Better Homes and Garden reveals exciting new celebrity chef!

After two decades of culinary delights and kitchen camaraderie, Better Homes and Gardens bid farewell to the beloved chef 'Fast' Ed Halmagyi last year.

This left fans of the show with a burning question: Who could possibly fill those shoes?

It's none other than the charismatic and celebrated chef Colin Fassnidge, known for his role as a judge on My Kitchen Rules (MKR).

Starting from Friday, 2 February 2024, viewers can tune into Channel 7 and 7plus to see Fassnidge bring his unique blend of Irish charm and culinary expertise to the table.

This exciting change comes as Better Homes and Gardens celebrates its 30th anniversary, marking a new era for the show.

129348961_225679698926688_1331694677868703969_n.jpg
Colin Fassnidge will be the new Better Homes and Gardens chef. Credit: Colin Fassnidge / Facebook

Fassnidge, a popular TV personality and two-hatted chef, is thrilled to share his family recipes with the show's dedicated audience.

'Working on Better Homes and Gardens really feels like coming home,' he said.

'I've been friends with (host) Johanna Griggs ever since I started at Channel 7, and the rest of the cast and I get on like a house on fire.'

‘I can’t wait to get out on the road and travel around this beautiful country, cooking with some of the best and freshest produce in the world.’

Fassnidge is no stranger to the pressures of the culinary world, but he admitted that stepping into ‘Fast’ Ed's shoes is a bit daunting.

‘It’s a little bit scary, but it’s a good challenge and a lot of fun as well,’ he said.

'This show means a lot of things to a lot of people.’

'I'm going to bring a bit of Irish spice to the table!'

‘Fast’ Ed Halmagyi was known in the show for his passion for food and storytelling and has been a constant source of inspiration for viewers as he shared his love for food and the joy it brings.

His vision for his role on the show is to make cooking fun and affordable.

‘I want to do fun, affordable cooking—I’m a chef, but I’ve also got kids as well, so I know how hard it is to put food on the table in this day and age with the cost of living and interest rate rises,’ Fassnidge said.

‘I want to show people how they can use cheaper cuts of meat, how to save time, how to feed the family on a budget, but still make delicious meals.’

Fassnidge's connection with host Jo Griggs goes back to his first Australian season of MKR.

'She came around to my house and did a little cooking segment there,' he recalled.

'I've known her for years, and I see her all the time.'

‘I know most of the cast members, we run into each other around the traps all the time.’

‘So it’s not like I’m coming in out of the blue—but still, (the cast) were very welcoming.’

When asked why Better Homes and Gardens has remained a favourite among viewers for so long, Fassnidge believes it's because the show offers 'something for everybody’.

He said, 'I mean, let's face it, everybody has to cook, everyone's got a pet, everyone needs to fix something in the house, everyone's got a DIY project they want to do.'

‘And I think people are also trying to get back to that thing of watching TV together as a family, rather than just sitting there staring at an app, and this is the type of show that encourages that.’

Known for his occasional use of colourful language, Fassnidge assured viewers that he'd keep his vocabulary PG for the family-friendly show.

'There's no point in me trying to be “Fast” Ed or Karen (Martini); I have to do what I do, just without the swearing,' he laughed.

‘Other than that, I’m just being myself.’

‘I sort of slipped into the groove pretty quickly.’

Better Homes and Gardens Executive Producer Russell Palmer is excited to welcome Fassnidge to the team, marking a fresh new chapter for the show.

'He's a talented and well-respected chef and brings his own charm and innovation, which is sure to inspire our audience,' he said.

In addition to his new role on Better Homes and Gardens, Fassnidge will continue to co-host Seven’s home cooking hit MKR with Manu Feildel in 2024.

You can watch BHG’s welcome video to Fassnidge below:

Key Takeaways
  • Colin Fassnidge has been announced as the new celebrity chef on Better Homes and Gardens, replacing 'Fast' Ed Halmagyi.
  • Fassnidge aims to bring fun, affordable cooking to the show, focusing on family-friendly recipes and cost-effective meal preparation.
  • The show is celebrating its 30th anniversary, with Fassnidge set to share his culinary expertise with fans across Australia.
  • As a well-respected chef known for his cheeky charm, Fassnidge is expected to bring a fresh new chapter to Better Homes and Gardens while continuing to co-host MKR with Manu Feildel.
So, what do you think of this exciting new addition to the Better Homes and Gardens team? Are you looking forward to seeing what Colin Fassnidge brings to the table? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I for one am sick & tired of Better Homes & gardens. As with everybody else I have watched all the episodes for the last 20 years & am over it especially as it always seems to be what 7 trot out when nothing is exciting on the box. I am over it & now even with that Irishman on it I will not turn it on ever.

it said that he was a judge in your original newsletter here is a caption I had never heard it before
View attachment 39340
No he has never been a judge, maybe they got it mixed up with his replacement who is/ was a judge on My Kitchen Rules

It's none other than the charismatic and celebrated chef Colin Fassnidge, known for his role as a judge on My Kitchen Rules (MKR).

it said that he was a judge in your original newsletter here is a caption I had never heard it before
View attachment 39340
No he has never been a judge, maybe they got it mixed up with his replacement who is/ was a judge on My Kitchen Rules

Ah, I understand! Spot on, @maggiej and thanks @Suzanne rose! :D