Beware! Gmail users are being targeted by this sneaky tech support scam

In the technological age, email has become an essential part of our daily lives. It has evolved into one of our major core communication tools—whether it's for personal emails to family, emails to companies or businesses, or the occasional spam email.

However, emails also come with their own set of challenges.

Take, for instance, the users of Google's Gmail service who have recently encountered a 'sneaky' scam. This scam impersonates the email service's technical support team, causing trouble and inconvenience for unsuspecting users.

Members, we can't emphasise enough the importance of being on your guard when it comes to unsolicited emails. Remember the saying: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is?

Well, when receiving unsolicited tech support emails, the mantra should be: if it seems remotely dubious or fishy, then it probably is!

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 12.06.27 PM.png
Google has warned millions of Gmail users about a common scam impersonating the email service’s technical support team. Credit: Unsplash/solenfeyissa.

Google, the tech giant behind Gmail, issued a warning to Gmail users. They warned that users should be wary of anyone reaching out with unsolicited support, such as resetting your account credentials, changing your password, or any other issues related to your account.

Google has been clear there is only one legitimate channel to seek Gmail tech support, and that is via Gmail's Help Centre.

Scammers are using various methods, like pop-ups and misleading phone calls, to trick Gmail users into giving away their personal and banking information.

Google has issued a public warning, saying, 'Be aware of third-party websites or pop-ups that claim to offer technical support for Gmail and other Google products. These contacts and their websites have no affiliation to Google and may claim to provide password reset assistance as well as other Gmail-related support services.'

Google also mentioned that some of these scams might try to take even more money from people by asking for payment for their so-called 'support services'.

It's important to remember that 'Google does not charge users to recover their account credentials or change their password.'

It seems that cybercriminals are finding new ways to deceive people. Not only do they use annoying pop-ups, but now they're bold enough to call users directly, pretending to be helpful tech support. They may also try to trick you by claiming that your Google account has been taken over or that your computer is infected with dangerous viruses or malware.

These scammers can create a situation where you might unknowingly give them your account login information. If they succeed, they can take control of your account and demand a fee to 'unlock' it, leaving you in a compromised position.

To effectively identify warning signs and protect ourselves from scams, Google has shared some important guidelines that are easy to follow:

Take it slow: Scammers often try to create a sense of urgency to pressure you into making hasty decisions. It's crucial to resist that pressure. Take your time, ask questions, and think things through carefully.

Verify the information: Conduct thorough research to double-check the details you receive. Don't blindly trust everything you're told. Take the initiative to confirm whether the information is accurate and reliable. If something seems off or too good to be true, it probably is.

Pause and think: Never rush into sending money or sharing personal information. Reputable individuals or organisations will never demand immediate payment or your personal details. If someone insists on these things without giving you time to consider or verify, it's likely a scam.

By following these simple 'golden rules', we can improve our ability to spot scams and protect ourselves from falling victim to them.

Key Takeaways

• Google has warned millions of Gmail users about a common scam impersonating the email service's technical support team.
  • The tech giant has urged users to be wary of pop-ups and scam phone calls attempting to steal banking information and personal data.
  • The scammers claim to provide password reset assistance and other Gmail-related support services; some even request payment from users.
  • Google advised users to be cautious by slowing down, researching to double-check the details, and avoiding sending payment or personal information on the spot.

Always remember, if you ever receive an unsolicited support email regarding your account or personal information, your safest bet would be to directly contact the company via an official channel to verify the situation. Stay sharp, and watch out for those online pitfalls, members!

Have you come across these deceptive scammers posing as support staff? What did you do in that situation? Do you have any other advice or tips? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
In the technological age, email has become an essential part of our daily lives. It has evolved into one of our major core communication tools—whether it's for personal emails to family, emails to companies or businesses, or the occasional spam email.

Take, for instance, the users of Google's Gmail service who have recently encountered a 'sneaky' scam. This scam impersonates the email service's technical support team, causing trouble and inconvenience for unsuspecting users.

Members, we can't emphasise enough the importance of being on your guard when it comes to unsolicited emails. Remember the saying: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is?

Well, when receiving unsolicited tech support emails, the mantra should be: if it seems remotely dubious or fishy, then it probably is!

View attachment 24730
Google has warned millions of Gmail users about a common scam impersonating the email service’s technical support team. Credit: Unsplash/solenfeyissa.

Google, the tech giant behind Gmail, issued a warning to Gmail users. They warned that users should be wary of anyone reaching out with unsolicited support, such as resetting your account credentials, changing your password, or any other issues related to your account.

Google has been clear there is only one legitimate channel to seek Gmail tech support, and that is via Gmail's Help Centre.

Scammers are using various methods, like pop-ups and misleading phone calls, to trick Gmail users into giving away their personal and banking information.

Google has issued a public warning, saying, 'Be aware of third-party websites or pop-ups that claim to offer technical support for Gmail and other Google products. These contacts and their websites have no affiliation to Google and may claim to provide password reset assistance as well as other Gmail-related support services.'

Google also mentioned that some of these scams might try to take even more money from people by asking for payment for their so-called 'support services'.

It's important to remember that 'Google does not charge users to recover their account credentials or change their password.'

It seems that cybercriminals are finding new ways to deceive people. Not only do they use annoying pop-ups, but now they're bold enough to call users directly, pretending to be helpful tech support. They may also try to trick you by claiming that your Google account has been taken over or that your computer is infected with dangerous viruses or malware.

These scammers can create a situation where you might unknowingly give them your account login information. If they succeed, they can take control of your account and demand a fee to 'unlock' it, leaving you in a compromised position.

To effectively identify warning signs and protect ourselves from scams, Google has shared some important guidelines that are easy to follow:

Take it slow: Scammers often try to create a sense of urgency to pressure you into making hasty decisions. It's crucial to resist that pressure. Take your time, ask questions, and think things through carefully.

Verify the information: Conduct thorough research to double-check the details you receive. Don't blindly trust everything you're told. Take the initiative to confirm whether the information is accurate and reliable. If something seems off or too good to be true, it probably is.

Pause and think: Never rush into sending money or sharing personal information. Reputable individuals or organisations will never demand immediate payment or your personal details. If someone insists on these things without giving you time to consider or verify, it's likely a scam.

By following these simple 'golden rules', we can improve our ability to spot scams and protect ourselves from falling victim to them.

Key Takeaways

• Google has warned millions of Gmail users about a common scam impersonating the email service's technical support team.
  • The tech giant has urged users to be wary of pop-ups and scam phone calls attempting to steal banking information and personal data.
  • The scammers claim to provide password reset assistance and other Gmail-related support services; some even request payment from users.
  • Google advised users to be cautious by slowing down, researching to double-check the details, and avoiding sending payment or personal information on the spot.

Always remember, if you ever receive an unsolicited support email regarding your account or personal information, your safest bet would be to directly contact the company via an official channel to verify the situation. Stay sharp, and watch out for those online pitfalls, members!

Have you come across these deceptive scammers posing as support staff? What did you do in that situation? Do you have any other advice or tips? Share them with us in the comments below!

The internet is not essential to our lives. Pay bills by cheque through the postal service. Refuse to accept bills coming through the intenet. Don't do internet banking. Tear up that plastic card. Tell government departments to send you information/bills via the ostal service. delete all emails form people you don't know. Throw away your mobile phone.

Simple.

Just ignore emails and text messages, if it's Genuine they will send you postal proof of their intentions.
"eg" power bills, water rates, gas and God what else.
(Official letter head and fake proof watermarks) are close to impossible to forge, the cost to a scammer would be prohibitive. I've been on this planet for 69 years and seen lots of scams even ones supposedly from my own server (internode) so remember, leave them alone, genuine companies do understand the worries that a lot of their customers do go thru and will post the bills direct to you.
DON'T LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN!!!

The internet is not essential to our lives. Pay bills by cheque through the postal service. Refuse to accept bills coming through the intenet. Don't do internet banking. Tear up that plastic card. Tell government departments to send you information/bills via the ostal service. delete all emails form people you don't know. Throw away your mobile phone.

Simple.
HERE. HERE. Standing ovation required.(y)

Reactions: Sparkling petunia
I get scammers sending me emails, SMS's, phone calls and phone messages on a daily basis as well as scammers trying to be friends with me on Facebook.

I had a phone call from a fellow with a well spoken Australian accent who said he was a loans officer affiliated with my bank, he sent me an SMS message & left a message on my voicemail for me to contact him. This was just before the first homeloan bank interest rate rise.
I ignored him and I ignore them all.

Reactions: Sparkling petunia

View attachment 24730

Key Takeaways

Once again!
Sick to death of reading all these Warnings on scams!
If anyone falls for any scam there is only ONE PERSON to blame!
All you have to do is read the 2nd last paragraph!
If you get caught by any scam then you are stupid!
The old saying applies: Stupid is as stupid does!

Simple.
The internet is not essential to our lives! What are you doing on this forum then? You need to use the internet!!

I've got a Gmail account but never use it. Anything that does go to that I delete. I've only ever used my Hotmail and Outlook email accounts.

Simple.
Much as I sympathise with your position, and you can indeed still pay bills using the postal service and demand paper bills from your service suppliers, it will cost you more. Those same suppliers are required to provide paper bills if requested but they can also charge you for doing so. You can pay over the counter at the post office but you will likely pay a fee for doing so. Sending cheques by mail will cost you postage which continues to increase in cost and that is without considering that cheques are being phased out by all banks shortly. So yes, I can sympathise with your point of view, but am I prepared to pay more to make my bill payments? Well no, especially now with all costs continuing to rise, so why would I add to those costs when I don't have to? The only 'forced ' payment I will not agree to is direct debit payments and that is because I will never give access to my bank account to a third party particularly when I cannot cancel such an arrangement without the agreement of that third party! Yep I have been bitten by greedy gyms in the past.

View attachment 24730

Key Takeaways

There is a Norton 360 scam circulating. It starts off from a person and there is customer support number. Don't click on it.