BEWARE: New online scam emerges on social media

In the digital age, scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and harder to spot.

One such scam that has recently emerged is targeting travellers, pretending to be associated with Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport.

This scam is circulating on social media platforms, particularly Facebook, and attempting to sell suitcases that were allegedly lost and left unclaimed at the airport for over six months.

'Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport sale lost luggage that has been in store for more than 6 months,' the scam post reads.

'According to the regulations it has to be disposed, but we have decided to sell it for just $3 each.'

SDC 3.png
A new online scam sells lost luggage for $3. Image source: Facebook.

The post then prompts users to click an 'order' button and fill out their personal details.

The scam is made more convincing with an accompanying image showing bags lined up at the airport, with a sign that reads 'Lost Luggage $3'.

To appear legitimate, the comments section of the scam post is also filled with fake accounts claiming they have placed orders and received suitcases filled with expensive clothes, electronics, and luxury items.

The scam attempts to link back to Sydney Airport, either having 'Sydney' or 'Kingsford Smith' in the title.

You can see a sample scam post below:

Source: Facebook/Luggage Department.

One such fake customer wrote, 'I’m not sure how it works, but all shoes are my size, other clothes a little bigger, but I don’t mind.'

'It's so great that instead of disposing of all this thing, they give it to the people at such a low price,' another fake customer added.

An airport spokesperson confirmed this is a scam and reported it to Facebook.

'We would urge everyone to stay vigilant to social media scams and only trust information from Sydney Airport’s official verified accounts,' the spokesperson reiterated.

While it's true that Sydney Airport does hold lost property auctions for unclaimed luggage, the proceeds from these auctions are donated to charity.

It is understood that the airport does not sell unclaimed luggage for $3 on social media platforms.
Key Takeaways

• Travellers are being warned about a new scam claiming to sell lost luggage from Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport for $3.
  • The scam is circulating on social media, with posts containing fake testimonials and photos to entice potential victims.
  • Sydney Airport has confirmed the scam and reported it to Facebook, They also advised people to only trust information from the airport's official verified accounts.
Remember, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Stay vigilant and protect yourself from online scams.

Have you encountered any online scams recently? Share your experiences in the comments below to help raise awareness and protect others.

Sponsored
In the digital age, scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and harder to spot.

One such scam that has recently emerged is targeting travellers, pretending to be associated with Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport.

This scam is circulating on social media platforms, particularly Facebook, and attempting to sell suitcases that were allegedly lost and left unclaimed at the airport for over six months.

'Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport sale lost luggage that has been in store for more than 6 months,' the scam post reads.

'According to the regulations it has to be disposed, but we have decided to sell it for just $3 each.'

View attachment 38458

The post then prompts users to click an 'order' button and fill out their personal details.

The scam is made more convincing with an accompanying image showing bags lined up at the airport, with a sign that reads 'Lost Luggage $3'.

To appear legitimate, the comments section of the scam post is also filled with fake accounts claiming they have placed orders and received suitcases filled with expensive clothes, electronics, and luxury items.

The scam attempts to link back to Sydney Airport, either having 'Sydney' or 'Kingsford Smith' in the title.

One such fake customer wrote, 'I’m not sure how it works, but all shoes are my size, other clothes a little bigger, but I don’t mind.'

'It's so great that instead of disposing of all this thing, they give it to the people at such a low price,' another fake customer added.

'We would urge everyone to stay vigilant to social media scams and only trust information from Sydney Airport’s official verified accounts,' the spokesperson reiterated.

While it's true that Sydney Airport does hold lost property auctions for unclaimed luggage, the proceeds from these auctions are donated to charity.

It is understood that the airport does not sell unclaimed luggage for $3 on social media platforms.
Key Takeaways

• Travellers are being warned about a new scam claiming to sell lost luggage from Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport for $3.
  • The scam is circulating on social media, with posts containing fake testimonials and photos to entice potential victims.
  • Sydney Airport has confirmed the scam and reported it to Facebook, They also advised people to only trust information from the airport's official verified accounts.
Remember, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Stay vigilant and protect yourself from online scams.

Have you encountered any online scams recently? Share your experiences in the comments below to help raise awareness and protect others.

Once again if you fall for this scam you are a fool and deserve to lose everything!

Reactions: DJRayner and Petra

View attachment 38458

Key Takeaways

Smarten up people......more scams out there than you would believe.

Once again if you fall for this scam you are a fool and deserve to lose everything!
No-one deserves to lose everything BruceC but I don’t have a lot of sympathy for people who do. I wish that people would be more vigilant. If it’s cheap & sounds to good to be true then it’s usually dodgy.

Who on earth wants someone else's luggage. $3 or not.
Exactly! Serve them right if they get someone’s dirty laundry. My son flew home from Perth with 2 extra cases containing our new outdoor chair cushions (company wouldn’t deliver to Tassie😡) they all arrived with him but someone would’ve got a shock if that had been lost & sold. Though they did contain Apple AirTags & I wouldn’t like to be confronted by my rarely angry son.

Reactions: Big G and DJRayner
Smarten up people......more scams out there than you would believe.
My late dad often said, when yet another older person appeared on tv complaining that they’d paid for a job upfront & no one came back, “older people are always saying that they’ve lived longer & are wiser with more common sense so why are so many completely stupid“. This was when he was in his late eighties.

Reactions: gentlejack
Painfully obvious scam. If an airport has this much lost luggage, it show how bad the system is. Recently I have noticed that on FB scam ads, there are reviews stating how great something is when in fact these reviews are all made up profiles from the scammer.
IF IT'S ON FB TREAT IT AS A SCAM. IF YOU DON'T AND LOOSE YOUR MONEY, DON'T COMPLAIN.

No-one deserves to lose everything BruceC but I don’t have a lot of sympathy for people who do. I wish that people would be more vigilant. If it’s cheap & sounds to good to be true then it’s usually dodgy.
If you give your personal info away then you do deserve to lose everything!

View attachment 38458

Key Takeaways

I have been left shaking my head over a post on my facebook local community page. This single mother has paid four payments to someone she has never met to buy a car she has never seen apart from a photo. She just paid the last payment and of course the person has now deleted everything online. This woman knows she was stupid and never doing any of this. 1. Never going and seeing the car or test driven it or had it checked out 2. Meeting the seller in person and getting receipts for payments (she thought he was being kind in letting her pay it off over four payments). Unbelievable that someone would be so naive in this day and age of scams.

Reactions: PattiB and DJRayner
I have been left shaking my head over a post on my facebook local community page. This single mother has paid four payments to someone she has never met to buy a car she has never seen apart from a photo. She just paid the last payment and of course the person has now deleted everything online. This woman knows she was stupid and never doing any of this. 1. Never going and seeing the car or test driven it or had it checked out 2. Meeting the seller in person and getting receipts for payments (she thought he was being kind in letting her pay it off over four payments). Unbelievable that someone would be so naive in this day and age of scams.
People really are unbelievably stupid.

Reactions: Mika in the van
I have been left shaking my head over a post on my facebook local community page. This single mother has paid four payments to someone she has never met to buy a car she has never seen apart from a photo. She just paid the last payment and of course the person has now deleted everything online. This woman knows she was stupid and never doing any of this. 1. Never going and seeing the car or test driven it or had it checked out 2. Meeting the seller in person and getting receipts for payments (she thought he was being kind in letting her pay it off over four payments). Unbelievable that someone would be so naive in this day and age of scams

Unbelievably stupid.
No sympathy whatsoever!
Deserves to lose everything she has!

• Sad
Reactions: PattiB
I think of it as an education plan...the quickest way to learn something is when it hurts..I bet this person 's friends now have an education as well as she now has a 'degree' in scamming and it wont happen again.....(.or will it)

Reactions: BruceC and PattiB

View attachment 38458

Key Takeaways

Came across another similar scam on facebook Sat. advertising a pallet filled with boxes of DeWalt tools.It satd Bunnings had not renewed DeWalts contract this year so they were clearing all their tools for $3 a box. Out of interest I followed the link to see how they were going to get money from this scam and found they were farming all your card details as the only payment method, no pickups. Deleted out at that stage and reported the ad. Not that it does any good as facebook is only in it for the money and has no conscience.

• Sad
Not exactly the intent of the story, but lost luggage has printed tags so this could be a thing of the past if airport staff simply scan the tag and contact the person who has lost the luggage.

Yep, all baggage has a tag and that tag is digitally connected to a traveller by name, flight number, and the flight number and name are also digitally connected to an address. So how are people "losing" their luggage? A few lost (or unclaimed) items may be from carry on baggage but certainly not the large amount of suitcases shown in the (fake) photos.

Wake up and see this as a massive scam to get you to pay for something which is not there and which you won't ever receive.