Beloved 'Edelweiss' star Vince Hill passes away at 89

With profound regret, we must share the news of the passing of British pop sensation Vince Hill.

During the 60s and 70s, he played a pivotal role in the music scene, and his artistic contributions have left a lasting impact on millions worldwide.

Vince Hill, best known for his captivating rendition of 'Edelweiss' from The Sound of Music, peacefully passed away at 89 in his Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire home on July 22.

Born in Coventry in 1934, Vince Hill discovered his passion for singing during his teenage years, paving the way for a remarkable and enduring career.

compressed-vince-hill-shot-by-mike-prior-wide-650x450.jpeg
Vince Hill was a British singer known for his smooth and passionate voice, gaining popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. Source: vincehill.co.uk

In 1962, he released his debut album, The Rivers Run Dry, which propelled him to great popularity.

His songs, a reflection of the energy and romance of the era, left an indelible mark on all who heard them.

Who among us hasn't swayed, at some point or another, to his hit tracks like 'Take Me To Your Heart Again', 'Roses Of Picardy', 'Love Letters in the Sand' and 'Importance Of Your Love'?

Or seen an evening light up upon hearing the iconic intro notes of 'Edelweiss' or 'That Love Feeling'?

Johnny Mans, who first met Vince Hill in the early 70s, has shared heartfelt tributes, emphasising the special bond they developed over the years.

According to Mans, Hill was a 'true gentleman' known for his 'incredible professionalism' and a 'superb singing voice'.

‘Both Vince and his wife Annie became close friends to me and my family, and he will be missed by all who knew him. He was a star among men,’ Mans shared.

It was not just the singer’s music that touched millions of lives.

Hill, a man of varied talents, also made his mark in television and radio.

Legend-Vince-Hill-595x450-1.jpg
During his prime, Vince Hill's heartfelt performances earned him a devoted fanbase and several appearances on British television shows. Source: vincehill.co.uk

With the Vince Hill's Solid Gold Music Show on BBC Radio 2, his voice became familiar and ever-present on the airwaves.

His charm and charisma shone through on ITV's Gas Street chat show.

Vince Hill's career wasn't limited to TV and radio; he showcased his acting talent in productions such as the Royal Shakespeare Company's The Wizard of Oz and portrayed the beloved composer Ivor Novello in My Dearest Ivor.

Film enthusiasts hold dear memories of Vince Hill's vocal contributions to the 1966 action film Cast A Giant Shadow and the 1967 adventure film The Long Duel.

However, what truly sets Vince apart is his genuine connection with his audience and his ability to resonate with people's emotions.

His off-stage popularity matched his adoration, a testament to his deep bond with fans.

Beyond his music, Vince Hill's philanthropic endeavours, particularly in supporting health-related causes, showcased his generous spirit.

His passing created a significant void not only in the hearts of his fans but also among the individuals and charities he supported throughout his lifetime.

Here's a heartfelt video of Vince's soulful rendition of ‘Edelweiss’:

Key Takeaways
  • British pop singer Vince Hill, best known for his cover of Edelweiss, has died at the age of 89.
  • Vince Hill's career encompassed albums, captivating performances at prestigious venues, and TV and radio presenter roles.
  • Vince Hill recorded songs ‘Love Me True’ for the 1966 action film Cast A Giant Shadow and ‘When The World is Ready’ for the adventure movie The Long Duel.
  • Vince Hill's career extended to the theatre, where he played the role of the lion in a Royal Shakespeare Company's production of The Wizard of Oz and portrayed the renowned composer Ivor Novello in My Dearest Ivor.

In this moment of sorrow, let us come together to celebrate the life of Vince Hill and find solace in the legacy he leaves behind.

As you listen to your favourite Vince Hill song today, take a moment to reflect on the immense talent and extraordinary journey of this unforgettable artist.

Thank you, Vince, for the joy and memories you've brought into our lives. You will forever hold a place in our hearts, keeping the magic of the 60s and 70s alive.

Rest in peace.

Sponsored
Why do we get these articles about people half of us have never heard of let alone stuff on British radio shows? Sure it is sad when someone dies but I cannot mourn for all these random people!!! Aaaaaagh!
As I understand it, this site is for all Seniors living in Australia. We were not all born here, we come from many different backgrounds. When an item comes up about someone or something we don't know about, we either read it and find out more or we just scroll on by.

With profound regret, we must share the news of the passing of British pop sensation Vince Hill.

During the 60s and 70s, he played a pivotal role in the music scene, and his artistic contributions have left a lasting impact on millions worldwide.

Vince Hill, best known for his captivating rendition of 'Edelweiss' from The Sound of Music, peacefully passed away at 89 in his Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire home on July 22.

Born in Coventry in 1934, Vince Hill discovered his passion for singing during his teenage years, paving the way for a remarkable and enduring career.

View attachment 25955
Vince Hill was a British singer known for his smooth and passionate voice, gaining popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. Source: vincehill.co.uk

In 1962, he released his debut album, The Rivers Run Dry, which propelled him to great popularity.

His songs, a reflection of the energy and romance of the era, left an indelible mark on all who heard them.

Who among us hasn't swayed, at some point or another, to his hit tracks like 'Take Me To Your Heart Again', 'Roses Of Picardy', 'Love Letters in the Sand' and 'Importance Of Your Love'?

Or seen an evening light up upon hearing the iconic intro notes of 'Edelweiss' or 'That Love Feeling'?

Johnny Mans, who first met Vince Hill in the early 70s, has shared heartfelt tributes, emphasising the special bond they developed over the years.

According to Mans, Hill was a 'true gentleman' known for his 'incredible professionalism' and a 'superb singing voice'.

‘Both Vince and his wife Annie became close friends to me and my family, and he will be missed by all who knew him. He was a star among men,’ Mans shared.

View attachment 25956
During his prime, Vince Hill's heartfelt performances earned him a devoted fanbase and several appearances on British television shows. Source: vincehill.co.uk

With the Vince Hill's Solid Gold Music Show on BBC Radio 2, his voice became familiar and ever-present on the airwaves.

Vince Hill's career wasn't limited to TV and radio; he showcased his acting talent in productions such as the Royal Shakespeare Company's The Wizard of Oz and portrayed the beloved composer Ivor Novello in My Dearest Ivor.

Film enthusiasts hold dear memories of Vince Hill's vocal contributions to the 1966 action film Cast A Giant Shadow and the 1967 adventure film The Long Duel.

However, what truly sets Vince apart is his genuine connection with his audience and his ability to resonate with people's emotions.

His off-stage popularity matched his adoration, a testament to his deep bond with fans.

Beyond his music, Vince Hill's philanthropic endeavours, particularly in supporting health-related causes, showcased his generous spirit.

His passing created a significant void not only in the hearts of his fans but also among the individuals and charities he supported throughout his lifetime.

Key Takeaways

• British pop singer Vince Hill, best known for his cover of Edelweiss, has died at the age of 89.
  • Vince Hill's career encompassed albums, captivating performances at prestigious venues, and TV and radio presenter roles.
  • Vince Hill recorded songs ‘Love Me True’ for the 1966 action film Cast A Giant Shadow and ‘When The World is Ready’ for the adventure movie The Long Duel.
  • Vince Hill's career extended to the theatre, where he played the role of the lion in a Royal Shakespeare Company's production of The Wizard of Oz and portrayed the renowned composer Ivor Novello in My Dearest Ivor.

In this moment of sorrow, let us come together to celebrate the life of Vince Hill and find solace in the legacy he leaves behind.

As you listen to your favourite Vince Hill song today, take a moment to reflect on the immense talent and extraordinary journey of this unforgettable artist.

Thank you, Vince, for the joy and memories you've brought into our lives. You will forever hold a place in our hearts, keeping the magic of the 60s and 70s alive.

Rest in peace.

I think BIG M may be out of step here or perhaps the only person in the World not to appreciate the incredible World of Vince Hill ... RIP Vince and many thanks for the wonderful memories .

I used to listen to Vince Hill on the radio before I came to Australia. I have always liked him better than Humperdink. I have a couple of his songs too. RIP Vince. You will be greatly missed.

As I understand it, this site is for all Seniors living in Australia. We were not all born here, we come from many different backgrounds. When an item comes up about someone or something we don't know about, we either read it and find out more or we just scroll on by.
Nicely put, thank you 😊

absolutely jarrod 👍

Why do we get these articles about people half of us have never heard of let alone stuff on British radio shows? Sure it is sad when someone dies but I cannot mourn for all these random people!!! Aaaaaagh!
just scroll on by

Reactions: Gaena
Well put

Reactions: Gaena

View attachment 25955

View attachment 25956

Key Takeaways

Rest in peace.

Vince Hill died at 89 not 98.

No, I had never heard of him either. It sounds like he may have been an MOR vocalist who didn't get much airplay here, whereas I was more into Rock and Pop. Sinead O'Connor would be more worthy of mention as she gained fairly universal recognition.
Perhaps Senior's Discount Club could preface similar articles with words like 'Beloved British star' or words to that effect.

Reactions: SiouxheeQ
No, I had never heard of him either. It sounds like he may have been an MOR vocalist who didn't get much airplay here, whereas I was more into Rock and Pop. Sinead O'Connor would be more worthy of mention as she gained fairly universal recognition.
Perhaps Senior's Discount Club could preface similar articles with words like 'Beloved British star' or words to that effect.
Her political views tainted her tho

Maybe for some people, but I don't think that has stopped people being mentioned on this site before.
I didnt comment that she shouldnt be mentioned on this site I commented that her political views were controversial and I believe tainted her, so are you just trying to create conflict because someone other than you expressed an opinion.

I didnt comment that she shouldnt be mentioned on this site I commented that her political views were controversial and I believe tainted her, so are you just trying to create conflict because someone other than you expressed an opinion.
I'm not, but it sounds like you are!