'Better than Lego!' Nat Barr embarrassed after Sunrise airs famous throwback interview

After the breakfast show re-aired her controversial (and hilarious) 1997 interview with NRL veteran Matthew Johns on Tuesday morning, Sunrise host Natalie Barr was left with her cheeks flushed and an embarrassed expression on her face.

The interview, which took place after the Newcastle Knights won their very first championship ever, gave rise to the memorable term 'Better than Lego', which has since been associated with the team.

'This year marks 25 years since one of the all-time greatest interviews,' said David 'Kochie' Koch, as he showed the clip to the audience.

'Our very own Natalie Barr was in Newcastle following the Knights' maiden rugby league premiership win. She spoke to the grand final heroes Matthew and Andrew Johns in a chat that would create the iconic phrase "Better than Lego".'

vOR-y3m9nPtG4PRC0QFeyVkL2Lq-UV_zBYbVdwkMC_6gE7Tj_ucphP2kgcyxqcJmYogBC348OeTHbmwA3MXpvV6vny87NDFugCl-IGmdF5UDI2y1n9Hm_sRu1_oV5wcUquFppcKvXrTD80Z8ECHv5mVjQgwP5VFpksfhQlS4G8FyV6ibR-bSzALiHg

Nat Barr hid her face when her 1997 interview with NRL icon Matthew Johns was re-aired. Credit: Channel Seven.

Nat was 29 years old at the time of the throwback interview, and she was wearing a light-coloured buttoned-up blazer and had a short bob-style haircut.

She can be seen standing next to Matthew in what seemed to be a 'trashed' stadium, while Andrew ran behind them with a red bowler hat and no shirt on.

'The party is still continuing, it just has never stopped, really. And I don't think, as you can see, I don't think it will stop until at least next Saturday they're telling me, about a week of partying,' said Nat, who was still in the early years of her TV career.

After a bit of introduction, she went on to talk with the NRL legend beside her.

'With me, we've got Andrew Johns in the background, but Matthew here. Tell us a bit about what the feeling was like coming home to Newcastle last night?'

Without breaking eye contact with the camera, Matthew replied: 'Um, it was better than, ah… It was better than Lego.'

'It was better than Lego. It was better than Lego!'

'That really sums up the feeling, I think,' said Nat, who was seen trying her best to keep a straight face. In case you're interested in seeing the full video, here it is:

Credit: NRL Humour.

Nat was seen hiding her face in her hands when the vintage tape was shown, while the other hosts giggled and cheered enthusiastically.

The clip was also well-received on social media, with hundreds of fans and viewers taking to the comments section to praise Nat for the memorable interview.

'So cute Nat,' one user wrote, followed by another saying, 'The same wonderful Nat!'

'So funny!' a third went on to say, while plenty of other users simply tagged their friends and left laughing emojis.

Some people also wondered what Andrew was yelling in the background, but that probably won't be revealed until another time...

This is not the first time that older footage of Nat has been shown on Sunrise; in fact, it happens quite frequently. (This also shows how long Nat has been a part of the morning show already!)

Sam Mac, the weather presenter, discovered some 'lost' footage of Natalie introducing one of the first episodes of the breakfast show in 1996, much to Natalie's shock and embarrassment.

The Channel 7 host sported a crimson blazer with oversized shoulder pads, bob and fringe that were very '90s in this throwback video.

rviOGbz1R705Sk4YCC1bkdDcnM3mAiCKCy14wj0XsZd5elXJLr06D6lSsPWGacK4pvXUw-h6w4t_tf4iUllqFafYnR6wv8j4vimtEUoK8m7_yeSWLGqve6QupRjx6WhB1-HYhgrcZfncMkbhQUY869DFlo7c-tQt6WiqUoTQXZIjoimMrKJVwgZmoA

When Sunrise played back the video, host Natalie Barr couldn't contain her laughter. Credit: Seven.

When Mac visited the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra, he allegedly discovered the film, which he later presented live on television in 2020.

'That was the first time I'd ever sat at a desk and presented anything. I was absolutely frightened to death,' Barr said, 24 years after it was filmed.

'Chris Bath actually got the job, but Channel Nine wouldn't let her out of her contract. So they sort of looked around the newsroom and said, "You can do it", so I got the first two weeks of Sunrise.'

What do you think about this, folks? Do you remember Nat's early days on Sunrise? If so, do you also have a favourite segment from her? Let us know in the comments!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Sponsored