BEWARE: Millions lost to 'Hi Mum' scam—and it just got more cunning!

In 2022, a simple yet devastating scam swept across Australia, leaving thousands of victims in its wake.

Known as the 'Hi Mum' scam, it preyed on the parental instinct to help their children in times of need.

The scam was alarmingly effective, with over 11,000 incidents reported in Australia that year alone.

Now, as we move into 2024, the National Australia Bank (NAB) has issued a warning that this scam has evolved, becoming even more sophisticated and potentially more damaging.

SDC 5.png
The 'Hi Mum' has reportedly evolved and become more sophisticated. Image source: Freepik.

The original 'Hi Mum' scam involved criminals sending text messages to victims, posing as their children in distress and urgently needing financial help.

However, the 'Hi Mum' scam has now undergone a chilling upgrade.

According to NAB Chief Digital Officer Suj Rana, the scammers are now using voice impersonation technology to make phone calls to their victims.

'What's changed is the “Hi Mum” was a text message, and this has now evolved to become a phone call that a person will receive pretending to be from a family member that is in distress,' he explained.

'They can make these phone calls from as little as three seconds of video that is often obtained from your social media profile or from a voicemail.'

While Rana said that they have not received any reports of customers falling victim to this type of scam, it’s only a matter of time.

'We are seeing these scams already occurring in the US and UK…but we are expecting over the next few months for this type of scam to head Down Under.'

So, how can you protect yourself and your loved ones from falling victim to this upgraded scam?

Tip
The first step is to be aware of the warning signs.

If you receive an unexpected phone call from a 'loved one', especially from an unfamiliar number, be cautious.

If the caller is urgently asking for money and insisting that you don't tell anyone else, this is a major red flag.

Scamwatch, a website run by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), also advises being wary of callers asking for security information, bank account or card details, or suggesting that your accounts have been compromised.

If a caller asks you to install software or access a secure account on your phone or computer, this is another sign that you could be dealing with a scammer.

If you're unsure about the legitimacy of a call, Rana advised hanging up and trying to contact the person back through a method you trust before transferring any money.

'A lot of these scams start with your social media because that is where they get the audio content from, so it is important you review your profiles and wherever possible, set them to private or set them to locked,' he added.

In addition to these precautions, Scamwatch recommends letting calls from unknown numbers go to voicemail and hanging up on anybody who threatens you.

They also remind everyone to never give remote access to their computer and to avoid clicking on links in texts or emails.

If you believe you've been scammed, contact your bank immediately to report the scam and cancel any transactions.

Change your passwords on all online accounts and devices, and contact IDCARE on 1800 595 160 if you need further support.
Key Takeaways
  • NAB has warned about new scams involving voice impersonation technology, which are an evolution of the 'Hi Mum' text message scam.
  • The scammers use brief audio snippets, often from social media, to imitate family members in distress, asking for money over the phone.
  • There are warning signs to look out for, such as unexpected calls from unknown numbers or urgent requests for payment and secrecy.
  • To protect oneself, it is advised to confirm the identity of a caller through trusted means, set social media profiles to private, and never give out personal information or remote access to devices.
You can also visit our Scam Watch forum for more information on the latest scams.

Have you or someone you know been targeted by a scam like this? Share your experiences and tips for staying safe in the comments below.

Sponsored
In 2022, a simple yet devastating scam swept across Australia, leaving thousands of victims in its wake.

Known as the 'Hi Mum' scam, it preyed on the parental instinct to help their children in times of need.

The scam was alarmingly effective, with over 11,000 incidents reported in Australia that year alone.

Now, as we move into 2024, the National Australia Bank (NAB) has issued a warning that this scam has evolved, becoming even more sophisticated and potentially more damaging.

View attachment 39268
The 'Hi Mum' has reportedly evolved and become more sophisticated. Image source: Freepik.

The original 'Hi Mum' scam involved criminals sending text messages to victims, posing as their children in distress and urgently needing financial help.

According to NAB Chief Digital Officer Suj Rana, the scammers are now using voice impersonation technology to make phone calls to their victims.

'What's changed is the “Hi Mum” was a text message, and this has now evolved to become a phone call that a person will receive pretending to be from a family member that is in distress,' he explained.

'They can make these phone calls from as little as three seconds of video that is often obtained from your social media profile or from a voicemail.'

While Rana said that they have not received any reports of customers falling victim to this type of scam, it’s only a matter of time.

'We are seeing these scams already occurring in the US and UK…but we are expecting over the next few months for this type of scam to head Down Under.'

So, how can you protect yourself and your loved ones from falling victim to this upgraded scam?

Tip

If you receive an unexpected phone call from a 'loved one', especially from an unfamiliar number, be cautious.

If the caller is urgently asking for money and insisting that you don't tell anyone else, this is a major red flag.

Scamwatch, a website run by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), also advises being wary of callers asking for security information, bank account or card details, or suggesting that your accounts have been compromised.

If a caller asks you to install software or access a secure account on your phone or computer, this is another sign that you could be dealing with a scammer.

If you're unsure about the legitimacy of a call, Rana advised hanging up and trying to contact the person back through a method you trust before transferring any money.

'A lot of these scams start with your social media because that is where they get the audio content from, so it is important you review your profiles and wherever possible, set them to private or set them to locked,' he added.

In addition to these precautions, Scamwatch recommends letting calls from unknown numbers go to voicemail and hanging up on anybody who threatens you.

They also remind everyone to never give remote access to their computer and to avoid clicking on links in texts or emails.

If you believe you've been scammed, contact your bank immediately to report the scam and cancel any transactions.

Change your passwords on all online accounts and devices, and contact IDCARE on 1800 595 160 if you need further support.
Key Takeaways

• NAB has warned about new scams involving voice impersonation technology, which are an evolution of the 'Hi Mum' text message scam.
  • The scammers use brief audio snippets, often from social media, to imitate family members in distress, asking for money over the phone.
  • There are warning signs to look out for, such as unexpected calls from unknown numbers or urgent requests for payment and secrecy.
  • To protect oneself, it is advised to confirm the identity of a caller through trusted means, set social media profiles to private, and never give out personal information or remote access to devices.
You can also visit our Scam Watch forum for more information on the latest scams.

Have you or someone you know been targeted by a scam like this? Share your experiences and tips for staying safe in the comments below.
I don’t respond to the messages because I don’t have children

View attachment 39268

Tip

Key Takeaways

These low-life scammers get rich on vulnerable people....we all need to get smarter 🙄🥺

I've had plenty of these messages through what's app, and I've played a bit . When I asked what child they replied, of course, your favourite, your eldest , then I've asked as your a twin ,my son or daughter they then reply you son. I have no twins and my eldest is a girl.

I know my kids would never call and ask for money and if they lost or damaged their phones they would know my number.

Everyone has to take extra precautions in my family we have set a very unique password which was made in person and if anyone was in trouble or needed money they will use this password

View attachment 39268

Tip

Key Takeaways

I've told my kid's (adults now)I will never click on messages from them that says I've lost my phone, need money etc I've told them to ring day or night no matter what time it is so no bullshit text happen scammers need to be found and hit between the eye's Southey can't see the screen parasites 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I've told my kid's (adults now)I will never click on messages from them that says I've lost my phone, need money etc I've told them to ring day or night no matter what time it is so no bullshit text happen scammers need to be found and hit between the eye's Southey can't see the screen parasites 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
The only thing is this post is to warn us they the scammers have gone one up and that is they are calling using a voice identical to you son or daughter.

View attachment 39268

Tip

Key Takeaways

when my daughter travels we have a secret code word for just such an event, she asks very concerned about her precious dog" wimpy" in the conversation re the trouble she's in....we dont have a dog!

when my daughter travels we have a secret code word for just such an event, she asks very concerned about her precious dog" wimpy" in the conversation re the trouble she's in....we dont have a dog!
Perhaps you need to change that now you have made it public - one never knows but they could be monitoring this site as it is for us oldies.

I had an email this morning, supposedly from Pay Pal, telling me to check you have been paid.
I was not needing to be paid by anyone. So perhaps they are using Pay Pal ID now.
Make sure you have security on your devices, that lock your passwords. 🔒

I've had plenty of these messages through what's app, and I've played a bit . When I asked what child they replied, of course, your favourite, your eldest , then I've asked as your a twin ,my son or daughter they then reply you son. I have no twins and my eldest is a girl.

I know my kids would never call and ask for money and if they lost or damaged their phones they would know my number.

Everyone has to take extra precautions in my family we have set a very unique password which was made in person and if anyone was in trouble or needed money they will use this password
I love how this is actually payback for them wasting your time: you waste their time back! :ROFLMAO: Nasty things...

This is actually sound advice! I'm taking down notes, @Phantom55 :D

View attachment 39268

Tip

Key Takeaways

Centrlink asks for a voice print if you phone them up. To avoid it you have to say "Not at this time", which of course gives them a voice print...

Reactions: Gsr
The first clue here is they can't speak the way your kids do. They might have the voice but lack the personality of the way your kids talk.

Reactions: Gsr
I had an email this morning, supposedly from Pay Pal, telling me to check you have been paid.
I was not needing to be paid by anyone. So perhaps they are using Pay Pal ID now.
Make sure you have security on your devices, that lock your passwords. 🔒
Yes they have been using Pay Pal as well as banks. I always log in to my accounts via my log in. I never log in via a link I am sent unless I am on the phone talking to the company, that I have called myself

Well done!! This works.

View attachment 39268

Tip

Key Takeaways

I found a simple way to verify these phone scammers that pretend to be one of my children. I ask them what is our password? They usually hang up after that.

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
If anyone were to ring me from a new phone number claiming to be one of my children we have a family code number known only to us, not used for anything else, not written anywhere. The scammers would be doing well to guess it. I also know their account numbers and would never transfer money to any other account if they needed money. And I never give out my account details to anyone. Surely everyone should know how to spot a scam by now.

Reactions: Ringdragon
Have never received one of these texts but my son nearly feel victim to a similar scam last yr when he got a text at work from 'Mum' asking for money to be transferred to an account. I have accounts with 2 different banks & he transfers board & rent to my account that he has on his app every wk but sometimes needs to be reminded to do this, so when he got the text he just assumed it was from me and I wanted the money put into my other account. It only clicked with him that the text wasn't from me as he went into his app, that's when he remembered he had me in his phone under my first name and not as MUM.
I have told my children that if I ever get a text/call from them that didn't show up as them on my phone then I will be ignoring it.

Reactions: PattiB