Beware! New house number scam threatens Aussie residents

Attention, homeowners! We have an important update that you should be aware of. A concerning and deceptive scam has recently surfaced, involving impostors pretending to be government officials.

An Aussie took to social media to share their experience with this fraudulent scheme. Now, they are speaking out to warn their fellow homeowners, emphasising the utmost importance of remaining vigilant.

So, how does this scam unfold? According to a post on the popular forum website Reddit, they encountered a young woman in her mid-20s dressed in a plain high-visibility vest.

She claimed to be a government scout offering a supposedly 'invaluable' service of painting or repainting house numbers on the kerb.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 3.42.12 PM.png
Some scammers pose as council workers and demand $50 to paint your house number on the street kerb. Credit: Shutterstock.

Her pitch was that this service was essential for emergency vehicles to navigate the neighbourhood effectively, and she charged a steep fee of $50.

Fortunately, the homeowner's instincts kicked in, and he couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. He declined the offer and did some online research about similar situations.

To his relief, his suspicions were confirmed. Reports of similar scam stories were emerging everywhere, especially in the Gold Coast area.

Fellow Australian homeowners on the forum wasted no time responding and sharing their experiences of similar scams in different regions of the country.

One forum user suggested calling the local authorities and recounted their experience, 'In Melbourne, the police actually visited our home, investigating reports of people carrying out the same scam. They were gathering evidence following an arrest.'

Another mentioned an incident in Perth where scammers would paint kerb numbers and subsequently approach homeowners—usually targeting older adults—demanding payment at their doorstep.

Others argued that charging $50 for a relatively straightforward paint job was, at the very least, a scam or a blatant rip-off. 'They're charging you $50 for them using a stencil and 20 cents of paint,' one user commented.

Added another: 'Someone went round and offered this for all the houses in our neighbourhood years ago. Pretty sure they did it for $10 back then. Not a “council worker”, though.'

A third said, 'Saying you're from the government and then asking for money really isn't smart. If you're from the government, you're being paid by my rates, so you better paint it for free, or I'm calling the police for you impersonating a government official.'

While many believed that the incident was suspicious, others mentioned the existence of legitimate groups or organisations engaged in painting jobs to earn a modest income—and no, they’re not scammers.

One homeowner said, 'This used to be a great business for teenagers minus the deception part. They would go door to door and offer to paint for $5. Most people would happily say yes as it's quite practical, and people appreciated the entrepreneurial efforts to make some money.'

Another agreed and added, 'I had a guy come around and offer it for $20 a few years ago, but he never claimed he was from the council. He was just some guy trying to make a few extra bucks. Good on him.'

Key Takeaways

• Australian residents are being warned about a scam targeting homeowners, where fraudsters pose as government council workers and demand $50 to paint house numbers on the street kerb.
  • A Queensland resident shared this scam on Reddit. The resident denied the offer and discovered that similar scams had been reported elsewhere in Queensland.
  • Many Reddit users reacted to this post, claiming the same scam has been operating in other parts of Australia, advising people to report such incidents to the police.
  • While many agreed that this used to be a legitimate job for teenagers or charity groups, most conclude that charging $50 while impersonating a 'council worker' is a clear red flag signifying it's a scam.

Members, it's important to stay sharp and keep an eye out for those sneaky scams and con artists lurking around, just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting victims. So, always trust your gut and be a little sceptical when something seems fishy. If you ever smell trouble, don't hesitate to contact your local authorities. They're there to help!

When it comes to battling scams, knowledge is power. That's why, here at the SDC, we're all about informing you about the latest scams and how to protect yourself. Feel free to visit the Scam Watch forum for more information.

Have you ever encountered a situation where someone pretended to be a 'council worker' or something similar? How did you handle it? We'd love to hear your stories! Drop them in the comments below, and let's learn from each other.

Sponsored
Attention, homeowners! We have an important update that you should be aware of. A concerning and deceptive scam has recently surfaced, involving impostors pretending to be government officials.

An Aussie took to social media to share their experience with this fraudulent scheme. Now, they are speaking out to warn their fellow homeowners, emphasising the utmost importance of remaining vigilant.

So, how does this scam unfold? According to a post on the popular forum website Reddit, they encountered a young woman in her mid-20s dressed in a plain high-visibility vest.

She claimed to be a government scout offering a supposedly 'invaluable' service of painting or repainting house numbers on the kerb.

View attachment 23684
Some scammers pose as council workers and demand $50 to paint your house number on the street kerb. Credit: Shutterstock.

Her pitch was that this service was essential for emergency vehicles to navigate the neighbourhood effectively, and she charged a steep fee of $50.

Fortunately, the homeowner's instincts kicked in, and he couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. He declined the offer and did some online research about similar situations.

To his relief, his suspicions were confirmed. Reports of similar scam stories were emerging everywhere, especially in the Gold Coast area.

Fellow Australian homeowners on the forum wasted no time responding and sharing their experiences of similar scams in different regions of the country.

One forum user suggested calling the local authorities and recounted their experience, 'In Melbourne, the police actually visited our home, investigating reports of people carrying out the same scam. They were gathering evidence following an arrest.'

Another mentioned an incident in Perth where scammers would paint kerb numbers and subsequently approach homeowners—usually targeting older adults—demanding payment at their doorstep.

Others argued that charging $50 for a relatively straightforward paint job was, at the very least, a scam or a blatant rip-off. 'They're charging you $50 for them using a stencil and 20 cents of paint,' one user commented.

Added another: 'Someone went round and offered this for all the houses in our neighbourhood years ago. Pretty sure they did it for $10 back then. Not a “council worker”, though.'

A third said, 'Saying you're from the government and then asking for money really isn't smart. If you're from the government, you're being paid by my rates, so you better paint it for free, or I'm calling the police for you impersonating a government official.'

While many believed that the incident was suspicious, others mentioned the existence of legitimate groups or organisations engaged in painting jobs to earn a modest income—and no, they’re not scammers.

One homeowner said, 'This used to be a great business for teenagers minus the deception part. They would go door to door and offer to paint for $5. Most people would happily say yes as it's quite practical, and people appreciated the entrepreneurial efforts to make some money.'

Another agreed and added, 'I had a guy come around and offer it for $20 a few years ago, but he never claimed he was from the council. He was just some guy trying to make a few extra bucks. Good on him.'

Key Takeaways

• Australian residents are being warned about a scam targeting homeowners, where fraudsters pose as government council workers and demand $50 to paint house numbers on the street kerb.
  • A Queensland resident shared this scam on Reddit. The resident denied the offer and discovered that similar scams had been reported elsewhere in Queensland.
  • Many Reddit users reacted to this post, claiming the same scam has been operating in other parts of Australia, advising people to report such incidents to the police.
  • While many agreed that this used to be a legitimate job for teenagers or charity groups, most conclude that charging $50 while impersonating a 'council worker' is a clear red flag signifying it's a scam.

Members, it's important to stay sharp and keep an eye out for those sneaky scams and con artists lurking around, just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting victims. So, always trust your gut and be a little sceptical when something seems fishy. If you ever smell trouble, don't hesitate to contact your local authorities. They're there to help!

When it comes to battling scams, knowledge is power. That's why, here at the SDC, we're all about informing you about the latest scams and how to protect yourself. Feel free to visit the Scam Watch forum for more information.

Have you ever encountered a situation where someone pretended to be a 'council worker' or something similar? How did you handle it? We'd love to hear your stories! Drop them in the comments below, and let's learn from each other.
I got done by this mob about 15 years ago, 10 bucks I think, the thing is the numbers lasted a huge amount of time and did reflect in the dark, so not sure if I got ripped off or not, well I did when the council dug my drive way up and they were gone and never replaced, they lasted quite a few years to be honest.

Yes, I also had mine done about five years ago. Don't remember how much I paid, but it wasn't $50. He didn't make any misrepresentation or push the point, just asked if we would like it done.
Most of the street had it done, all the numbers are still there.
I thought it was a very good idea, don't feel like I was scammed.

View attachment 23684

Key Takeaways

The scammers can go to hell. If could bend at the knees easily I would do it for the cost of the paint even getting around in my 3 wheeled mobility scooter, but I cant find the spare knee department anywhere in Bunnings

Hello everyone, All Scammers can go to hell. About 6 weeks ago I was doing research on my computer, I clicked on the image, next thing my computer had gone beserk. My computer had been hacked. These seceurity -police were at my computer. I feel stressed now. Lights were flashing at me & an emergency number to contact microsoft security. I phoned & spoke to a wonderful young man, I had to follow instructions, Thankyou for me captel phone, i could read the instructions, this man was very patient , the first task was to hit the ctrl key at the same time as the key on the right, a window a badly built one. Successful. For the next hour I had follow & read instructions. One stage I knocked my mouse accidently. I lost what I was working on. The microsoft man got me back. Good. I had to keep my computer closed, for the next 28 hours.I thought I can tick this off my bucket list now. Those Hackers were watching my Bank accounts. They didn't touch any funds then. On the 29th June the got me, they were waiting, fradulent transactions, $1, $80, & $1. Total $82. I got onto card services for my Bank & they transferred me to security, I was waiting close to the hour, not good, stress levels going up, I was a basket case. Finally the black visa debit card was cancelled, new one by courier 2 to 3 working days. They would eventually attack my pink visa card, cancel this one too, that will come a week later. I cried in my sleep last night realising wat these scammers had done. there was no traking information on the transactions.I feel damaged financially. this is not my world. Just imagine if we close online down for a month. This would really annoy the scammers. I have had one too many scams, this one made me so down on the whole system. Even though this has happened I will always get my smile back for my friends. Thanks for reading. Bye Everyone. Be kind to yourself.

Hello everyone, All Scammers can go to hell. About 6 weeks ago I was doing research on my computer, I clicked on the image, next thing my computer had gone beserk. My computer had been hacked. These seceurity -police were at my computer. I feel stressed now. Lights were flashing at me & an emergency number to contact microsoft security. I phoned & spoke to a wonderful young man, I had to follow instructions, Thankyou for me captel phone, i could read the instructions, this man was very patient , the first task was to hit the ctrl key at the same time as the key on the right, a window a badly built one. Successful. For the next hour I had follow & read instructions. One stage I knocked my mouse accidently. I lost what I was working on. The microsoft man got me back. Good. I had to keep my computer closed, for the next 28 hours.I thought I can tick this off my bucket list now. Those Hackers were watching my Bank accounts. They didn't touch any funds then. On the 29th June the got me, they were waiting, fradulent transactions, $1, $80, & $1. Total $82. I got onto card services for my Bank & they transferred me to security, I was waiting close to the hour, not good, stress levels going up, I was a basket case. Finally the black visa debit card was cancelled, new one by courier 2 to 3 working days. They would eventually attack my pink visa card, cancel this one too, that will come a week later. I cried in my sleep last night realising wat these scammers had done. there was no traking information on the transactions.I feel damaged financially. this is not my world. Just imagine if we close online down for a month. This would really annoy the scammers. I have had one too many scams, this one made me so down on the whole system. Even though this has happened I will always get my smile back for my friends. Thanks for reading. Bye Everyone. Be kind to yourself.
These people are very low. We have to be very vigilant and it is not easy. It may have been stressful for you Jenelle, but you got through it and can still be thoughtful to others. Well done.

First and only scan we've fallen victim to about 5 or more years ago but nothing since. After my husband gave the young female 'thief' permission he came in and told me about it. That's when I said no don't let them do it, but it was too late. Anyhow it has lasted very well since then and actually is visible even in low light, so apart from the scam and someone making some $s on us it has lasted well. They must have rellies in WA to have it happen there also!!!

View attachment 23684

Key Takeaways

Well many years ago ,there were some young enterprising individuals who did most of our street Numbers for a $10 fee- reasonable price. now abit faded and dull,nevertheless,i'm sure householders would prefer something on the curb,sure its easy for location for Ambulance & Police if need in emergencies.

The scammers can go to hell. If could bend at the knees easily I would do it for the cost of the paint even getting around in my 3 wheeled mobility scooter, but I cant find the spare knee department anywhere in Bunnings
I been looking for that as well tipsy, they seem to have moved it.😐

I don't know if this is a scam. I recall it being a door knock thing as far back as the 1980s. I came across this in both Melbourne and Queensland and, from memory, was much like the guys who wash your windscreen at traffic lights etc. If you pay they do the job, they don't try to swindle you out of money.
At least they are getting off their bums and providing a service for a fee 😎

1688363173377.png

Thankyou Jenelle Maree for sharing this scam with us. If something similar happens to me I'll have an idea of the action to take. Will pass this on too.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
We had our numbers painted a few months ago. A man came to the door, said he was painting house numbers on the kerb, in two places for $20. Ours hadn't been done for over 20 years and had worn off, so I said yes. He explained how he does them, a black number on a white square background. He paints all the white backgrounds in the street first, then the black numbers (so the white paint can dry first). He did a good job, good paint that shows up well at night, I'm happy! They aren't all scammers.

I got done by this mob about 15 years ago, 10 bucks I think, the thing is the numbers lasted a huge amount of time and did reflect in the dark, so not sure if I got ripped off or not, well I did when the council dug my drive way up and they were gone and never replaced, they lasted quite a few years to be honest.
Sounds like you got a good deal if it did reflect in the dark as they should. It's just a pity the council didn't replace it for you .

Reactions: Ezzy