

Phishing scams that are asking their victims to “click” a link are big these days, that’s why it’s important to know how to protect yourself against them.

Here are some warning signs to consider:

• The SMS, email or website looks fake or is not what you were expecting.
  • The email or website asks you to enter personal information such as usernames, passwords, or credit card details.
  • The email or website includes poor grammar or spelling mistakes.
  • The email or website asks you to click on a link.
  • The email or website asks you to download a file.
  • The email or website asks you to respond to an email.
  • The email or website includes an attachment.
To know more information on how to protect yourself against these types of cyber scams, check out one of our articles here.

Here we go again NEVER click on a link such as this delete and phone or go to your bank if you are concerned.
How often do we have to say it NEVER click on a link like this and also NEVER drive into flood waters no matter how well you think you know the road.
Stay safe and dry folks and have a good weekend

Just last week, we wrote an article about a new scheme that some scammers are using to lure unsuspecting victims.

The scammers allegedly use the identities of Facebook users — whose accounts were compromised or hacked — to send messages to contacts through the chat app Messenger.

Now, it seems that the scammers have gone not only online but off the internet as well. And this time, they’re targeting bank account owners.

tEpzJvkiv6cO3pzguNRMwaLDupuRAJ6o2YXlnVX1pJGPS2OIp0HN87nskVxDVsMAi6pQDtfhPfOSfS99mtAGpyeD37bTz5ZdTyieQ9UdpFyDGcXuH89U8hz6iul3ljay2TPyoUH6

The scam sees Australians receive a text message along with a random link. Credit: ANZ, CommBank.
Major banks in Australia such as The Commonwealth Bank, ANZ, and NAB are all warning their customers about a new text message phishing scam that has been going around in the past few weeks.

These text messages are designed to trick bank account owners into thinking that their accounts are either “suspended” or “placed under review”. The victims receive a text message, containing a link where they will be asked to “update” their personal banking details.

According to an investigation led by Marc Broome from ANZ, the recent phishing scams are trying to make the links included in the text messages look as “legitimate” as possible, so that people are convinced to click them and enter their bank details.

He also warned customers about “phone spoofing” – where hackers will duplicate a message to make it look as real as possible. They will even send it in the same message thread, so it looks like it’s from the victim’s bank.

And once a person clicks on the link provided in the text message, they will be taken to a fake website to enter their banking details.

Once the hackers get a hold of the person’s information, they can use it to initiate transactions from the victim’s account. Worst case scenario, the hackers will drain the victim of his or her life savings.

mnknt168wk584e_MoRiNiC2S_YviCvQYZ6bxkqriCNghjHn1Wx1pF4IpCVM0uG3Ad-B5ItVhNy5GIObW6Az5X5-m88PkAIycQYszjRww_8puidlaGEXJXGcShQcgKpzTOIGP9LxZ

ANZ, NAB, CommBank, and Bendigo Bank have already issued a warning statement to their customers, advising them not to respond to or engage in any text messages regarding their bank account activity.

They also want their customers to know that bank employees will never email or message them to ask for personal information like passwords, PINs, or account details.

Phishing scams that are asking their victims to “click” a link are big these days, that’s why it’s important to know how to protect yourself against them.

• The email or website asks you to enter personal information such as usernames, passwords, or credit card details.
To know more information on how to protect yourself against these types of cyber scams, check out one of our articles here.
Banks never have any sort of LINK on an email . They say please contact your local branch . NO LINKS !!

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
One of these "bank account" texts arrived on my phone a week ago. I deleted it without even reading more than the first few words. Be aware: banks never send texts to you about your account!! If you receive one, do not click on it. Do not reply to it. Delete it immediately. Protect yourself from the thieves and liars who are trying to scam you.

A few days ago, I received a phone call that was a recorded Australian-sounding voice ostensibly conversing with me. The sound had an echo quality about it. In the first part this recorded voice said he was offering a special on wine with 80% off. When I said I didn't need wine, there was a 2-second delay and then the voice replied that it was a pity because they had such good prices to offer. Clearly the answer was some kind of recorded reply targeted at my response. There was no sense of a conversation, just a series of recorded messages. I hung up at that point. Be aware of this recorded voice technology. This approach is designed to "sell" you stuff over the phone, enticing you to give your credit card details in payment. Of course, there will never be any goods at the end, just major losses from your bank account. Be aware: do not buy anything offered by an incoming phone call. Keep yourself safe from scammers.

Surely with so many stories of people being scammed we are all sensible enough to not go there. If it looks fishy then it most certainly is fishy. Never ever think "I'll just have a look in case" because they then have you in their grip and it is a grip that can ruin you.

I continually get emails from iinet and paypal telling me my account will be closed as I haven't payed my last bill, considering I don't have an account with either of them so never had a bill they are obviously phishing. My husband has accounts with both of them and has never had one of these emails, probably because he pays up on time.

For the last 12 months once a fortnight @ least, I get the same phone call telling me that "My delivery from such & such" comes to "X amount of dollars" & will be delivered tomorrow. I have NEVER dealt with this Company in my life. They even ring @ the most inopportune times that I have promised myself to pull the phone out of the wall, especially when you are elderly & slower on ones feet. Another one is a nuisance factor also. One picks up the phone & sickly laughter begins. Of course I hang up then when the phone rings again within minutes it just COULD be urgent within our family so ......you,ve guessed it, the hideous laugh again. It isn't funny when one is targeted with people who have nothing else to do but put fear into another human being....Your imagination runs wild & it doesn't take long before you think you are going bananas. Of course you don't tell your family. Heck no. Whatever would they think?????? Nan is REALLY off with the fairies. Can only hope the phone goes on annual leave tomorrow.............

A friend had a similar problem with nuisance calls on a landline phone in the days when not everyone had mobile phones that can block nuisance call numbers. I suggested she get an answering machine and let all her calls go to it. She could then return the genuine calls and weed out the nuisance calls. It worked. Whoever the nuisance psycho was, they gave up after a short while because they could not hear any reaction to their nasty calls.

If Esma Rose chooses to use an answering service on her landline phone, I suggest she gets a man to record a message with wording to this effect: "Calls to this phone number are monitored for offences under the federal Criminal Code. Offending calls will be reported to the police. If you wish to record a message, after the tone, please record your name and return phone number. You will receive a return call." Either the psycho will give up or Esma Rose can delete the message as soon as it starts, giving her back control over her phone. If she wishes, she can make a police report to establish a history.

Using the phone to threaten, harass, offend or commit a hoax are all offences under the Criminal Code, a schedule to the Commonwealth Crimes Act. Nobody should have to put up with creeps committing this kind of cowardly harassment against them. Let's give them a fright in return. When those nasty calls stop, it's time for a victory celebration!

For the last 12 months once a fortnight @ least, I get the same phone call telling me that "My delivery from such & such" comes to "X amount of dollars" & will be delivered tomorrow. I have NEVER dealt with this Company in my life. They even ring @ the most inopportune times that I have promised myself to pull the phone out of the wall, especially when you are elderly & slower on ones feet. Another one is a nuisance factor also. One picks up the phone & sickly laughter begins. Of course I hang up then when the phone rings again within minutes it just COULD be urgent within our family so ......you,ve guessed it, the hideous laugh again. It isn't funny when one is targeted with people who have nothing else to do but put fear into another human being....Your imagination runs wild & it doesn't take long before you think you are going bananas. Of course you don't tell your family. Heck no. Whatever would they think?????? Nan is REALLY off with the fairies. Can only hope the phone goes on annual leave tomorrow.............
Set up all your friends & families phone numbers with their names on your phone. When the phone rings for a call or message it will bring up the name. If it has no name ""Don't Answer it". DELETE IT. If it is a genuine call, tbe person will leave a message. Then you can check it out before returning the call. Most scammers will not leave a message. Good luck.